New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014 - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old December 3rd, 2014, 12:44 AM   #241
Regular Crew

Re: New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Goyette View Post
could it be that dell monitor you're using as a fill light?

:-()
blue light from computer monitor + shirt with horizontal bands = "blue banding".
J. David Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 06:29 AM   #242
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. David Pope View Post
I have been using the Sony 18-105 on the Fs7 and the only "problem" with it is that it takes several turns of the iris dial on the handgrip to effect iris change. Same problem as with all glass on the Fs7.

For those of you waiting for delivery of pre-ordered cameras, if you call around you will very likely find one in stock and receive it within a few days. Someone on another forum mentioned that they were at the shop of a seller in L.A. who had several in stock. It seems you have to go to the smaller shops, shops that sell primarily only to pro's. Try Band Pro or California Media Solutions.

If you pre-ordered from B and H there might be 900+ buyers in line ahead of you. You might not get the camera until Spring.
I wonder if the new firmware (1.01) would solve the iris problem.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 06:54 AM   #243
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
I wonder if the new firmware (1.01) would solve the iris problem.
Unfortunately the firmware doesn't address the iris problem.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 07:30 AM   #244
Inner Circle

Thanks Barry,

No, I had not viewed that brochure. At least it lets you see all the Sony glass on one page. The rest is marketing.

David,
I am waiting on Band Pro for a camera, they say a few weeks.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 07:34 AM   #245
Major Player

One of the reasons I'm glad I ordered the FS7K package - that lens has manual iris adjustment. The other lens I will be using is an a mount Sigma 18-35 f 1.8 with the LEAE4 adaptor - apparently there are no iris problems with the a mount lenses.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 07:37 AM   #246
Inner Circle

Agree manual iris is what I am looking for also, and manual focus. Auto focus is not going to give me the results I need.

headed on the road
Old December 3rd, 2014, 11:12 PM   #247
Major Player

I shot this test with all natural lighting. Not that i would use Cine EI/ S-Gamut3.cine/Slog 3 for low light situations but i wanted to see how it looks. Of course the exposure would have to be pushed up with such mode, and oh ya, proper lighting and monitoring also.
The HG modes produced the cleanest blacks. Nothing has been altered in post and the noise suppression feature internally has been set to high.

Roshdi Alkadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 09:12 AM   #248
Regular Crew

I'm confused about lenses & the FS7. Can someone please confirm that the Samyang 12mm T2.2 E-mount lens will not vignette.
Chris Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 10:16 AM   #249
Regular Crew

"Can someone please confirm that the Samyang 12mm T2.2 E-mount lens will not vignette."

According to others online the Sony 10-18mm E-mount does not vignette on the Fs7. Does that suggest that the Samyang E-mount would not vignette? Or not necessarily so since the Sony 10-18 is an f/4 while the Samyung is faster?

Anyone know if aperture impacts vignetting?

"apparently there are no iris problems with the a mount lenses." - what is meant by "no problems"? Does the Fs7's iris wheel effect a one f-stop change with minimal movement of the iris wheel? Is the iris change stepped or infinitely variable?

Is infinitely variable iris change possible with ANY of these electronic lenses on ANY camera? Are the motors driving the iris even capable of such?

Barry- If you really want smooth iris action for the Sigma 18-35 then you should look into the GL Optics Sigma 18-35. They have taken a Sigma made for Nikon mount and added an iris ring to the lens. Albeit at a price tag of $3500-$4300.
J. David Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2014, 01:19 AM   #250
Trustee

guys, anybody know where to get sample 4k footage from this camera?
thx!
Old December 5th, 2014, 07:33 AM   #251
Major Player

Here is a link for sample footage by Alister Chapman

Sample clips from The FS7. | XDCAM-USER.COM
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2014, 10:39 AM   #252
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
Here is a link for sample footage by Alister Chapman
thank you!
Old December 5th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #253
Major Player

I have extensively tested the FS7 under all the gamma settings and color profiles with a speed booster and the Canon 24-105. I tested both in low light and standard average room lighting. There is red chroma noise in all modes and settings. This also included a custom profile where i decreased the red gain. This is the same problem that is evident in Doug Jensen's video. The only difference might be the lense he used, he also mentioned that he didn't adjust anything under the custom menu. I can tell you that i exhausted every mode. This is diffidently a Show Stopper for me.

Attached Thumbnails
New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014-reda.jpg   New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014-redb.jpg  

New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014-redc.jpg   New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014-red-2.jpg  

New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014-red-3.jpg   New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014-red-4.jpg  

New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014-red-5.jpg   New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014-red1.jpg  

Old December 6th, 2014, 03:25 AM   #254
Major Player

The FS7 is a powerful and amazing camera, this issue should be addressed soon. BTW, i purchased the camera already and the paint menus are superb. The Sgamut/Slog 3 Matrix settings are disabled, hopefully the firmware update is coming up soon. Other than that, it is an excellent Cinecam/TV Cam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfUJ...ature=youtu.be
Old December 6th, 2014, 02:25 PM   #255
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshdi Alkadri View Post
I have extensively tested the FS7 under all the gamma settings and color profiles with a speed booster and the Canon 24-105. I tested both in low light and standard average room lighting. There is red chroma noise in all modes and settings. This also included a custom profile where i decreased the red gain. This is the same problem that is evident in Doug Jensen's video. The only difference might be the lense he used, he also mentioned that he didn't adjust anything under the custom menu. I can tell you that i exhausted every mode. This is diffidently a Show Stopper for me.
PLEASE STOP MISQUOTING ME ON DIFFERENT FORUMS.

My video does not show that. Sorry, but you are making incorrect satements about my video.

1) There is no problem with red chroma noise in the parade video. The problem with the reds is that they are oversatured and have a magenta shift. But there's no noise problem. If you are having an issue with noise, you've got a different problem.

2) The parade video WAS shot with a custom scene file. Unfortunately it was the combination of settings I had programmed that did not work well together on a real-world shoot instead of charts. It was my own fault and I have since corrected the problem with a new scene file that looks great. Also, I've been able to do a regrade of the parade footage in Resolve and it looks almost perfect and completely salvagable. I'll see if I can post a new version in a week or two.

The video of the boys on the couch has a lot more problems that just with the reds. You better reset the camera and start over again from scratch.
If someone can't get good results with the FS7, they are doing something wrong. It is as simple as that. The camera is solid when the right menu settings, exposure, and WB are used.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5