New Sony PXW-FS5 - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old October 23rd, 2015, 03:26 PM   #136
Regular Crew

Re: New Sony PXW-FS5

So does it have a waveform function or not? Seems like a strange thing to remove.

And is it really true that you can live stream your shooting via the WiFi functionality? If so, that's pretty huge, as adding a Teradek transmitter to the camera nearly doubles the weight. To be able to shoot without it is awesome. But do you have to transmit to a Teradek receiver, or what other devices can you stream directly to?

Also, is the built in focus magnification able to be used while recording?
Old October 24th, 2015, 02:58 AM   #137
Major Player

I mentioned it a few posts ago: no waveform monitor! (Alister said it would probably become too fidgety on the small screen) It does have an extra function on the histogram whereby if you reach 70% zebra's (for instance) a marker appears like a straight line cutting through the histogram.

You need the Teradek receiver to livestream, as I understood it.

Focus magnification can not only be used during recording but can also be moved around! Very nice feature if you're doing a locked down interview, for instance, and want to see the face of your interviewee magnified.
Old October 24th, 2015, 10:50 AM   #138
Regular Crew

Ah ok, sorry I missed your previous post about the waveform. That's a big disappointment though. I don't understand why they would not include one, as cameras of this size and price have had it for years.

Thanks for the additional info on the streaming and focus magnification.
Old October 25th, 2015, 04:33 PM   #139
Regular Crew

Was there any discussion about the variable ND and iris control? From what I can tell, the same scroll wheel controls both. So if you are engaging the variable ND, does that mean you cannot change the iris and vice versa?
Old October 25th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #140
Trustee

There's a toggle switch that controls that scroll wheel - Iris or ND. You can control one or the other at a time. It seems that with a quick flick of the finger, you could then modify the other.

BH has updated their website... "Expected availability: December 04 2015". For what that's worth. Perhaps Eric from Pro Video and Tape can tell us if that means the first units will ship on 12/4, or if pre-orders are expected to come before then.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 02:20 AM   #141
Major Player

And you can assign the ND function to the iris control on the handle.
Old October 26th, 2015, 03:46 AM   #142
New Boot

New Sony PXW-FS5 Footage :
Danilo Del Tufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 04:37 AM   #143
Regular Crew

Not much to learn there. What lens? What settings? Looks really flat (low contrast) to me. Creates more questions than answers.

I do like the dog, though. ;)
Tom Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 06:33 AM   #144
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
There's a toggle switch that controls that scroll wheel - Iris or ND. You can control one or the other at a time. It seems that with a quick flick of the finger, you could then modify the other.

BH has updated their website... "Expected availability: December 04 2015". For what that's worth. Perhaps Eric from Pro Video and Tape can tell us if that means the first units will ship on 12/4, or if pre-orders are expected to come before then.
Ok so switching from variND to iris control doesn't disengage the variND does it? Thanks for the info.
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:04 AM   #145
Regular Crew

The video is pretty informative and it answers pretty much all of the questions I had. Looks like a great run and gun camera. I normally run with an external monitor with a Waveform built-in, so not having one in the camera is not a big deal. Its light weight and the variable ND are its biggest assets. The 4-2-0, 8 bit 4K are its biggest negatives; it is NOT a cinema camera, but for what I do, it will be great!
Old October 27th, 2015, 09:25 PM   #146
Trustee

It doesn't mention this anywhere, but I think all cameras should have a tripod mounting plate..something that you can instantly click on or off.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 10:07 PM   #147
Trustee

Isn't that the 1/4-20 thread on the base?
Old October 28th, 2015, 12:21 PM   #148
Trustee

Yes, all cameras have 1/4 20 tap on the base. What I was talking about is a tripod mounting plate like the VCT-14. You mount the plate on the tripod. To mount the camera on the plate, simply insert the front under the dovetail and click on. To remove the camera, pull one lever and lift. Simple as that. I wish all cameras had a similar option.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #149
Trustee

Is the FS-5 even long enough to use a VCT-14 and not look ridiculous?

Why not put a VCT-14 base on your FS-5 for $100 and not force it on everyone else?
Old October 30th, 2015, 02:18 PM   #150
Sponsor: Westside AV

Canon makes a TA-100 that is only the front dovetail on the VCT14. It is much lighter and works very well.
You can get VCT-14 front wedges to go on any camera for $59.00.

I used to use the VCT14 on all my cameras even the 5DmkII. Now I have switched to AcraSwiss style on all my cameras and I intend on using that on my FS5 as well. My Jibs, Sliders, all my tripods and my StediCam all use the same system now. So I have a whole bunch of used VCT-14 base plates leftover, I sold a couple already. Some users with full FS7 kits using the brick systems really still like the very quick and positive lock mechanism.

The Acra system is lighter and does not have the irritating slight rock that you only notice when using light cameras, the old ENG 20+ lb cams sat on there really solidly, that is what the VCT14 was designed for.

I switched when I started using FS700 and FS7 cameras. The weight saving on the tripod even over the smaller TA-100 base is quite amazing, and it grips your camera very tightly.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5