DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   To adapt or not to adapt? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/530839-adapt-not-adapt.html)

Brian Chow January 8th, 2016 10:28 PM

To adapt or not to adapt?

I've just ordered the FS5 with kit lens and it'll be here next week. Question I ask you that are experienced with this cam. Should I get a lens adaptor and if so, a simple one or a metabones. Let me give you a little background first. I'm coming from a C100 with a 24-105, a 35 1.4 and a 11-16, all Canon mounts. 90% of the time I just used the 24-105, the 35mm got used for interviews and the 11-16 was used very very little. Should I just buy another 35mm 1.4 Rokinon with E mount and call it a day or do you think I'm better off with an adaptor. Autofocus is not an issue for me. Thank you all in advance.

Derek McCabe January 9th, 2016 06:43 AM

Re: To adapt or not to adapt?

The only reason to use Metabones with Canon EF lenses is the autofocus. If you don't need that, get an E-mount prime.

Zeiss Loxia 35mm f/2 Biogon T* Lens for Sony E Mount

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1080388-REG/zeiss_2103_749_loxia_35mm_f_2_biogon.html
This has a de-clicked aperture ring for video and is super fast at f2. Super sharp lens.

I am about to pull out the credit card on this as well..the FS5, and as a Canon shooter, I have an entire bag of EF lenses. I want to use my 70-200 and my 300 f2.8. So I will get the Metabones. But for anything wider than 70mm, I think I would go direct with an E-mount prime.

Brian Chow January 9th, 2016 10:45 AM

Thanks Derek, After reading dozens of pages last night, I think I'm going to try the Commlite adaptor. It seems to get really good reviews and the price is right. Will check out the Zeiss.

Steve Rosen January 9th, 2016 11:23 AM

Brian: If you do decide on a Metabones (or any adapter for that matter) do whatever firmware may be available right away and shoot a lot with it to be sure it's working well. I bought a Metabones MFT-EF Smart adapter for another camera - but because my lenses were with a friend in Australia, wasn't able to test the adapter for a month.

By the time I did test it, the iris control didn't work - B&H wouldn't return it because it was over 30 days, and Metabones has the WORST customer service I've ever experienced, so I'm stuck with an unusable $400 adapter.

Nate Haustein January 9th, 2016 12:39 PM

The Commlite seems to work for me. After struggling with the 18-105 yesterday, I may go back to the EF Lens plus Apadpter.

Brian Rhodes January 9th, 2016 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Chow (Post 1906603)
I've just ordered the FS5 with kit lens and it'll be here next week. Question I ask you that are experienced with this cam. Should I get a lens adaptor and if so, a simple one or a metabones. Let me give you a little background first. I'm coming from a C100 with a 24-105, a 35 1.4 and a 11-16, all Canon mounts. 90% of the time I just used the 24-105, the 35mm got used for interviews and the 11-16 was used very very little. Should I just buy another 35mm 1.4 Rokinon with E mount and call it a day or do you think I'm better off with an adaptor. Autofocus is not an issue for me. Thank you all in advance.

Get the Metabones speed booster it will reduce the crop factor and you will gain 1 stop with your Canon lens. I also use the FotodioX Adapter .

Brian Chow January 9th, 2016 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Haustein (Post 1906635)
The Commlite seems to work for me. After struggling with the 18-105 yesterday, I may go back to the EF Lens plus Apadpter.

What kind of struggles were you having with the 18-105mm? Do you think it's worth getting the kit lens? My camera won't probably ship until Monday so I can still probably cancel the kit lens.

Keith Moreau January 14th, 2016 01:48 AM

I have a FS5 along with a few Sony E and FE lenses (for my A7s and A7sII). My feeling in general is that if you absolutely need autofocus that the adapters will not work reliably and you will need a native amount lens. However if you don't need autofocus, and need to manually focus in real time - on the fly, most of the Sony E mount lenses are horrible in that regard - manually focusing them is an absolute nightmare because the rings do not respond predictably as they are electronic and for whatever reason, not linear. I don't know why Sony lenses are that way because it almost makes them useless in that one way. Now I'm sure there are tons a other emount lenses like the higher end Zeiss and other 3rd party lenses that can manually focus well, but then if you are going to get one, and there is a similar EF lens, I would get the EF lens as it can be used on lots of different mounts. If you get a e mount lens it's only going to work on the Sonys.

Regarding adapters, the Commlite is electronically equal or superior to the much more expensive Metabones in controlling aperture and powering IS and equally good or bad at autofocus control, but it is prone to flare as there is no 'flocking' or light absorbing velvety material inside the adapter. This means you will get 'light leaks' like lens flare if you point your lens toward a strong light source, and it doesn't even need to be in the frame. I actually added flocking to the Commlite myself. In fact, on my podcast, TechMove, you can find out how to actually get some 'free' flocking material from me if you are so brave as to add it yourself to the Commlite.

If I were you I'd get the EF Rokinon and either the Commlite or even a less expensive totally passive adapter with no electronics, like Fotodiox or others that are just a metal tube. Since the Rokinon has no electronics, there isn't a need to use an expensive electronic adapter to control aperture, IS or autofocus. But since you have a variety of EF electronic lenses, I would probably go for the Commlite as an inexpensive choice and see how that works for you.

I have the FS5 and I continue to use a variety of EF glass, as it is actually, in my opinion, much better than the equivalent Sony / Zeiss glass. I actually bought several high end Sony / Zeiss lenses, such as the 24-70 FE and I was not impressed. Plus the added disadvantage of terrible manual focus. I returned most of the Zeiss glass.

