DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   CBK-RGB Slog vs Ver !.4? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/509851-cbk-rgb-slog-vs-ver-4-a.html)

Ron Wilk August 7th, 2012 03:40 PM

CBK-RGB Slog vs Ver !.4?

Please forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but I am one of the early adopters who purchased the CBK-RGB upgrade when it first became available. And now that my F3 is loaded with Firmware version 1.4, I am not clear on the advantage of using the original path to S-Log.

I should state that I do use the "A" output for my Samurai 10 bi recorder, as well as the SDI monitor output for an Alphatron EVF. I do not, however, use LUTs or EI's and am not planning on 444. With the aforementioned uses in mind, is there any advantage in continuing to use the original S-Log setup over that made available with version 1.4?

Thank you in advance.

Alister Chapman August 8th, 2012 01:22 AM

Re: CBK-RGB Slog vs Ver !.4?

If you created a picture profile with matching matrix settings, detail off etc and always use 800iso the end result should be the same if your not using RGB and LUTs.

However I do like the fact that when you switch a camera with the RGB option to S-Log it locks all the settings to what they need to be so, less room for error. I'm also finding EI gain more and more useful for managing dynamic range.

Ron Wilk August 8th, 2012 08:53 AM

Hello Alister,
Thank you for your helpful comment.

Peter G. Johnson August 13th, 2012 02:20 AM

Enough was enough when s-log became free, so I sold the CBK-RGB for $500 on eBay. I use a Pix 240 as an external recorder and it still works via Port A HD-SDI.

Buying s-log was the greatest waste of money I've ever made. The second most was the $5 note I lost when I was 14 years old!

Rudy Wilms August 13th, 2012 06:56 PM

I did this video for the first time with the Ver 1.4 on regular sys card I am very happy with it and I am sure I will do all my next shoots with the Ver 1.4 slog

Ron Wilk August 14th, 2012 08:39 AM

I hope that example hasn't received the benefit of CC, since on my color calibrated monitor it has a significant green cast. BTW, I stopped using a Tiffen T1 because it imparted a green cast to my images.

But that said, since I am one of the F3 users to have made the unfortunate decision of purchasing the CBK-RGB upgrade, I will continue to use it in place of the version offered by firmware 1.4 because, I would hate give up on the investment and I feel that it continues to provide me with a greater degree of flexibility in post. Rather than use the camera's detail settings—if required—I'd rather apply sharpening and CC in post, as opposed to having it baked in by the cam's software. And although I have yet to experiment with it, I have been led to believe that one can use a LUT to achieve CC correction to the SxS card while in-camera.

Rudy Wilms August 14th, 2012 03:20 PM

The greenish style is not shot with the slog but with the JRvideo picture profile and that picture profile has a little green cast.So it is the indoors that is shot with the Ver 1.4 slog and if i had known it would turn out that well i would have done the outside with the Ver1.4 slog as well. I am still also experimenting I have no experience with the CBK-RGB slog but if I had bought it then i would certainly use it.It is a shame for the people that invested the money and even for the people like me compared to the people who buy the Sony F3 now.

Ron Wilk August 15th, 2012 11:00 AM

Hi Rudy,

Thank you for the clarification.
The 1.4 S-log is a great option, but since I already have the CBK-RGB I will continue to use it. I don't normally record to the SxS, but if I have the need to do so, I might consider using one of the built-in LUTS. In addition to passing through the SDI Monitor port, the LUTS will also record to the SxS cards, thereby hopefully placing the material closer to the desired ballpark for color that requires less correction.