Audio capabilities of the FS 5&7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old November 20th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio capabilities of the FS 5&7

I'm weighing the advantages/disadvantages of the FS5 and FS7, and the audio capabilities are of some concern to me. I'm used to having four channels on my current camera which allow me to run a stereo camera mic on 3&4, and talent mic's on 1&2.

The FS5 specifications only show two channels of audio were as the FS7 lists four channels. However in brackets Sony indicates that only two channels of record/playback is possible on the FS7.

Is it possible to record four sources at the same time on an FS7? I know there are two xlr inputs on the FS7, and integrated input capability on multi interface shoe. Can you put two wireless channels through the interface?
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2015, 09:39 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Audio capabilities of the FS 5&7

Yes you can record 4 channels from a combination of 5 different possible sources on the FS7. But you need to have a XLR-K2M or XL-K1M accessory to feed channels 3 and/or 4.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1078571-REG/sony_xlr_k2m_xlr_box_mi.htmlhttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892383-REG/Sony_xlr_k1m_XLR_Adapter_Microphone_Kit.html
The five potential sources are:

1) XLR1
2) XLR2
3) Internal Mic
4) XLR3 via K2M or K1M
5) XLR4 via K2M or K1M

Be aware that there are also some limitations on which inputs can be routed to which of the four channels, and which channels can be monitored at any given time.

Doug Jensen's Sony PXW-FS7 Field Guide Book

Old November 22nd, 2015, 06:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Doug, that's very helpful. Now if only the FS7 had the variable ND filter! No doubt that feature will be added to the next iteration of the camera. I suppose adjusting the ISO of the camera has a similar effect?
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2015, 02:31 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Newsom View Post
Thanks Doug, that's very helpful. Now if only the FS7 had the variable ND filter! No doubt that feature will be added to the next iteration of the camera. I suppose adjusting the ISO of the camera has a similar effect?
Hardly... a range of 1/4 to 1/128 is significantly more than you would want to do with ISO - unless you don't mind running with it really high! I love having a variable ND option when it's a partly cloudy day (going back and forth between direct sun and dense clouds!)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #5
Photographer

Being a relative newcomer to all things cinema, and my FS/7, I learn multiple things each time I fire it up. Apparently my audio is not set correctly because the jet engine audio is breaking up at the high end. I was working with the F/22 Raptor Demo team in August and I noticed a little clipping as they taxied close to me, less when they were performing above me. Today the audio was pretty much trash peaking at around -6 to -8.
Attached Thumbnails
Audio capabilities of the FS 5&7-screen-shot-2015-11-24-9.27.32-pm.jpg  
Old November 25th, 2015, 07:10 AM   #6
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Newsom View Post
The variable ND filter is a cool idea and I agree that we'll see it on more cameras but the 3 built-in ND filters of the FS7 are more than sufficient for getting your exposure in the right ballpark without touching the ISO/Gain. Personally I almost never touch the ISO/Gain setting on a shoot. The advantage of the variable ND is that you'll be able to fine-tune the exposure without touching the iris, which of course, can affect depth of field in ways you may not want.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5