Problem Upgrading to firmware v1.4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old December 5th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Tourist

Problem Upgrading to firmware v1.4

Hi all,
I'm wanting to put v1.4 on an F3 that belongs to a friend (more he's wanting it on there, really). The problem is I'm from Australia and our sony support site doesn't have v1.4 available. I spoke to Sony Support and they said I shouldn't use firmware from somewhere else but they couldn't quanify why. I'll be honest the bloke didn't seem to know what an F3 was.

I seem to remember a couple of people in other places saying that the firmware is univeral and getting it from other countries websites would be alright (including Alister Chapman) and a chap at VideoCraft (one of our rental houses) said it SHOULD be fine too. I was hoping someone here could confirm this for me before I go ahead. I'd happily jump right in if the F3 was mine but given it's not I want to be a little careful.

Thanks,
Drew.
Drew Bontoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Problem Upgrading to firmware v1.4

The firmware is international. I usually get my updates from pro.sony.com, never had an issue.
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks David! Good to know. Are you using the CBK RGB01 upgrade (purchase) or just the v1.4 upgrade? If you've used the S-log Pic Profile then what sort of recorder are you using? How has it been for you?

Thanks again,
Drew.
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #4
Tourist

Oh and my understanding is that with 1.4 you can record S-log to SxS cards (at 4:2:0 8bit). If so, is this material usable for basic grading given its low bit rate and colour sampling. I'd like to test the workflow before buying recorder is all.
Old December 5th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Major Player

I have the CBK RGB01 upgrade and use the Atomos Samurai. Great unit, supportive company.

I almost always use unadulterated S-Log from HDSDI-A to the Samurai, but if I do use profiles recording to SxS, it's always a bastardised S-Log gamma curve profile to gain the extra latitude and bypassing the nasty standard REC709 colour matrix that causes yellow highlights when clipping.

You can grade S-Log from SxS in decent software like Davinci Resolve with really nice results, but it will fall apart if you push too far. You should test your specific scenario just to be safe.

Abelcine have some good profiles.

New F3 Firmware Adds S-Log to Every Camera | CineTechnica
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Trustee

Just to second what David is saying, with the version 1.4 firmware you can create a blank picture profile and adjust the gamma to "s-log" and use it to record to SXS internal cards 8-bit 420, or out the SDI monitor port in 10-bit 422.

I've done a few projects in s-log directly to SXS cards and subtle grading was no problem, you just can't go extreme. Be sure to expose your grey at 38% and don't let your whites exceed 70%.This will make for a nice image to work with in post.

Here's a link to one project I shot in s-log to SXS: youtube.com/watch?v=xLFF6Oa8znU
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta