How do you carry your FS5? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old January 30th, 2016, 03:00 PM   #16
Vortex Media

Re: How do you carry your FS5?

There's a shot at 14:20 in this video that shows my FS5 coming out of a Cinebags backpack. I let it rest on the battery end of the body with the lens facing up. Still plenty of room to pack other stuff in the compartment although that's not shown in this video.

Old January 31st, 2016, 12:37 AM   #17
Trustee

Ten years here and I still don't know how to put a photo inline.

Anyhow, click to look. Pelican 1510 with 1515 padded divider and 1519 lid organizer. Camera with 17-50 (Canon) and dumb adapter sits upright on the bottom right. Bottom left is camera rain gear, battery charger/shore power and camera top LED light (that I never use but am afraid to leave home without). Top is a hot mess right now, but top right is the handle/monitor/mic mount contraption (which is particularly hard to pack), the white thing is a AA battery charger. Top left everything else, an extra U60 battery, the U30 battery that came with the camera, couple of legacy 970 batteries for lights, shotgun mic, AA bats, Sennheiser G3, FS5 handle, and some odds and ends.

Lid of the case is pretty empty, haven't had time to scavenge everything i need from the FS100 pelican case which is going to the b-camera pile.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2016, 06:52 AM   #18
Vortex Media

That's an interesting solution, but it would not work for me because it requires breaking the camera down every time I would need to move to a new location. I only use bags or cases that will hold a fully built rig. That even includes my FS7 and F55 with a huge 200-400 f/4 lens on it. Breaking down and rebuilding wastes time and is hard on the gear.
Old January 31st, 2016, 09:26 AM   #19
Trustee

Yeah, take off the hand grip and top handle. Takes a few minutes, usually once a day. I was a news guy for a long time and would have found this unacceptable, but I've finally come to terms with the fact that I'm a production guy now.

If I'm around town sometimes I just put the fully assembled camera in the pelican and don't close the lid. Depends on the day.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 09:10 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Anyone tried out the slightly smaller CB23 with the FS5? It looks like it will work and be easier to travel with.
Old February 1st, 2016, 09:19 AM   #21
Vortex Media

In addition to the CB25 I've also had a smaller CB22 since 2007. The FS5 fits nicely but not as much room for extra accessories as the CB25. I'm not sure how the CB22 compares to the CB23 but the pictures on the Cibnebags website look similar. I would bet the CB23 would handle the FS5.
Old February 1st, 2016, 09:44 AM   #22
Major Player

For what it's worth. I like to keep my gear in a rolling case (carry on-sized, specifically). The Pelican 1510 was great with the FS100, but with the FS5 (assembled), it was just a bit too small. I picked up a used Porter Case recently, and it's been a great fit for both the FS100 and FS5 bodies, along with 6 lenses, batteries, and accessories. I had people asking about gear transport, so I put together a short video showing how it all fits in nicely. The only thing I need to do on-site is attach a lens and it's ready to roll.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5