DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   Sony FS-7 - 4 Channels of Audio? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/525491-sony-fs-7-4-channels-audio.html)

Peter Richardson October 22nd, 2014 07:37 PM

Sony FS-7 - 4 Channels of Audio?

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if it's possible to record 3 or 4 discrete channels of audio to the new FS7? The configuration I'm interested in is:

1: Camera-mounted Shotgun
2: wireless channel 1
3: wireless channel 3
4: ?

On my old Panasonic Varicam HPX2700 it was possible to have a dual channel slot wireless receiver taking two discrete channels, plus a shotgun up front and 1 additional channel through the rear. Really an amazing audio setup for intimate docu work.

I see on the FS7 that there are two XLR inputs, but ALSO a hot shoe on top that can take one of Sony's proprietary wireless systems. If this could be put onto a discrete third channel that would be amazing.

Anyway, if anyone knows the answer I'd be grateful. And if this is the wrong forum - my apologies!

Thanks,

Peter

Alister Chapman November 4th, 2014 01:59 PM

Re: Sony FS-7 - 4 Channels of Audio?

No, I don't think it's possible.

Peter Richardson November 8th, 2014 02:13 PM

Thanks for the reply Alister - too bad! I wish more manufacturers, especially of cameras aimed at the documentary market, would take this into consideration as it can make a huge difference in the field.

Peter

Phil Goetz November 12th, 2014 10:22 PM

Clips pop up in premiere with 8 tracks of audio... I wasn't recording audio so there was nothing on any of them...

Peter Richardson November 13th, 2014 06:38 PM

Thanks Phil -- sounds just like the F55 which also displays 8 channels of audio. I just wonder if it can actually record 4 discrete channels. It really would be amazing if it could, especially for documentary purposes.

Peter

Mike Watson December 14th, 2014 10:55 AM

That's the most frustrating - when the camera is recording multiple channels of audio, the camera has multiple audio inputs... but the lines between the two aren't drawn. I agree it'd be a huge get if they could make this happen.

Paul Cronin December 19th, 2014 07:16 AM

Peter, my experience with the F55, F800, PMW300 and I think the audio is the same for the FS7 is you can get two discrete channels. Yes, it will show 8 channels but it is not really 8 channels from my experience.

I use four wireless transmitters often with two dual receivers trying to get four channels with one talent on each channel. Each receive is plugged into one of the XLR on the camera sending two channels. What happens is one receiver ends up as channel 1&3 and the other 2&4.

I would be happy to hear if there is a better solution, without additional audio gear?

Daniel Epstein December 19th, 2014 08:13 AM

I had asked Juan Martinez of Sony at the recent Javits center show this question and he said the camera only had controls for 2 channels. He implied it was a marketing/design decision. If you want 4 channels of Audio you from Sony then you are looking at the F5/F55. Seemed a bit arbitrary but what can you do.