New Sony E-mount video cam for IBC - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old September 8th, 2015, 04:30 AM   #31
Trustee

Re: New Sony E-mount video cam for IBC

IBC is next week. I'd expect news before Monday morning, Amsterdam time.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 11:43 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fry View Post
But this speculation belongs in the Area51 section, not the Industry News section.
The exact details may be speculation at this point, but it's confirmed that "something" is coming, and that the "something" will be "a new FS camera". That's direct from Sony (see the first post), so IMO it's still reasonable to keep this thread in the News section?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fry View Post
It won't be "news" until we see the first official announcements and spec sheets. Remind me, when does IBC start?
I'd expect the details to be announced at the Sony IBC press conference, which is at 9am Central European time - so 8am in the UK - on the 11th September.

Sony's IBC2015 News & Press Centre : Broadcast & Professional A/V: Products : United Kingdom : Sony Professional
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 01:28 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
Thanks. But in real world practical terms, if you, say, had a cam that only shot QFHD and client wanted their final delivery in "real" 4K, so you had to upscale, would the image quality suffer noticeably or only to pixel peepers?
Most 4k TV sets are QFHD and so are TV channels who broadcast in QFHD, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you get a client who's theatrically projecting in true DCI 4K, even then it shouldn't be a problem as you're not drastically enlarging the image.

Other elements like the dynamic range, color rendition, sampling, etc. of the camera come into play when upscaling so it's always advised to start with a high quality image to begin with.

The more you pay, the more you play. With all the new cameras coming out by less known "giants" who hold their own as far as latitude, RAW processing and color sampling, we don't have to worry about it as much anymore.
Roshdi Alkadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 02:00 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
Thanks. But in real world practical terms, if you, say, had a cam that only shot QFHD and client wanted their final delivery in "real" 4K, so you had to upscale, would the image quality suffer noticeably or only to pixel peepers?
This may not be the answer you want, but I don't think there's a direct answer to that. At the end of the day, it's up to your client. If they have specified they want "real 4K" - and intend 4096x2160 by that - then you could be seen to be not adhering to the contract if you shoot QFHD, crop, and rescale. It's not really a matter of what anybody thinks acceptable in terms of quality, it's being paid to deliver to a specification and not doing it.

I think the answer has to be that if you think there's much likelihood of getting paying work that specifies 4K (rather than QFHD), then just make sure you get a "true" 4K camera in the first place.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 02:18 PM   #35
Trustee

1am Pacific time on Friday - I'll be there!

Old September 9th, 2015, 06:22 PM   #36
Space Hipster

More rumor info from SAR:

Quote:

"New Sony F cam Friday is S35, not FF. 4K internally, but 8 bit XAVC-L (note the L) 100 Mbit max. No HFR as far as I can tell, 30fps max in 4K. Looks like a baby FS7. Price will be between old FS700 and current FS7, likely $5,000-6,500 USD. Differentiation on FS7 is much better CODEC, higher frame rates (incl 60p 4K), option for RAW and ProRes, bigger build."

Not confirmed, remember.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 07:08 PM   #37
Trustee

I saw this same rumor. I gotta believe that Sony is going to ether give more (like UHD 60p) for a $5000+ price. If these really the specs than I must believe that the price will be lower.

If it really is a small FS7 that is SOOO heavily crippled?...I don't know but those rumored specs don't seem very interesting.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 07:22 PM   #38
Inner Circle

They BETTER not limit 4K to 30 frames. Production and the new broadcast standard is 60 frames and to cripple the "missing piece" that badly makes no sense, especially since the DVX200 can to 60 frames (albeit with a massive crop factor) and can output at least 4K 8bit 4:2:2 out the HDMI with that framerate. 100mbps though worries me, cause that is the bitrate of XAVC-S 4K30p.

Give it the Long-GOP options of the FDR-AX1 and FS7 and I'll be happy. WITH 60p. Leave out 60p and I instantly am not interested.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 12:55 AM   #39
Major Player

Damn, hope they don't limit it to only 8 bit. I'd personally rather give up 4K 60fps and keep 10 bit!
David Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 06:43 AM   #40
Inner Circle

I am with Jack. No QFHD 60P and I am not interested. Do not see why they would discontinue the FDR-AX1 that I have and introduce a model with lower spec. Doesn't make any sense. I still think it will be a e-mount with similar spec to my FDR-AX1 but maybe XAVC-L rather than XAVC-S. That would leave spec room to the Z100 and the FS7 and room for a real replacement for the FDR_AX1 with XAVC-S.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 06:53 AM   #41
Tourist

FS5 is the model name now being reported. Still waiting on spec.

Sony PXW-FS5 is The Name of the New FS 4K Camera Coming to IBC 2015 | Cinescopophilia
Sam Collyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 08:38 AM   #42
Inner Circle

So many conflicting reports, this site reports Full Frame while SAR reports S35... Guess we'll have to stay up tonight to find out, and I will be tuning out of there is no 60p. I know others will tune out if there is no 10bit output capability.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 09:08 AM   #43
Trustee

No handle and no loupe? Better be less than $5k.
Old September 10th, 2015, 10:02 AM   #44
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
So many conflicting reports, this site reports Full Frame while SAR reports S35... Guess we'll have to stay up tonight to find out, and I will be tuning out of there is no 60p. I know others will tune out if there is no 10bit output capability.
I'll bet it's a FF sensor. Sony is putting all it has into FF lens development right now. A PXW-FS5 Full Frame camera will help separate it from The FS7 nicely.

Remember...the curent A7s sensor will NOT do 4k in Super35 mode! This will very much help protect the FS7's market place from this new FS5
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 11:29 AM   #45
Trustee

Excuse my ignorance.

I had assumed a larger sensor was "better". (Greater control of depth of field, greater sensitivity, etc.)

In reading this thread over the last few days, it appears that this is not necessarily so.

I personally can't see putting a smaller sensor on a more expensive camera, then putting a full frame sensor on its baby brother.

Can someone educate me?
Mike Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5