New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014 - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:51 AM   #226
Regular Crew

Re: New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post

Bottom line, if you're using this hand held and need to sit it down, it's going on its side.
simple solution: lay the camera down on it's side!

I jest, but that is the solution I arrived at recently when using a C300 robo-cam that only had one extension arm. No rule that a camera has to be placed upright. Although placing the camera on it's side will likely cause wear on the side of the camera or handgrip.

One personal "rule" that I do share with newbies is that a camera can never fall off the ground. I always prefer to place a camera on the ground over placing a camera on a table, even if a camera placed on the ground is counter-intuitive. Yes, a camera on the floor can be accidentally kicked but it's never going to be accidentally knocked off the floor or come crashing down.

I would not say this inability to place the camera down on a flat surface because of the arm / grip is a design "faux pas". I think the designers anticipated it but it's a trade-off for having an arm & control grip.

In regard to placing an expensive electronic device on it's side, we all do it with our cell phones, don't we?
J. David Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 01:42 PM   #227
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Barry, I would question if they really have it in stock? They might just want you to order then say backordered. A lot of lower end retails shops will do that to get the order. I would trust DVinfo sponsors who are great shops.
Actually my order is in for the FS7K with Abel Cine (as of 9:15 a.m. September 15th) but was just speculating as to where these shops had that amount of stock. I would never deal with them personally.

Last edited by Barry J. Weckesser; December 2nd, 2014 at 02:27 PM.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 03:07 PM   #228
Inner Circle

Understand Barry,

Abel is a first class operation. I have purchased a lot of cameras from them and loads of other gear. Surprised you still do not have your camera but I bet (hope) it is close.

I just ordered mine over the weekend and am told it should be this month. But we really never know until it is in our hands.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 03:36 PM   #229
Major Player

Quote:
Understand Barry,

Abel is a first class operation. I have purchased a lot of cameras from them and loads of other gear. Surprised you still do not have your camera but I bet (hope) it is close.

I just ordered mine over the weekend and am told it should be this month. But we really never know until it is in our hands.
Paul - are you getting the FS7 body only or FS7K with the kit lens (28-135 f4)?

On another topic which pertains to the FS7 regarding on-camera light - (I know this should be on a different area of the forum) but the new Sony HVLLBPC light is really good (already received one). It goes up to 2100 lx at 1 meter and works "intelligently" with the FS7 - looking at the operations manual (for the FS7) you can program it to come on when the camera is turned on or just come on when you press record.
The old Sony light similar to this was anemic and not very good (I have been using the Comer 1800) but the new light blows the Comer away. AND it works on the BPU batteries - in fact, to save weight you can use the BPU 30 and it will run the light for 1 hour 45 minutes.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 03:50 PM   #230
Inner Circle

Barry,

You could not have had better timing with the light info. I have a Z-Light 90 and it is nice but no real punch. And I need a light on just about every shoot I do with interiors and tight spots on all the boats. Also have three Litepanels Croma and they have no punch at all, and are very fluky with AA batteries.

The Sony HVLLBPC light high intensity looks perfect. I just told John at Band Pro to add it to my order.

Thanks Barry for the great timing.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 04:58 PM   #231
Major Player

Paul - Glad to be of service. I think you will be pleased with the "punch" of the light and when you use it with the magnifying panel the output is incredible. It also has a wide field.

You didn't mention about the whether you ordered the FS7 or FS7K?
Old December 2nd, 2014, 05:01 PM   #232
Inner Circle

I really like the extra punch when needed and coming on with the camera, I miss that from my older eng's.

I order the body and then the 28-135 lens, which will work well for me on certain shots. I do not want the kit to hold up getting the body.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 05:48 PM   #233
Major Player

Quote:
I really like the extra punch when needed and coming on with the camera, I miss that from my older eng's.

I order the body and then the 28-135 lens, which will work well for me on certain shots. I do not want the kit to hold up getting the body.
The person I am dealing with at Abel Cine tells me the FS7K will be available before the 28-135 lens ships separately - don't know if that is accurate. He also mentioned the first FS7K's may be in from mid to late December but only to people who ordered very early (I believe I am #2 on their list). On Sony Alpha Rumors it indicates the lens will be available in Japan December 19th (from translated Japanese website as well as Sony Store in Japan). Adorama website says mid to end of December and B & H states mid February 2015..

By the end of December we will all know if any of this is accurate.

Last edited by Barry J. Weckesser; December 2nd, 2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 05:52 PM   #234
Inner Circle

I am hoping for camera body in Dec, and 28-135 prior to end of Jan. I have two jobs in Jan but do not need the 28-135 for either. Will use a Dulcos 11-16 and Sony 18-105 for both jobs, and I will need the light for both.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:26 PM   #235
Major Player

Quote:
I am hoping for camera body in Dec, and 28-135 prior to end of Jan. I have two jobs in Jan but do not need the 28-135 for either. Will use a Dulcos 11-16 and Sony 18-105 for both jobs, and I will need the light for both.
Have you seen this article from NewsShooter?

News Shooter | Sony FS7 lens solutions part 1 – The joy of A-mount and the pain of E-mount

They mention the problems with aperture control (? firmware issue) with some E mount lenses but Dan Chung specifically refers to the Sony 18-105 (even shows a picture of it) and doesn't mention the same issue with it.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:36 PM   #236
Inner Circle

Thanks, yes I have seen that video. Really hoping it is firmware. And I have not looked into the A mount lens options, might be worth a look. Even if it is firmware it is hard to count on Sony fixing it fast.

Have you thought of other options in the same range? I am not interested in Canon DSLR glass.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 08:48 PM   #237
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks, yes I have seen that video. Really hoping it is firmware. And I have not looked into the A mount lens options, might be worth a look. Even if it is firmware it is hard to count on Sony fixing it fast.

Have you thought of other options in the same range? I am not interested in Canon DSLR glass.
With regard to lenses - have you seen this brochure (from Sony UK)?

http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/support/br.../1237493266971

There is a new firmware version out for the FS7 (from Alister Chapman's Blog) but it is only on European sites and, although I have registered in the past, I can't remember my password and cant reset it. Anyway, here is the link. Don't know if this corrects the iris control for E mount lenses though.

http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/br...w-fs7/support/
Old December 2nd, 2014, 09:54 PM   #238
Regular Crew

Well, I got the FS7 and I would like to know what this blue noise is. Anyone have an idea?
Attached Thumbnails
New Sony FS7 4K XDCAM at IBC 2014-fs7-blue-banding.jpg  
Michael Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 10:30 PM   #239
Trustee

could it be that dell monitor you're using as a fill light?

:-()
Old December 3rd, 2014, 12:41 AM   #240
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
Have you seen this article from NewsShooter?

News Shooter | Sony FS7 lens solutions part 1 – The joy of A-mount and the pain of E-mount

They mention the problems with aperture control (? firmware issue) with some E mount lenses but Dan Chung specifically refers to the Sony 18-105 (even shows a picture of it) and doesn't mention the same issue with it.
I have been using the Sony 18-105 on the Fs7 and the only "problem" with it is that it takes several turns of the iris dial on the handgrip to effect iris change. Same problem as with all glass on the Fs7.

For those of you waiting for delivery of pre-ordered cameras, if you call around you will very likely find one in stock and receive it within a few days. Someone on another forum mentioned that they were at the shop of a seller in L.A. who had several in stock. It seems you have to go to the smaller shops, shops that sell primarily only to pro's. Try Band Pro or California Media Solutions.

If you pre-ordered from B and H there might be 900+ buyers in line ahead of you. You might not get the camera until Spring.
J. David Pope is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5