DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   stock lens zoom range?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/528085-stock-lens-zoom-range.html)

Jim Stamos April 25th, 2015 01:41 PM

stock lens zoom range??

this camera comes with FE PZ 28-135mm f/4 G OSS Lens in the kit at BH.
what is the zoom range of this?? 10x, 12x, doesnt really say?
ive heard its pretty short

Shaun Roemich April 25th, 2015 02:47 PM

Re: stock lens zoom range??

Simple math : 135 divided by 28 is 4.9x zoom, which is quite decent for a constant aperture lens.

Jim Stamos April 25th, 2015 10:07 PM

So much for using it for balcony shots or theater perfordmances.
you'd think it would b longer

Brian Drysdale April 26th, 2015 02:15 AM

With a greater zoom range you'll be into a much larger lens if you don't want excessive aperture ramping and usually a more expensive one. You can always buy a separate zoom with longer focal lengths that you can use for theatre shots.

For a large zoom range, with compactness on Super 35 documentaries, 2/3 HD zoom lenses are being adapted, but you lose out on the max aperture, plus they're not cheap.

Daniel Epstein April 26th, 2015 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Stamos (Post 1884584)
So much for using it for balcony shots or theater perfordmances.
you'd think it would b longer

It is harder for a lens to go from wide to long with a larger sensor than a smaller one. There is a reason why still photo lenses do not have as much zoom range as video lenses. 2/3 inch lenses have an advantage in this regard over Super 35. Full Frame has even more of an issue. Cost and weight are big concerns. The big problem with this lens as far as I am concerned is it mostly covers the middle of what I need but not the wide or the tight. if it could go wider and longer it would be much bigger physically. I would like the wider to middle be covered sooner in the product cycle since that is what I use more often in NYC.

Bruce S. Yarock April 27th, 2015 10:39 PM

I have the 18-200 sony from my FS 100 and a Canon 70-200 2.8. I run into the same problem shooting from
Distances where 200 isn't enough. What lens other sanely priced lens options are there?
Bruce Yarock

Daniel Epstein April 28th, 2015 06:44 AM

I don't think there are any S35 video lenses which would be sanely priced for the longer end for a a sensor this size. Not that 2/3 inch lenses where any bargain either.

John Mitchell April 28th, 2015 05:49 PM

I personally think the lens is a reasonable compromise. Its not quite as fast as the car priced Cabrios etc and it's not as wide as I'd like. But for the price and the quality, the servo zoom, the auto focus and iris, parfocal, little to no focus breathing and the constant F4 it stacks up well.

You don't have to buy it - there's a much cheaper package without the lens and any NEX lens or just about any glass made for APS-C and above will fit with adapters. I don't see any real price break for buying with the kit lens so you can always buy it later if you find it works for you.

Be aware that any 2/3" HD broadcast lens will only work with a doubler and that they will definitely rob you of some sharpness at HD resolutions and probably look soft at 4K.