Sony Fs7 & Sony E PZ 18-105 f/4 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old December 12th, 2014, 02:42 AM   #31
Trustee

Re: Sony Fs7 & Sony E PZ 18-105 f/4

Just started playing with 18-105 and sadly I confirm the focusing problem. I have a shoot 35 follow focus that has easily set hard stops. With the AF nikon lenses ( haven't tried EF yet) I'm pretty sure if you set a hard stop on both ends of the focus ring's range ( infinity to min focus), then the follow focus will allow you keep the ring from "slipping" and you can make repeatable marks . However the 18-105 just does its own thing , there's no way to keep returning to the same spot. Actually it even seems to focus faster if you turn the ring faster and vice versa - though I might be imagining that. Can't say I like it. Disappointing.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 10:08 AM   #32
Regular Crew

I haven't used the 18-105 much since I acquired a Canon 24-70mm. The 18-105mm is now sort of my "emergency-only long lens" until I obtain the Sony FE 28-135mm.

Shame that the 18-105mm isn't more usable for video. It's a great size and 18-105mm is a very nice range to have. But the focus is just too damn squirrelly for my use, for manual focusing.

Both the Sony 18-105mm and the new Sony 28-15mm are f/4 lenses. I didn't think that would trouble me much since the Fs7 has such low-light capability but I find myself missing f/2.8 glass. Not only does f/2.8 provide a very sweet look that f/4 glass cannot, f/2.8 is TWICE the low light capability of f/4. That makes a difference. Recently in some low light conditions I was having to crank the gain way up on the f/4 glass.

IMO and experience if you are shooting Run & Gun you must have f/2.8 glass. Across your entire lens kit, if possible.

Another discovery with the Fs7 is that the ND provided on the ND wheel is not enough. Recently even with the heaviest ND rolled into place I was still having to shoot at an f/11 at ISO 800, 180 degree shutter. I had to attach a polarizer filter to wider stop and some shallower dof.
J. David Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 07:07 AM   #33
Inner Circle

David, with the 24-70 are you using a speedbooster with the lens? Or just a EF to E adapter with out speedbooster?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5