Regarding the 18-105 Servo Kit lens, I would probably get that with the FS5, as it's really inexpensive for what it is, and it will work for you if you need to just put a lens on and get some reasonably ok images. When you buy it with the FS5 you get a $100 discount. With the amazing 'clear image zoom' in the FS5, you get a bit more range so it can be a longer lens without losing quality.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. And I've discussed this and will discuss more on my podcast, TechMove. TechMove is the Podcast all about Digital Filmmaking, Gear, Mac Computers, and iOS Devices from a Unique Perspective!

-Keith

Nelson Tan January 14th, 2016 04:56 AM

I use Tamron 24-70mm F2.8VC and Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS USM with Metabones Speedbooster Ultra T (T have flocking which reduce internal reflection), which makes them F2 zoom with IS, no need prime lens for me anymore.

Brian Chow January 14th, 2016 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Moreau (Post 1906889)
I have a FS5 along with a few Sony E and FE lenses (for my A7s and A7sII). My feeling in general is that if you absolutely need autofocus that the adapters will not work reliably and you will need a native amount lens. However if you don't need autofocus, and need to manually focus in real time - on the fly, most of the Sony E mount lenses are horrible in that regard - manually focusing them is an absolute nightmare because the rings do not respond predictably as they are electronic and for whatever reason, not linear. I don't know why Sony lenses are that way because it almost makes them useless in that one way. Now I'm sure there are tons a other emount lenses like the higher end Zeiss and other 3rd party lenses that can manually focus well, but then if you are going to get one, and there is a similar EF lens, I would get the EF lens as it can be used on lots of different mounts. If you get a e mount lens it's only going to work on the Sonys.

Regarding adapters, the Commlite is electronically equal or superior to the much more expensive Metabones in controlling aperture and powering IS and equally good or bad at autofocus control, but it is prone to flare as there is no 'flocking' or light absorbing velvety material inside the adapter. This means you will get 'light leaks' like lens flare if you point your lens toward a strong light source, and it doesn't even need to be in the frame. I actually added flocking to the Commlite myself. In fact, on my podcast, TechMove, you can find out how to actually get some 'free' flocking material from me if you are so brave as to add it yourself to the Commlite.

If I were you I'd get the EF Rokinon and either the Commlite or even a less expensive totally passive adapter with no electronics, like Fotodiox or others that are just a metal tube. Since the Rokinon has no electronics, there isn't a need to use an expensive electronic adapter to control aperture, IS or autofocus. But since you have a variety of EF electronic lenses, I would probably go for the Commlite as an inexpensive choice and see how that works for you.

I have the FS5 and I continue to use a variety of EF glass, as it is actually, in my opinion, much better than the equivalent Sony / Zeiss glass. I actually bought several high end Sony / Zeiss lenses, such as the 24-70 FE and I was not impressed. Plus the added disadvantage of terrible manual focus. I returned most of the Zeiss glass.

Regarding the 18-105 Servo Kit lens, I would probably get that with the FS5, as it's really inexpensive for what it is, and it will work for you if you need to just put a lens on and get some reasonably ok images. When you buy it with the FS5 you get a $100 discount. With the amazing 'clear image zoom' in the FS5, you get a bit more range so it can be a longer lens without losing quality.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. And I've discussed this and will discuss more on my podcast, TechMove. TechMove is the Podcast all about Digital Filmmaking, Gear, Mac Computers, and iOS Devices from a Unique Perspective!

-Keith

Thanks for the detailed comment Keith. I think I was heading down the same path as you had suggested.

Cheers!

Jeremy Doyle January 14th, 2016 08:56 PM

I have the Metabones speed booster for my GH4, but decided to get the Commlite for my FS5 after reading the reviews. I have an issue with my Sigma lenses (17-50 2.8 and 70-200 2.8) using the Commlite. The electronics don't talk so I don't have any iris control. The Commlite works with my Canon and Tokina lenses though.

All my lenses work with the Metabones on my GH4.

Andy Wilkinson February 8th, 2016 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek McCabe (Post 1906616)
The only reason to use Metabones with Canon EF lenses is the autofocus. If you don't need that, get an E-mount prime.

Zeiss Loxia 35mm f/2 Biogon T* Lens for Sony E Mount

Zeiss Loxia 35mm f/2 Biogon T* Lens for Sony E Mount 2103-749

This has a de-clicked aperture ring for video and is super fast at f2. Super sharp lens.

I am about to pull out the credit card on this as well..the FS5, and as a Canon shooter, I have an entire bag of EF lenses. I want to use my 70-200 and my 300 f2.8. So I will get the Metabones. But for anything wider than 70mm, I think I would go direct with an E-mount prime.

Hi Derek, just been reading about this lens. Did you buy it? And if so how do you find it on the FS5. Thanks!

Chad Johnson February 8th, 2016 06:16 PM

With Metabones Speedbooster Ultra EF to E mount the crop factor is .7, and using the Sigma 24-105mm f/4 lens I get an effective range of 17-73mm, and with Clear Image Zoom I get 17-146mm. And the lens gains a stop making it a constant f/2.8 because of the speed booster. For me the Speedbooster is a way to give me another precious stop of light for darker situations. The autofocus doesn't work with the Sigma through the speedboster, but the stabilization does still work. Making my EF mount lenses faster is the reason I have the speedbooster. The 30% wider frame is sweet too.

The 18-105 f/4 Kit zoom is effectively 27-158mm equivalent.

Lee Berger February 13th, 2016 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Johnson (Post 1908642)
With Metabones Speedbooster Ultra EF to E mount the crop factor is .7, and using the Sigma 24-105mm f/4 lens I get an effective range of 17-73mm, and with Clear Image Zoom I get 17-146mm. And the lens gains a stop making it a constant f/2.8 because of the speed booster. For me the Speedbooster is a way to give me another precious stop of light for darker situations.

This is combo of Sigma and Speedbooster is working on the FS5?