PMW-F3: Bleach bypass or b&w picture profile at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old December 21st, 2014, 03:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PMW-F3: Bleach bypass or b&w picture profile

I used to take photographs with a Mamiya camera and there were some kinds of silver halide black and white films that resulted in high contrast images with deep blacks and silvery looking whites. How can this be achieved with a picture profile on the F3? I've scoured the net, but haven't been able to find any black and white picture profiles for any XDCAM camera. Hoping that Alister Chapman and some of the former F3 owners can help with this.

Thanks
Jose Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 10:05 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: PMW-F3: Bleach bypass or b&w picture profile

Hello JC,
I don't recommend building a picture profile in camera for such an extreme look, I'd rather shoot flat and obtain the desired look in post.
My two cents :)
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 12:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugen Oprina View Post
Hello JC,
I'd rather shoot flat and obtain the desired look in post. My two cents :)
This always comes down to two choices: do it in camera or in post :-) I'd like to test with both, if possible, and I haven't been able to find any picture profile to do this.

Thanks for the reply.
Old December 24th, 2014, 11:40 AM   #4
Major Player

Jose: we had pretty good results just shooting flat in s-log to the in-camera cards, and then playing with the contrast and levels in post.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ilm-s-log.html
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2014, 11:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ward View Post
Jose: we had pretty good results just shooting flat in s-log to the in-camera cards, and then playing with the contrast and levels in post.[/url]
I'd seen your shot film before but could not find it again (thanks). Really beautifully shot, rich images.

Love the contrast between the blacks and the whites/highlights. What software did you use to grade the footage? I still have a lot of testing to do (s-log, picture profiles, LUTs, Da Vinci Resolve, etc).

Thanks for the help.
Old January 7th, 2015, 09:17 AM   #6
Major Player

Jose: there was actually very little post production.

I used the in camera SxS cards, recording basic S-log. Middle grey was exposed at about 36%, whites at 65-70%. (Although I blew past that a couple of times, to my dismay)

The piece was edited in FCP7, and the editor simply bumped up a few percentage points to the video levels and contrast, and that was pretty much it. Allegedly it stayed pretty close to what came right out of the F3.

Hope that helps.

B
Bill Ward is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta