Sony PXW-FS5 - Initial User Impressions - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old January 8th, 2016, 10:54 AM   #151
Inner Circle

Re: Sony PXW-FS5 - Initial User Impressions

Just an update. Went out today to shoot some QFHD test shots and found that one of my bundle of Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro SDXC 95MB/s Class 10 U3 cards was giving me an error on the FS5 ("card incorrectly inserted - please try again").

Brand new card straight out of the packaging today. It was bought from amazon uk (not a market place seller) about 6 weeks ago along with 5 other identical cards - which have all been absolutely fine/used pretty frequently (on my C100 and occasionally on the FS5 - which they were actually bought for re being 4K capable etc.)

Did not matter which slot I used on the FS5, I still got the error message.

By the way, my Slot B is a tighter fit on SDXC cards than Slot A - so sometimes the cards don't pop out with the internal spring - which is a bit of a pain as you have to then extract them with your nails. Anyone else have this problem on their FS5?

I'm certain the card is genuine and the funny thing is it'll mount on my Mac Pro and on my C100 etc. no problem - and once formatted on the C100 will allow me to record etc. (I only tested that for a few seconds just now). But for some reason, the FS5 just won't accept it.

I don't trust the card at all so have just arranged its replacement with amazon. First time I've ever had a duff card - maybe I've been lucky! I usually thoroughly test every CF or SDHC/SDXC card I buy before it goes in my kit bag - was so busy before Xmas with work that I never got round to testing this particular card. Lesson learnt, back to my old thorough card testing regime from now on!

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; January 8th, 2016 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Typos!
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 12:43 PM   #152
Trustee

My slot B is tighter than slot A. It feels like it's loosened up with use. They don't get stuck anymore. The first one I really did have to pry out of there.

I have not had the oddball memory card thing in the FS5. I did with the FS100. Sometimes you could format it in another camera and then format again in the FS100 and it'd work fine after that. Sometimes you just couldn't, and I'd retire that one (or in your case, return it).

I gotta say, I grew up on Beta tapes that were $25/ea and recorded 20 minutes. You'd need a case of them to shoot all day. Once we got to solid state memory, it was outrageously expensive and made those $25 betas look like a bargain. Now that we can pick up a 64GB card for $25, it'll hold 2 hours of video and I can re-use it forever... If I have to burn one once in a while... I just don't sweat it.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 01:35 PM   #153
Inner Circle

Ah, so its not just my FS5 that has a tight Slot B then!

Hopefully, now I am about to use the cam on some real work (starting next week) it'll free up with a bit more intensive use.
Old January 9th, 2016, 01:28 AM   #154
Major Player

I've experienced stuck B slots as well had to pry one out with a knife the other day. Thought it was the card but it happened with several cards but slot A smooth as butter. However the sticking seems random, was even considering putting some lube in there but I'll see how it loosens up. So seems to be s slight flaw here but hopefully will improve.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 03:27 PM   #155
Regular Crew

Don't know if this is the reason, but I have been using Sony SDXC cards and have had no trouble with either slot. They both take cards and eject them with no trouble.

Last edited by Jeremy Cole; January 10th, 2016 at 10:41 AM.
Jeremy Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 03:39 PM   #156
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
was even considering putting some lube in there but I'll see how it loosens up.
I suggest you use a few drops of motor oil, works wonders.

Just kidding, never ever do what you had in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has made it this way that their own cards fit without a problem and any other brand which might have minuscule deviations in size can cause this blocking now and then.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 10:20 AM   #157
Inner Circle

Further update. New replacement Sandisk SDXC card arrive from amazon yesterday. It mounts just fine/no card error message but yet again this one is a tight fit/reluctant to eject in Slot B (the outer one), ejects just fine in the Slot A. Might try and borrow a micrometer sometime and see if there are some minor dimensional differences between the Sandsik cards I have that stick (a few) and those that don't (the majority) - and in what dimension. Then I can get a file out (only joking!!!)

Also, in prepping for some commercial shooting this coming week, I re-checked all my gear and once again had an F-stop error with the Metabones IV and my Canon 10-22mm - the second time this has happened. All my other Canon lenses still worked fine though.

Only way I could "reboot" the Metabones seemed to be dismounting it from the FS5 (i.e. not just taking off the Canon 10-22mm from the adapter) and then re-mounting it again. Then the 10-22mm Iris adjustment worked as expected once re-mounted.

Will have to keep an eye on this...
Old January 10th, 2016, 02:05 PM   #158
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I suggest you use a few drops of motor oil, works wonders.

Just kidding, never ever do what you had in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has made it this way that their own cards fit without a problem and any other brand which might have minuscule deviations in size can cause this blocking now and then.
you got me, with some of the posts I have read lately... well, my jaw just dropped :)

For the record my b slot is also a slightly more snug fit... cards pop out fine but inserting them takes a hair more force kinda like the spring is a bit stiffer (doubt it is but thats what it feels like)
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 08:26 AM   #159
New Boot

Sony PXW-FS5 - ISO/GAIN button disabled on cam body

Sony PXW-FS5 - The ISO/GAIN button next to white balance and shutter in manual mode will not allow me to adjust gain or ISO when pressed. I have a choice between auto and whatever it was previously set to. I can manually adjust gain / iso by pressing function 5 on grip zoom then navigating joystick. Is this something Sony needs to fix? White balance and shutter works but not the iso / gain. What if I do not use hand grip then do I need to go into menu and change gain / iso? I don't thing so. Camera will be returned if this is the nature of the beast. Is anyone else having this issue? Thanks for your time in advance.
Robert Boni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 09:54 AM   #160
Regular Crew

from the manual:
1 Press the FULL AUTO button A
to set full auto mode off.

2 Press the ISO/GAIN button G.

3 Set the ISO/GAIN L/M/H switch G
to the desired position.
(The set ISO value or gain value appears.
You can set the value for each L/M/H
switch position using [ISO SET] or
[GAIN SET] in the (CAMERA/
PAINT) menu (p. 121).)
Old January 24th, 2016, 07:52 PM   #161
Trustee

Packing my FS5 in a Pelican 1510 (the airline rollaboard one) for my first flight this week. Everything fits well, but the LCD monitor is a bit of a wildcard. In my FS100 it folded into the unit and was thus difficult to damage. However on the FS5 it has no built-in safe place, and even removed I'm not sure what to do with it. Any suggestions?
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 09:12 PM   #162
Major Player

I use my sunglass sleeve to protect the LCD
Attached Thumbnails
Sony PXW-FS5 - Initial User Impressions-image.jpg  
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 10:00 PM   #163
Major Player

Wrap it in a small bubble wrap pouch
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 02:51 AM   #164
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
I played around with the digital zoom and on my Canon 1979 FD 50mm f1.4 it is fantastic with a cheap mechanical adapter FD -> NEX. It is now a f1.4 50-100 mm zoom, wow.
Hi Olof,

Could you please tell me if those Canon FD legacy lenses are good enough for full-blown UHD on this camera? This might be an important factor for me, as I have several of them (used with the FS100 I sold).

TIA, Piotr
Old January 25th, 2016, 09:06 AM   #165
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
I use my sunglass sleeve to protect the LCD
I do the same thing, would be easy to pack away without the LCD attached but that connection just doesn't seem like something I want to disconnect and re connect daily.
Ray Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5