f3 High hours at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old May 15th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

f3 High hours

Hi,
What are the cons of buying a used f3 with high hours (600). Does the sensor lose sensitivity, does the image gets worse with these cameras after intense use or do high hours have no impact on the quality of the camera at all?

Thanks!
Jurgen Bauwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: f3 High hours

hours are in my opinion a useless way of determining the age of a device that has no moving parts.

i would rather have a 600 hour camera that looks like it's been used in a studio environment than a 100 hour camera that's been in the field and thrown around.

hours were useful for knowing when a tape based system would break, because they have numerous little parts and mechanisms. granted, everything breaks after a certain point, but tapeless cameras are far and away nowhere near the breaking point of tape systems. buy based on condition, not by hours. thats my take
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #3
Major Player

I agree.
The fact that the camera has been on more hours is less meaningful than the way it has been treated.
I'd check for smudges on the sensor and for dirt on any of the ND filters -- things that need to be dealt with if present. Also make sure the buttons and menu wheel all work properly, as well as the various connectors, and that there are no bad pixels and it records properly. Beyond that, if it makes a great image it should continue to do so unless you don't take care of it. I still have an EX1 that works regularly and makes a great image - with about 1600 hours on it - and no sign of any problems. I have no reason to believe that my F3 sill not last at least that long as long as I take care of it properly.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Go over the PL adapter with a fine tooth comb. That is one part that suffers if the owner isn't careful.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta