Sony F3 with hyperdeck shuttle questions - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:49 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Sony F3 with hyperdeck shuttle questions

Yes I did, I also have been trying different settings in the hyperdeck utility It is on when sdi timecode runs it is kind of weird not only the trigger is not working also the record button on the recorder does not work when I connect thru the SDI A or B
Rudy Wilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 09:27 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Do you have the camera set for 60i mode by chance?
Old February 21st, 2013, 09:32 PM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy Wilms View Post
Yes I did, I also have been trying different settings in the hyperdeck utility It is on when sdi timecode runs it is kind of weird not only the trigger is not working also the record button on the recorder does not work when I connect thru the SDI A or B
I just checked, on the deck I'm using the option "when SDI timecode runs".

Also make sure when you power up the deck you press the stop button on it, when you press record on the F3 you should see the light go RED on the deck.

Failing this, go in the VIDEO SET menu and under SDI Rec Control try setting it from OFF to SYNCRO REC.

Let me know, I know I had the same problem getting it to work with SDI-A and after enough fiddling I finally got it to work.

Lastly you can go to your TC/UB SET menu, and you should notice when ever you switch from REC RUN to FREE RUN the deck should start recording. When you toggle back to REC RUN it should stop recording.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:19 PM   #34
Major Player

I figured it out when I put the camera on 1280x720 59.94 I am only able to get it to work on SDI out if I use any other setting on 23.97 and 29.97 the SDI A works fine.Thanks for all the help is there any difference in quality or something else between the SDI out and the SDI A
Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:23 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
I figured it out when I put the camera on 1280x720 59.94 I am only able to get it to work on SDI out if I use any other setting on 23.97 and 29.97 the SDI A works fine.Thanks for all the help is there any difference in quality or something else between the SDI out and the SDI A
I wondered if that was the problem. The F3 does not output 720p over SDI A and B only 1080. If you set the camera to 720p60 with 1.5g enabled it outputs 1080p60 dual link over SDI A+B ports. That is more than the hyperdeck can handle.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:28 PM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
I wondered if that was the problem. The F3 does not output 720p over SDI A or B only 1080. If you set the camera to 720p60 it outputs 1080p60 over SDI A port. That is more than the hyperdeck can handle.
I don't think the F3 can ever output 1080p60 over SDI A port since it is only 1.5G, you need to use both A + B ports to capture 1080p60. Each port would provide half the signal information.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:36 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hingsberg View Post
I don't think the F3 can ever output 1080p60 over SDI A port since it is only 1.5G, you need to use both A + B ports to capture 1080p60. Each port would provide half the signal information.
That is exactly right. Each port is half of a dual link stream when the output is set to 1.5g.

The hyperdeck won't be able to understand that information.

I updated the post above to make it more clear.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:07 PM   #38
Major Player

Now I imported some test footage I recorded on the SDI A at 1920x1080 29.97p but it is showing it as 29.97i I looked in my f3 manual and it is showing the SDI would be 1920x1080 29.97psf so I am hoping it is just another setting I am doing wrong any help is appreciated
Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:48 PM   #39
Major Player

I am able to get 23.97psf when recording 23.97p but not the 29.97psf is anyone able to get the 29.97p on the hyperdeck shuttle 2?
Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:33 AM   #40
Inner Circle

The recordings will appear as 30i on the shuttle as the camera output is PsF and there is no way for an external device to know whether the signal is an interlaced one or an interlaced one containing progressive frames (PsF). It's normal for an external recorder to label PsF as interlace.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:04 AM   #41
Major Player

Thank you Alister for the explanation so if understand it correctly it is ok for me to import the 29.97i(recorded onto shuttle as progressive) in a progressive project in adobe cs6 and ignore the warning ? Because when I record 23.97p i can put the camera as psf and adobe cs6 then do recognize it as progressive
Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:36 AM   #42
Trustee

Any reason you don't want to use the SDI monitor port for recording?

Any pictures of your setup? : )
Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:00 PM   #43
Major Player

Dennis I need to explore it but I think the SDI out only did the 720 59.94p and had a narrow green line on the right of the picture but again I will need to do more testing to be sure and will try to post a picture late today
Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:02 PM   #44
Inner Circle

The monitor SDI output on the F3 can be set for 720 or 1080.

I used the monitor SDI output for a while to record 4:2:2 S-Log before the firmware update that allowed it on the main SDI ports.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:04 PM   #45
Trustee

Quote:
Dennis I need to explore it but I think the SDI out only did the 720 59.94p and had a narrow green line on the right of the picture but again I will need to do more testing to be sure and will try to post a picture late today
Yes you can get full 1080p out your SDI monitor port. I do like using SDI-A however since it is higher on the back of the camera and it allows me to keep the protective caps in place that covers all the other the other ports.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta