Will you still get a nice dynamic range recording 709? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old August 5th, 2015, 10:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Will you still get a nice dynamic range recording 709?

I am suddenly in a situation where I am recording a lot inside and need better lowlight and greater dynamic range than either my EX3 or GH4 can give me.

However I need to shoot straight out of the box since I don't have a lot of time to learn to shoot log. Can I use the FS7 with the Metabones plus Canon 24-105 and shoot REC 709 and be able to get that extra lowlight ability and dynamic range?
Old August 5th, 2015, 10:50 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Will you still get a nice dynamic range recording 709?

Jeroen,
In my limited experience with the FS7 in a darker environment a faster lens in Low light situations makes a huge difference. Your set up with a regular Metabones is not the most sensitive. (unless you are talking about Metabones Speedbooster adapter) The FS7 footage is very clean so underexposing a little is okay but dynamic range on highlights using Rec 709 is not going to give you the best dynamic range the camera can produce.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 11:35 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Epstein View Post
Jeroen,
In my limited experience with the FS7 in a darker environment a faster lens in Low light situations makes a huge difference. Your set up with a regular Metabones is not the most sensitive. (unless you are talking about Metabones Speedbooster adapter) The FS7 footage is very clean so underexposing a little is okay but dynamic range on highlights using Rec 709 is not going to give you the best dynamic range the camera can produce.
Yes, sorry, I meant the Speedbooster. I realize I will get the best dynamic range with log but I was wondering if it is still way better than the GH4 or EX3 when recording rec 709.

I'm just not sure if I will be able to master shooting log in time for this production...
Old August 5th, 2015, 03:38 PM   #4
Major Player

My advice for really low light would be to go with the A7s and fast lenses.
I'd stay away from the 24-105, which I've always found to be exceptionally slow. Certainly don't use anything slower than a constant 2.8
If your shooting style allows for fast primes, they can be a great way to deal with the dark!
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5