New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014 - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old December 6th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #256
Major Player

Re: New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014

Hi Doug, THE CAPITALS are not necessary. Anyways, your test showed similar things to what i found out. It was more than just a magenta shift.

I found a work around with a custom recipe, and i did mention the camera is AMAZING, so i did not say to everyone to stay away. It is more of a heads up in case someone does face the same problem.

Nothing to do with exposure either, this was lit with small video light from the front left side.
Attached Thumbnails
New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014-baby.jpg  
Roshdi Alkadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #257
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
PLEASE STOP MISQUOTING ME ON DIFFERENT FORUMS.

My video does not show that. Sorry, but you are making incorrect satements about my video.

1) There is no problem with red chroma noise in the parade video. The problem with the reds is that they are oversatured and have a magenta shift. But there's no noise problem. If you are having an issue with noise, you've got a different problem.

2) The parade video WAS shot with a custom scene file. Unfortunately it was the combination of settings I had programmed that did not work well together on a real-world shoot instead of charts. It was my own fault and I have since corrected the problem with a new scene file that looks great. Also, I've been able to do a regrade of the parade footage in Resolve and it looks almost perfect and completely salvagable. I'll see if I can post a new version in a week or two.

The video of the boys on the couch has a lot more problems that just with the reds. You better reset the camera and start over again from scratch.
If someone can't get good results with the FS7, they are doing something wrong. It is as simple as that. The camera is solid when the right menu settings, exposure, and WB are used.
Doug - I'm looking forward to your upcoming Field Guide/DVD on the FS7 that you indicate is coming out in January (middle to end of the month?).

Until then do you have any "recipes" for the Custom shooting mode for those of us who will get their cameras before your DVD is released?

How much detail will you be going into with regard to the CINE mode in your upcong guide?
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 01:52 AM   #258
Trustee

"The problem with the reds is that they are oversatured and have a magenta shift."

Very much like a few other Sony models. Especilly that magenta hue in the reds which I hate and have dialled out as much as possible on FS700s , the A7s, and the X70. It would be good to see another corrected clip if you get a chance to upload one.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 10:38 PM   #259
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
"The problem with the reds is that they are oversatured and have a magenta shift."

Very much like a few other Sony models. Especilly that magenta hue in the reds which I hate and have dialled out as much as possible on FS700s , the A7s, and the X70. It would be good to see another corrected clip if you get a chance to upload one.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Hi Christopher, these are adjustable under custom settings with the red channel. There are also the Hypergamma and standard modes that can be extensively dialed. I fixed the problem i was having through a custom settings. The FS7 is truly amazing.
Roshdi Alkadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #260
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
Doug - I'm looking forward to your upcoming Field Guide/DVD on the FS7 that you indicate is coming out in January (middle to end of the month?).

Until then do you have any "recipes" for the Custom shooting mode for those of us who will get their cameras before your DVD is released?

How much detail will you be going into with regard to the CINE mode in your upcong guide?
Hi Barry,

I'll be going into quite a bit of detail and specific settings and workflows for both the Cine EI mode and the Custom Mode. They both serve different purposes and it's important to know how to work competently on either side.

Thanks for asking.
Old December 8th, 2014, 10:28 AM   #261
Trustee

Is it safe to say that the 28mm end of the 28-135 kit lens is not wide enough for a run-and-gun lens?
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 11:15 AM   #262
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Hi Barry,

I'll be going into quite a bit of detail and specific settings and workflows for both the Cine EI mode and the Custom Mode. They both serve different purposes and it's important to know how to work competently on either side.

Thanks for asking.
Thanks for the info, Doug.

As far as timeframe - late January, early February a realistic estimate?
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 12:49 PM   #263
Vortex Media

I hope so. I am working on it full time, but it takes 7-8 weeks of work to research, test, write, shoot, edit, etc. such an indepth 4-hour video. Plus, I got hired to come to Africa this week to teach 6 days of camera/lighting classes and so I had to take time off from the FS7 project. Too interesting to pass up! But end of January is my goal.
Old December 8th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #264
Major Player

Have a great trip and be safe!

Jim Martin
EVSonline.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 09:20 AM   #265
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
Is it safe to say that the 28mm end of the 28-135 kit lens is not wide enough for a run-and-gun lens?
That is the thought of myself and others.

The Canon 24-70mm is not wide enough for a do-all R&G zoom. You end up having to dance between the 16-35mm and the 24-70mm. About the only "do-all" R & G zoom for S35 is the Canon 17-120 servo zoom. Or B4 zooms with an adapter. Even the lovely 19-90mm Fujionon Cabrio is a bit short on the long end.

R&G Zoom options with major shortcomings are the Canon 24-105 f/4 with speed booster Ultra or the Sony 18-105mm f/4 E mount. The Sony 18-105mm just isn't designed for manual focusing, in my experience. The Canon 24-105 has all the drawbacks of EF glass- no focus end stop ( more like a focus-end yield ), no manual iris, short focus throw, telescoping lens barrel, etc.
J. David Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 09:46 AM   #266
Inner Circle

I think lens choice is an important subject for most people looking at this camera, for (hate the term) R&G shooting.

When I owned the F55 I used the Dulcos 11-16 for the super wide shots, the lens is great for the price. Then most of my standard shooting that is 98% on the shoulder I used the Red 17-50, a light weight, sharp, and full manual lens.

The thing with the F55, which I would love to see updated firmware for the FS7 is "Center Crop Mode". That essentially made the 50mm a 100mm for FOV. So I had 17-100 and it was great for the cost.

With the FS7 I will still use Dulcos 11-16, and the Red 17-50 since you cannot beat the cost vs. performance and both are full manual, a must for me. Then I will use the 28-135 Sony when I need the stabilized lens and am not right on my subject.

This seems for me to be a simple lens combination and lets me shoot 1080-4K. Plus a light 11-135mm lens combo that is easy to travel with on all size planes.

Would I prefer the Canon 17-120? Of course but not for the price.
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #267
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
definitely not, on S35 it's like 40mm , not wide at all
Old December 14th, 2014, 08:03 PM   #268
Wrangler

Oh how times have changed... I think when I started shooting you couldn't get a camera with a zoom wider than 30mm.
Old December 14th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #269
Inner Circle

Yup, I remember Dylan 35mm was wide I only had 50mm an was happy. Now I love 11mm, how 45 years can change things.
Old December 15th, 2014, 09:17 PM   #270
Major Player

Sony FS7 BODY IN STOCK AT BHPHOTO WITH METABONES REBATE.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082825-REG/sony_pxw_fs7_compact_4k_xdcam_with.html
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5