Fixed, fast lens for FS5 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old January 14th, 2016, 04:59 AM   #16
Tourist

Re: Fixed, fast lens for FS5

Canon or Sony 35mm with IS/OSS, I got 50mm 1.8 OSS but too narrow for general use, good for beauty shot though.
Nelson Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 06:15 AM   #17
Major Player

Thanks for all the suggestions. I want to stick with stabilized ... shooting on sticks is not always an option for me and my hand ain't that steady.
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 12:37 PM   #18
Major Player

I agree that a stabilized lens is pretty important for handheld unless you have a really good rig as well. The FS5 doesn't have sensor stabilization (darn!) - what you are seeing is in the lens if the FS5 senses it.

On thing, if your delivery is HD, is that if you shoot in 4K you can also crop in post which can effectively double your focal length. Couple that with the in camera clear image zoom of 1.5x a 24mm can be a 24-75. Also if you have just 1 lens, particularly on a super35mm sensor like the one on the FS5, 17 or 18mm is good for a wide. Really even 24mm isn't all that wide if you don't have the chance to get some distance from you and the subject - which can happen in run and gun situations. However there are not that many stabilized prime wide lenses.

What you can do is get something like the Canon EF 24mm f2.8 IS and put a Metabones Speedbooster Ultra T on that, which will get you to a 17-18mm equivalent and also make the f2.8 a stop faster so it's more like a 2.0. Or you can get something like the excellent Tamron 24-70 2.8 IS with a speedbooster and get a stabilized fast lens that is nearly as sharp as a prime. You can get a Tamron refurbished for around $900, add a $650 Speedbooster Ultra and you have a really versatile setup.

The beauty of getting a full frame lens and adding a Speedbooster is that if you do get a full frame camera in the future, like a A7s or A7sII or any camera, you can still use the lens, it's not married to the sensor size or even the brand's mount.

What you may be sacrificing is a bit of portability and lightness of a native FS5 + native mount setup. Adding a speedbooster and some fast glass adds few inches of length to the front of the FS5, and definitely some weight.

I personally would not get the Rokinon 24mm (I have it). It is probably Samyang/Rokinon's worst lens in terms of sharpness and uniformity. I recently got a Canon 24 f1.4 II which has superlative image quality but that is an expensive lens.

I talk about all this stuff in my podcast, TechMove, TechMove is the Podcast all about Digital Filmmaking, Gear, Mac Computers, and iOS Devices from a Unique Perspective!

Regards,

-Keith
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 03:43 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks Keith for weighing in!
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 10:12 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
This is one possibility if you want something at a relatively low cost, the Canon 35mm F2 IS EF.

Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Lens Review

I don't have it but have wondered about getting something like this as, especially with the Clear Image Zoom on the FS5, it could prove highly useful.

Other options that I have (so far) looked at are a lot more money, but IS is a big factor for me. One of the appeals of the FS5 (and my C100) is the ease of hand-held shooting without any rig/small discrete form factor - and the IS will remove those horrible micro-jitters.

Worth reading some of the amazon reviews on this link too.

Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Lens: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Hi again. I tried to find this lens at my local camera store in Cambridge today to test what the focus ring is like but they did not have one in stock. Anyone got it and care to give me an opinion of it for video use (will be on my FS5 or C100.

Thanks in advance.
Old January 21st, 2016, 10:14 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
This is one possibility if you want something at a relatively low cost, the Canon 35mm F2 IS EF.

I don't have it but have wondered about getting something like this as, especially with the Clear Image Zoom on the FS5, it could prove highly useful.

Other options that I have (so far) looked at are a lot more money, but IS is a big factor for me. One of the appeals of the FS5 (and my C100) is the ease of hand-held shooting without any rig/small discrete form factor - and the IS will remove those horrible micro-jitters.

Hi again. I tried to find this lens at my local camera store in Cambridge today to test what the focus ring is like but they did not have one in stock. Anyone got it and care to give me an opinion of it for video use? (will be on my FS5 or C100 and I am especially interested in how well the focus ring works).

Thanks in advance.
Old January 21st, 2016, 11:48 PM   #22
Regular Crew

This is perfect lens :-)

Veydra Mini Prime 25mm T2.2
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 06:51 AM   #23
Regular Crew

To join this thread. The Veydra looks promising but I'm looking for a prime canon lens to use on my GH4 to via commlite adapter. What will the best mm size be for allround shooting primaly to use on the FS5 together with a speedbooster?
Peter Brinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 10:58 AM   #24
Major Player

A Sony or Tamron 35mm f/1.8 are both fast lenses, a good general purpose focal length for a prime, and are stabilised.

Tamron SP 35mm and 45mm f/1.8: Pro Prime Lenses with Stabilization

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892387-REG/Sony_sel35f18_35mm_F_1_8_Optical_Steady.html
David Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 08:37 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
I have an old FD 35mm f2 Canon it is a really nice lens from the 70's and it works well with a Fotodiox adapter, these lenses can be found for less than $200 in perfect shape. Mine is mint I am the only user.

It is interesting the lens has a slight brown tone, this can be fixed by WB, but I sometimes really like the effect, a bit like sepia.

35mm is a really nice focal length and with digizoom it is 35-70 a fantastic range (roughly 35-55 in UHD). I often find myself using somewhere between 35 to 70 on my zoom lenses.
Like Olof, I have 3 nice Canon FD Lenses I used first with my Letus on the EX1, then on my FS100: a 35mm F1.4, a 24mm F2.8, and a 35-105 constant F4 zoom. I bought them from eBay for some 25 Euros each, and they were just great for HD. Howver - having seen Olof's comparison of his 35mm Canon FD with the FS5 kit lens, they lack ins sharpness in 4K, and have no stabilization... Nevertheless, I'm going to keep them in case I bought an FS5 or FS7, after all...
Old February 1st, 2016, 09:06 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I am using a number of old Nikon lenses with the FS5 and just picked up a used Metabones Nikon Speedbooster. Wow, what a difference. I have an old 20mm f4 Nikon that I used to love using with my Nikon F2 and it is is great on the FS5. I don't miss not having stabilization at all! I also have a 28mm f3.5, a a 50 f1.4, and a 105mm f2.5 among others. They are great on the FS5. No issues.
Old April 18th, 2016, 06:15 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:

Just a quick update. I've been trying to buy what seemed to be good, second-hand copies of this Canon 35mm F2 IS lens on "fleebay" recently, but in both cases the lenses sold for more than I can buy a new one for (thanks partly due to Canon's current offer of £45 cash back on this particular lens). So I bought a brand new one yesterday from a well respected UK photography dealer (Park Cameras) for £334 including VAT and delivery. Should get it this week :-)
Old April 18th, 2016, 08:41 AM   #28
Major Player

What about the Sony E mount 35mm f/1.8 OSS (stabilized)? Fast, optically good, and currently $398 at B&H.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 08:43 AM   #29
Major Player

Just noticed that the Sony 35mm f/1.8 OSS was already mentioned. Sorry.

+1 for this idea.

Don't have one (yet) but might buy one.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 09:08 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Yes, another option Richard. I looked at it (or to be precise some reviews of it) as it was going to be about the same price - currently around £350 in the UK from reputable dealers.

Thing is, I could only use it on the Sony FS5, not on my Canon C100 (I have a Metabones) and 7D (long ago relegated to stills use only) - so I preferred the flexibility of buying EF glass. And to 'seal the deal', I was also concerned about some reports of bad colour fringing on the Sony lens. The Canon 35mm F2 IS is supposed to be tack sharp, optically equal to Canon's best L glass (in most respects apart from lack of weather sealing and no 'red ring').

Horses for courses...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5