Sony FS5 Firmware 1.1 Update Released at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old December 22nd, 2015, 09:04 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Sony FS5 Firmware 1.1 Update Released

It looks like the FS5 V 1.1 firmware is now ready…

Sony?s Christmas surprise – FS5 firmware version 1.1 available for download
Old December 22nd, 2015, 01:03 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony FS5 Firmware 1.1 Update Released

Well, this will make things easier and sooner than we all expected to boot. The 4K face detection is a nice bonus as well. Seems you still can't use an external monitor with face detection at the same time though. Putting a SmallHD 501 on the camera with overlays turned on has almost made me leave the included LCD at home. It will be interesting to see how well the face detection works...
Old December 22nd, 2015, 02:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

how do you turn on overlays? I can't for the life of me find this feature. Thanks!
Josh Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 03:29 PM   #4
Sponsor: Westside AV

Oops we have two of these posts going!

The update went very smoothly. About 4 minutes on a MBP.

Just follow directions precisely.

Use AC power, I used AC on UPS just in case of power outage, we are having a storm here. I also removed the battery.

Remove your SD cards, this is in the instructions.

Also if you did any customization, make sure you save the profile to an SD card before updating as everything is reset including time/date. I had a bunch of PPs I was playing with, and they restored fine from the SD card, I only reset my region and time after the update. The cam profile even saves your custom button assignments/iso settings etc, and that worked fine as well after restoring.

Merry Xmas everyone.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 05:42 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Swan View Post
how do you turn on overlays? I can't for the life of me find this feature. Thanks!
In the "Display Set" menu. The term for it is "Display Output." See page 135: http://www.vocas.nl/webfm_send/1239
Old December 24th, 2015, 02:15 AM   #6
Inner Circle

There is a report (posted as a comment on XDCAM User today) that FS5 firmware V1.1 results in the cam loosing date and time data, even after only a few minutes of being switched off. Reverts to default, even with battery still attached apparently.

Anyone else seeing this with this new firmware? Any other strange behaviour?

Note: Experience has taught me to hold back on all firmware updates for a while to see what bugs might emerge...which us why my FS5 is still on V1.0!!!
Old December 24th, 2015, 03:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

No problem here. I just checked the camera...did the firmware update yesterday.
Gildo Houtekamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 04:27 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
There is a report (posted as a comment on XDCAM User today) that FS5 firmware V1.1 results in the cam loosing date and time data, even after only a few minutes of being switched off. Reverts to default, even with battery still attached apparently.

Note: Experience has taught me to hold back on all firmware updates for a while to see what bugs might emerge...which us why my FS5 is still on V1.0!!!
I also decided to wait, but I actually had it drop the date once an hour or so after I set it for the first time... hasn't happened again in the couple weeks I have owed it
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 07:56 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post

After updating the Sony PXW-FS5 - The ISO/GAIN button next to white balance and shutter in manual mode will not allow me to adjust gain or ISO when pressed. I have a choice between auto and whatever it was previously set to. I can manually adjust gain / iso by pressing function 5 on grip zoom then navigating joystick. Is this something Sony needs to fix? White balance and shutter works but not the iso / gain. What if I do not use hand grip then do I need to go into menu and change gain / iso? I don't thing so. Camera will be returned if this is the nature of the beast. Is anyone else having this issue?

+ Face detection set to on disables joystick after fn5 is pressed on hand grip zoom. Is anyone having this problem? So close to returning this camera.
Robert Boni is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5