Does this 60p workflow make sense? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old September 15th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Does this 60p workflow make sense?

Hello,
I have some shooting I'd like to do in 1080/60p
My client wants slow-mo at 1080p, and will be editing in Sony Vegas, so this is what I'm thinking of doing:

Set F3 to 1080/60i
Enable dual link outputs, which should then output 1080/60p
Will presumably set camera shutter to 1/120th
Record to C-D Gemini recorder.
Play back from Gemini as 4:2:2 and record directly to NanoFlash recorder (gemini seems to play back in 2:1 slow motion at 29.97p), which will then record the slow motion playback.
The NanoFlash MXF files will become the masters and can be edited directly in Vegas.
I did a test this morning and it all seems to work.
I already own the Gemini and NanoFlash, so it was easy to plug them into the workflow.
I don't really want to transfer straight from the Gemini's SSDs, since the Gemini records 60p to both of them simultaneously (and since I only have 3 512GB SSDs, I really only have one 'set of 2'), so I'll probably need to shoot / transfer / format SSDs / reuse SSDs.

So what I'm wondering is whether this all makes sense, or whether I'm missing anything in my logic?
Not planning on shooting S-Log because the NanoFlash is part of the workflow, plus I have a feeling the director/editor's color-correct skills may not be at that point.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Does this 60p workflow make sense?

David,
Did not realize the 60P PB on the Gemini was 2:1. ? How does the 422 8 bit material look zoomed in?
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Dennis,
Yes, the first test I did was to toss some stuff up in the air to see what the playback looked like. With their latest firmware (released yesterday) I can apparently set the project speed on the Gemini to 23.98 or 24 if I want 2.5x playback slowdown, but haven't tested that.
Looks like I'm getting full 1080 sharpness from the playback. Recording at 100Mbit LongGOP data rate on the Nano. Not seeing any artifacting if I blowup. Will probably know more after I take it out and shoot some waves crashing at the beach tomorrow...
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Interesting workflow. I'll have to try it for myself, sounds useful and avoids needing to take a laptop. I see no reason why there should be any significant quality loss as your first encode is to 100Mb/s on the Nano which we already know to be very good.
Old September 15th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Inner Circle

With the DNxHD compressed upgrade coming later, in case there is 1080p60 support, you can skip the Nanoflash step and record audio at the same time at 1080p60. I do caution black frames on Vegas however. Any other NLE shouldn't have this problem though.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #6
Major Player

What a fascinating workaround! Recording from a recorder to get slow-motion. Very interesting.

I suppose this will be less of an issue once the Gemini has DNxHD recording enabled (at up to 60fps).
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta