FS5 file please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old January 16th, 2016, 11:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FS5 file please

Hallo

is possible to help my with a file 4K in Dropbox an unedited file direct from FS5,I want to see how it goes and the ISO 6400 - 8000 ..most important to test and my computer if work with FS5 file :-)

Thanks

Last edited by Docea Marius; January 17th, 2016 at 10:19 PM.
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 11:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: FS5 file please

nobody can put a 4k file filmed FS5 at iso 6400 ?? in dropbox..or google drive..
tx
Old January 19th, 2016, 04:32 PM   #3
Sponsor: Westside AV

If you're trying to evaluate the camera the best thing to do is just rent one and try to shoot exactly the way you want to shoot because everybody needs to shoot in a different way so you should just rent one and do the tests yourself .
Old January 19th, 2016, 07:15 PM   #4
Trustee

Here ya go. Hope my dark living room, agitated wife and sleeping dogs do the trick. Process was to set the iris on auto and let the camera adjust to proper exposure after changing ISO to the requested settings.

DOWNLOAD LINK:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/euthqilsfj...TESTS.zip?dl=0

First 3 clips are 3200, 6400, 10000 using PP6 with Cine4/Pro Color.
Custom push white balance, iris on auto, and 0EV

Last 3 clips are 3200, 6400, 10000 using PP7 with S-Log2/S-Gamut3.cine Color.
3200 S-Gamut white balance, iris on auto, and +1.5EV
Old January 19th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Nate, it was very cool of you to share those files. Dvinfo is a great community.

I dowloaded your files and opened them up in Catalyst browse.

What can I say? The Noise, Color Fringing, and Artifacts are really bad. And you are not moving the camera. (that's when all hell breaks lose)

I own the FS5 and I am thinking about returning it.

I absolutely love the camera but it's 4K video compared to my FS7 is horrible not crippled.

I know it looks much better with an external recorder. I have a Shogun but I did not buy this camera to use with it. I bought it for a run and gun filming.

In my opinion it's the XAVC-L codec implemented on this camera.

Thanks and Best Regards

Last edited by Michael Stevenson; January 19th, 2016 at 08:47 PM.
Michael Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 09:15 PM   #6
Trustee

You're right. It's rough at the higher gain settings. I really try not to use it higher than ISO3200, there are better tools out there for the high-gain situations. For the file sizes, convenience and compactness, this is the price we pay. That being said, the scene in my dark living room WAS especially terrible...

However, at a normal ISO1000 or ISO3200 in S-Log, and when using reasonable lighting or when outdoor shooting, I've been happy with it.
Old January 19th, 2016, 10:14 PM   #7
Trustee

Want to reveal the noise better? Strip the color and look at the luma in black and white. The noise and blocking pop out for a better inspection of what is really going on.

Ouch. Is the the best that sensor can do in 8bit? I'm sure it's a good Super35 sensor with a good signal to noise ratio. As a huge Sony fan that has owned MANY Sony cameras in my life...this sensor just seems to me to be under achieving to me. Or the noise reduction process is not tuned right???

The noise looks more like something from a smaller sensor camera and not a large, Sony super35 image sensor.

If this was a BlackMagic camera, I'd say it's "OK" and normal but this isn't a CMOSIS made sensor, it's a "Sony" image sensor.

I dont know. I'm still holding final judgement until I get my own.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 10:35 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Not sure if everyone is aware but different pictures profiles have different gain even though the "ISO" readout stays constant . pp5 at those ISO settings would be +15 to +21 of gain. I think I am finally understanding the wildly different reviews I have read.

The Sony cameras I am coming from are the FS100 and FS700 so I am actually pretty thrilled with the high ISO performance, not that I would ever use it. I figure many people must be coming from A7 type cameras or other similar ISO performing systems (either really better or just more aggressive noise reduction)

21db of gain is really high
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 10:42 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Nate Haustein

you are the first in the world to put a file 4k from FS5...thank you very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
Here ya go. Hope my dark living room, agitated wife and sleeping dogs do the trick. Process was to set the iris on auto and let the camera adjust to proper exposure after changing ISO to the requested settings.

DOWNLOAD LINK:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/euthqilsfj...TESTS.zip?dl=0

First 3 clips are 3200, 6400, 10000 using PP6 with Cine4/Pro Color.
Custom push white balance, iris on auto, and 0EV

Last 3 clips are 3200, 6400, 10000 using PP7 with S-Log2/S-Gamut3.cine Color.
3200 S-Gamut white balance, iris on auto, and +1.5EV
Old January 19th, 2016, 10:48 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hallo Olof Ekbergh

you are right,but unfortunately, here in Romania I have no place to rent this camcorder.I want to buy FS5,but watch Canon C100 Mark II and I have not found comparativ test C100 M2 vs FS5..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
If you're trying to evaluate the camera the best thing to do is just rent one and try to shoot exactly the way you want to shoot because everybody needs to shoot in a different way so you should just rent one and do the tests yourself .
Old January 20th, 2016, 03:25 AM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
Here ya go...
Finally some ungraded UHD slog clips to play with. Thank you very much!

Alex
Alexander Mellich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 06:12 AM   #12
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stevenson View Post
What can I say? The Noise, Color Fringing, and Artifacts are really bad. And you are not moving the camera. (that's when all hell breaks lose)
With all due respect to Nate for taking the time to shoot the clips and post them, you can't make any judgements about the performance of the camera from these clips. By Nate's own admission they were shot with a bunch of randomly selected settings that don't work together and with no attention paid to exposure or anything else. We don't even know what the lens was. Take them for what they are, but PLEASE do not judge the camera my these hastily shot tests. I would send my camera back to Sony if I thought this is what the camera really looks like.

Last edited by Doug Jensen; January 20th, 2016 at 06:56 AM.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 08:25 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stevenson View Post
I"m not sure if I am the only one but I honestly don't understand what you guys are complaining about, that last clip (10000 using PP7 with S-Log2/S-Gamut3.cine Color.) looked perfectly fine to me, I would be glad being able to shoot such a nice and clean image at 10.000 iso, my wife was standing next to me when I was viewing that clip and I asked, "can you point out noise, color fringing, and artifacts" and she had no idea what I was talking about, for her it looked fine as well. Ofcourse it could be that most of you shoot high end commercials for big companies who expect artifact free images at 10.000 iso without extra light but seriously, are you not expecting too much or staring too close at the screen while pausing the video or taking frames out and magnifying them in photoshop? Or do I really have so low standards that I am blind to the obvious?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 09:04 AM   #14
Trustee

Can I make a suggestion? Form now on, whenever we discuss the noise performance of this camera, can we all use "0db" or "+3db", "+6db"...etc? When we talk "ISO" terms with all the different gamma curves the FS5 has, it just mucks up and confuses the conversation.

"ISO" is fine but I think that measuring the actual amount of "GAIN" amplification that the camera is applying to the image is just a better way of discussing it with the gamma setting that is being used.

I dunno, that's just me I guess.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 09:05 AM   #15
Major Player

Obviously these clips need transcoding before bringing into Premiere Pro CS6. Is this best through Adobe Media Encoder or is there a bit of free software that will equally do the trick?
Nigel Davey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5