Doug Jensen's Sony PXW-FS7 Master Class at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old February 5th, 2015, 10:06 AM   #1
Vortex Media

Doug Jensen's Sony PXW-FS7 Master Class

I am happy to announce that my Master Class for the FS7 is now online and ready to roll.

6 hours total
26 chapters
$85 for on-demand streaming only (no downloads)
Rental term is for 6 months.

http://vimeo.com/ondemand/fs7

The first chapter (42 minutes) is online for free so you can watch it before you decide whether or not to order the other 5 hours of content.

BTW, I’m still not sure if I’ll do a DVD version or not, but if I do, it is at least several weeks away from shipping.

I hope you like it. I'm just glad to be done.
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: Doug Jensen's Sony PXW-FS7 Master Class

I'll give a HUGE shoutout for Doug's camera training... I first encountered it on the EX1 AFTER having shot several broadcast docs with the camera. Even after all that experience I learned new and better ways of using the tools at my disposal. Doug's training is an absolute MUST for people new to a particular camera and especially those new to video production with more complicated cameras.
Old February 6th, 2015, 07:57 AM   #3
Sponsor: Westside AV

Great job Doug,

Your videos and field guides are a great compliment to the manuals and I would say a must have with new cameras like the FS7.

I have watched about half of the vids so far and I have picked up quite a few things I did not get from playing around with the camera and reading the manuals.

Congratulations on the project, I know how much it takes to do something like this. You do a great job helping shooters get familiar with the camera. It saves me lots of time and frustration trying to decode what the manual is saying.

Thanks.
Old February 6th, 2015, 09:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

This Master Class is a must for every FS7 owner. This is not some demo review of the camera. It's 6 HOURS long with 26 chapters and extremely detailed!

Doug Jensen is an F55 pro operator so explaining the menu system, and all the important features and workflow considerations is second nature to him and he does it with chapters so you can go back and easily review specific sections.
Throw the manual back in the box - This is the best FS7 training video - period.
Brian Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Brilliant! I am no pro but I do own the Sony FS7. Doug's master class is what I needed to become confidant with this great camera. Worth every penny.
Michael Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 04:15 PM   #6
Trustee

Re: Doug Jensen's Guide to the Sony PMW-F55 Book

Doug,
I'm finding the tutorial really helpful. I'm already on chapter 9. I do have a couple of questions.
1-I've been using a Zacuto EVF with my fs100. All of the info on the led screen on the fs100 also displays on
the zacuto. But when I connect the zacuto to the fs7 by hdmi, I don't get anything except the audio meters.
The model is the z--EVF-15 ( or IS...) small writing and I can't tell which. The zacuto has it's own on board peaking and zebra, but that's all that comes through. On the fs100, the camera's colored peaking also comes through, in addition to everything else.
I tried changing settings in the zacuto, but no luck. Any ideas?

2-You mention "relay recording" where you can use two cards and when one fills up, the camera automatically starts recording on the second card. Is that a default function, or do you have to set anything?

I've already done a few jobs with the camera, and love it. I may have to get a few bits to make a more ergonomic and comfortable rig.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
VIDEO PRODUCTION FORT LAUDERDALE

Last edited by Bruce S. Yarock; February 12th, 2015 at 07:39 PM.
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #7
Trustee

Doug
I meant to post my questions in this fs7 section, and by mistake, put it in the f55 thread. I just bought your FS7 tutorial , really like it, and had a few questions. I couldn't figure out how to copy it and put it in this thread.
But it's in the F55 thread.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Old February 13th, 2015, 05:44 AM   #8
Vortex Media

Hi Bruce,

I looked at your questions on the other page, and here are my answers:

1)
There are two menus that need to be set correctly to overlay viewfinder data on the HDMI output.
Video > Output Display > HDMI
Video > Output Setting > HDMI Target Device

But the bigger question is, why would you bother? The FS7's viewfinder is better than the Zacuto EVF so why would you want to go to all the hassle of using a 3rd party viewfinder? My advice is to keep things simple and just forget about it.

2)
Relay recording between the memory cards is the default mode.

I hope that helps.

Doug Jensen's Sony PXW-FS7 Master Class

Old February 13th, 2015, 08:35 AM   #9
Trustee

Thanks, Doug.
I find that focus is easier for my 66 year old eyes with the Zacuto. But to keep things simple, I'll try and stick with the Sony for now. If I had the business to justify it, I'd probably go with the new Zacuto Gratical and their
recoil rig.
Bruce Yarock
Old February 18th, 2015, 08:06 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Just logging in to endorse this product: oh wow, you HAVE to get this if you are new the the Sony FS7!

I bought Doug's video for the EX3 six years ago when I switched to that camera, and it was a huge help.

So when I just got my new FS7, I wondered if he had made a video for this camera, and he had!

At first sight, the $85 price tag seemed a bit steep since the EX3 video was cheaper, but after getting it and streaming it, I can say it is worth every penny!

There are several small idiosyncracies with this camera I never would have found on my own (or after much frustration), like the fact that you can't use an MLUT on monitor out if using Lens Correction (only ONE example of what I am talking about).

I love it. Doug's a rock star. Five out of five stars!
Old February 19th, 2015, 04:50 AM   #11
Vortex Media

That's a great testimonial for the video, Brian! Thanks for taking the time to post.
Old March 8th, 2015, 06:34 AM   #12
Trustee

Doug,
Do you know if Sony plans to come out with a firmware update to allow moving around the frame while using magnification? On the FS 100, you can toggle around while in focus magnification. The FS 7, unless I'm missing something, doesn't let you do this. So if you're framed up and want to magnify to check focus on the eyes, for example, you have to tilt the camera after magnifying. I did a TelePrompter shoot the other day, and it was a royal pita not being able to do what I'm used to on the the fs100.

My niece just got a job running the media dept. for the pro soccer team in Portland, Oregon. She told me they'll be getting an FS 7, so I gave her your info and told her to order your tutorial.
Bruce Yarock
Old March 8th, 2015, 07:46 AM   #13
Vortex Media

Hi Bruce,

I have not heard anything from Sony about adding that capability to the FS7. That doesn't mean it won't happen if enough people ask for it, but I'm just saying I've never heard the subject mentioned when I talk to Sony.
Old March 15th, 2015, 03:22 PM   #14
Trustee

Doug,
I followed your instructions on the 2 settings to enable out put through hdmi. It worked fine. I picked up a cheap hp monitor to use as another reference, and got no signal. So I tried the fs7 through three other hdmi devices, and nothing. I hope it's a setting problem, and not camera repair needed.
All the monitors work fine, because I checked them with the fs100.
Any ideas?
Bruce Yarock
P.s,- Still plugging away on the the tutorial. Lots of great info.
Old March 15th, 2015, 03:23 PM   #15
Trustee

Clarification
Once I enabled the correct setting, it worked we'll for at least a week.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5