Sony F3 with hyperdeck shuttle questions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old January 28th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Sony F3 with hyperdeck shuttle questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hingsberg View Post
The F3 draws 18 - 24 watts and I can't find the specs on the BM Deck, but I know that SSD drives draw anywhere from 10 - 45 watts so you can bet overall to draw anywhere from 75 - 100 watts total on your F3 rig providing you're not powering additional devices, etc..
The Samsung SSDs I am using are rated at 0.15w. Most spinning drives are below 10w once started. 10k and 15krpm drives are in the 10-15w range.

Using the PIX-240, F3, and SmallHD DP6 together on a 96wh battery I get 2.5-3hrs of runtime. That suggests a total consumption of everything in the 30-40wh range.
Old January 28th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #17
Trustee

Ah yes I was thinking spin-up drives. I will correct my post before someone takes it as gospel.

Most SSD's are .5w when not doing anything but once in operation they can range from 2w up to 6w depending on the manufacturer and specific model. Still rather negligible as you suggest.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hingsberg View Post
Also if you're looking for deck power solutions, this ebay seller has power cables that fits the jack of the deck properly and terminates to a d-tap plug. Then all you need is a plate to power your camera that also gives you a d-tap terminal and you can power your deck and F3 with an external battery.

D-Tap DC Cable fr DSLR Rig Power Supply LED light V-mount Anton Bauer Battery | eBay

Dennis thanks for the link I just ordered the cable just waiting on the rest I will post pictures later
Rudy Wilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #19
Trustee

Great and if you don't have a v-mount plate you can also buy one from him as well which has a d-tap port on the side. But you would need to install/solder your own connector on the end to power your camera and also make note of the proper polarity.

BP Battery Adapter Adaptor V-mount Mount Plate fr IDX Sony D-Tap Power DSLR Rig | eBay

Sorry I should have put that link up earlier as well.

If you buy the hyperdeck shuttle plate for $100 and a rail mount from berkley it will let you mount the plate vertically on your rails and then you can mount your deck on one side and the power plate on the other.

Add a d-tap splitter and you've got enough room to grow and power the world with.
Old February 10th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy Wilms View Post
Dennis thanks for the link I just ordered the cable just waiting on the rest I will post pictures later
Rudy, be sure to check the polarity of the cable you get first before using it, you may need to flip the polarity around in the d-tap connector.

Check first!
Old February 10th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #21
Trustee

Here is my F3 rig with hyperdeck and power solution:

Old February 11th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #22
Major Player

Dennis this looks very nice.I received the power cable from that ebay seller just waiting on the rest of equipment am exited to test out and will put pictures as soon as I have everything
Old February 11th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #23
Trustee

Hi Rudy, sounds great that you received the d-tap to 2.5mm jack power cable. Sorry I will repeat it again, but please make sure you check the polarity of that power cable first before using.

For example, on my v-mount plate I actually had to put the d-tap cable on "backwards" in order to get the proper polarity out of the 2.5mm jack. I plan to open up the d-tap plastic housing and reverse the polarity when I get a moment.
Old February 11th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #24
Major Player

Thanks Dennis I will check it out
Old February 20th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #25
Major Player

Okay today I received my Hyperdeck Shuttle 2,Crucial m4 512GB SSD,Pro BNC Female to DIN,Comphrehnsive cables adapter BNC/M to BNC and also a Shoe plate to mount the hyperdeck till I get something better to mount .
I will put some pictures in a couple off days
Old February 20th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #26
Trustee

The seller of the d-tap to 2.5mm power cable said he can configure the wires any way you want, or you can open the connector and flip things around if needed.

Sure post some pics once you get it all together!
Old February 21st, 2013, 01:29 PM   #27
Major Player

Dennis I got a question I connected the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 on my Sony F3 SDI out because that was the only way I got it to trigger the recorder is this normal ? Are you able to get the recorder to work on either SDI A or B ?
Old February 21st, 2013, 01:44 PM   #28
Trustee

Yes I managed to get the recorder to work (see video and trigger) through both the monitor SDI out port, as well as the SDI-A out.

I do recall having some issues at first with SDI-A, mainly you have to go in the menu of the F3 and play around with the output options.

As for triggering I'd have to check what mode I used that worked for me.

CAUTION: one silly thing that took me hours to figure out is that when you use the USB cable and HyperDeck utility to change the settings of the deck, when you first power that deck up again make sure you press the STOP button on it. The default after powering up, or running an update is in PLAYBACK mode so it will NEVER trigger in that mode.

This wasn't even documented anywhere but it became a little more obvious once I hooked up a monitor to the HDMI output port on the deck for testing.

Once you get through the pain points, its smooth sailing from there.
Old February 21st, 2013, 08:09 PM   #29
Major Player

Dennis the power cable worked just fine how I received it so lucky me...for the SDI A or the SDI B no luck but it works perfect on the SDI OUT so I will try to figure it out on the SDI A.
Picture is coming soon
Old February 21st, 2013, 08:26 PM   #30
Trustee

In your menu is your "dual-link & gamma" option set to 1.5G YPbPr422 & Video ?
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta