Fixed, fast lens for FS5 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old May 14th, 2016, 11:10 AM   #46
Major Player

Re: Fixed, fast lens for FS5

I just found the Canon 35m f2 IS USM as a store demo model for 499.00, and including the normally not included lens hood that goes for 44.00, so I saved close to 100.00 US. Not bad. I can't wait to get that baby on my FS5!
Old May 14th, 2016, 11:47 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Hi Chad,

1. All hand held - I promise (the odd shot was resting on a fence post or whatever). But, unlike my heavier C100 and much heavier, semi-shoulder PMW-300, I find the FS5 is very susceptible to "rocking/twisting" when held to your chest or face - still working on perfecting my technique with it. Therefore, many of the shots have been Warp Stabilised in post (Adobe CC2014). I think it is because the FS5 is small but also so blummin light in weight. I have a similar problem when using my tiny Panasonic TM900 camcorder.

I think the IS on any lens is great for removing those horrible micro-jitters that one sometimes sees - I find any footage like that totally unwatchable. But no, the IS on THIS lens is not going to make it look like you are shooting highly detailed 4K on a tripod. That's my conclusion and why I felt the need to Warp Stabilise many shots in post - but hey, at least I could and get some decent images :-). The only other thing I did in post was very mild contrast boost. All shot with Doug Jensen's Vortex FS5 Pro Picture Profile and White Balance locked at 6500K

2. I only ever use the Variable ND (or set it to Clear, i.e. off, for most indoor shooting of course), never the old fashioned stepped ND approach on the FS5. As you know, regardless of ND wheel position (1, 2 or 3) you can dial in very tiny steps up to maximum of 128th when the FS5's thumbwheel is set to allow it - I find it a wonderful way of exposing.

What I do is decide Iris (F-Stop) setting I want (a lot of that film was shot around F9 to get a deep, sharp DOF), then I adjust exposure via the variable ND until I just start to see zebras on highlights. I have Zebras set at 95%...I may lower this to 93% with the new V2.00 Firmware that I've just installed, as I got a bit hot on one or two shots. In V1.11 firmware only 5% steps were possible, now it's much more flexible - and you can have a second Zebra too.

When I wanted a shallow DOF (e.g. the shaky railing spikes shot early on - not stabilised in post), I found I could not stop clipping (as judged by those Zebras) without using an Iris setting of at least F3.5 - because of the bright sunny conditions. No F2 or F2.8 was possible there. So yes, an additional screw on ND filter would be needed if you really wanted to open up more on a bright sunny day.

The lens is a definite keeper - but without the Speedbooster (in my opinion) is not quite wide enough on the FS5 for a walk-about general lens. When I get my Speedbooster it'll be perfect.
Old May 14th, 2016, 11:52 AM   #48
Major Player

Thanks for the report Andy! I have my lens on order now. I can't wait to try it out. Now to go install FW 2.0.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5