Sony A-Mount 70-300mm G Lens - FS5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old January 3rd, 2016, 07:40 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony A-Mount 70-300mm G Lens - FS5

I'm looking for a zoom with some reach for my new FS5. I don't have any Canon's aside from 24-105.

Looked at Sony 70-200 which is nice but pricey (CAD$1500).

Could pick up speedbooster and Canon 70-200L f4 but I loose more than 20% on the long end and AF if ever needed (although f2.8 is nice)

Anyone have experience with the Sony 70-300mm G with A-mount adaptor? Less half the price of the 70-200. Slower and variable aperature but would largely be used for daytime shots, so not a big issue. Needs adaptor, which is a pain. But has extra reach, which is great. And has good IQ according to reviews.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 12:24 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony A-Mount 70-300mm G Lens - FS5

I've been using the Canon 70-200mm F4 IS for the last couple of years with my C100s. It's a great lens and I've never really wanted the 2.8 version for the reason of weight, ease of focus, and handling. I used the same Canon lens on the FS5 (regular adapter) a couple of weeks ago for a concert b-roll shoot (big 500 person Christmas concert) and I can't say that the 70-200mm range left me wanting any more than that. Especially with the Clear Image zoom you've got a great range there.

The one thing I missed was the autofocus I had on the Canons before. Before year-end I bought a like-new but used Sony E-mount 70-200 F4 for just under $1k. Haven't had the time to test it yet but I think it's a very comparable lens to the Canon with the added option of autofocus. We'll see how it works out. I'll probably keep both because the Canon lens is just so adaptable to most camera systems, but I'm excited to try out the E-Mount functionality. A hard choice, but if I was buying a zoom lens for a camera, I would want universal capability (canon) or seamless integration with the current system (e-mount). I'm not sure if the A-Mount lens checks off any of those boxes.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 05:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Sony A-Mount 70-300mm G Lens - FS5

Thanks Nate.

I've used a 70-300 on my C100 and have found myself wanting more reach. But maybe the canon 70-200 f4 with simple commlite would be the ticket.

Although if I could find a cheap Sony 70-200 I'd be very tempted.

Still curious about the A mount 70-300 for video. I like the short length and black color for lower profile shooting.
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5