best settings for HD green screen shoot? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old April 21st, 2015, 09:02 AM   #1
Major Player

best settings for HD green screen shoot?

bout to shoot a green screen gig for 8 interviews - using FS7, what are best settings for such? It'll be 1920, at 30fps

what's best for pulling a great/clean key and for smoothest/best editing of the files

Thanks much
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 06:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: best settings for HD green screen shoot?

Should you really be shooting footage for chroma keying if you don't have a basic idea of what is needed already? There's more than just "best settings" to it.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 09:01 PM   #3
Trustee

Kent,
I just did two projects, one at 24 and one at 30. Your success will depend more on
1-Lighting the screen correctly
2-Placing the talent we'll in front and separated from screen.
3-lighting talent correctly.
4- dealing with shadows and other crap on the green.
Good luck
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 09:34 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Bruce...the info you provided was good, it's just I know how to light and separate talent from a green screen, but not having used the FS7 before, I wondered if there was a setting re: either standard or custom or what.

I just found these answers on another search, thought others could benefit from seeing this as well: from a European guy

"As for settings, use the XAVC-I codec with a faster shutter speed than normal. I shot mine at 25p with a 100th/s shutter to reduce motion blur.

Personally I would use either a standard gamma or a hyper gamma (depending if you can get the lighting right to reduce the dynamic range) This way you would have the most amount of colour info in the codec to key out later."

Someone else wrote:

"Be sure to switch off Detail Processing in Custom Mode - otherwise you have to fight against artificial Contrast Peaking Borders in your green."
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 07:03 AM   #5
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Beeson View Post
bout to shoot a green screen gig for 8 interviews - using FS7, what are best settings for such? It'll be 1920, at 30fps

what's best for pulling a great/clean key and for smoothest/best editing of the files

Thanks much
If the interviews aren't going to be too long for it, I would shoot 4K XAVC-I.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5