Controlling FS5 with smartphone - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old February 1st, 2016, 04:28 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Controlling FS5 with smartphone

Can see this being useful if you have it as a secondary unmanned camera. Just being able to see that it's still recording and that nobody's knocked it off position...
I wanted this for my A7s as I sometimes have it as an unmanned b-camera. And would be great if I could start/stop remotely because of the 29:50 time limit. But read somewhere it only works in standard gamma when controlled remotely so haven't bothered.
If the FS5 can be in any mode and monitored and started/stopped remotely that is already a step up ;)
Old February 1st, 2016, 06:00 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I was hoping it worked like my GH4 app where I can control the camera including aperture and Focus if i have an auto lens on it. I film myself often in a run and gun situations, while flipping the monitor could be a solution, most of the time, I'm too far away to see my exposure and focus.
Brian Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 07:40 PM   #18
Major Player

You can control focus and zoom. Don't think aperature was an option.
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 08:46 PM   #19
Vortex Media

Aperture is an option with the right lens. But you can't see zebras or anything else that would help you set the correct exposure. And the video streaming to the mobile device doesn't look very good, do it'd be a crap shoot to set exposure via Wi-Fi. I would recommend running a video cable to a real monitor if possible, and just using the Wi-Fi for actual control.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 02:28 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri Zigany View Post
Can see this being useful if you have it as a secondary unmanned camera. Just being able to see that it's still recording and that nobody's knocked it off position...
Yes. At a conference where the second camera is locked off but for whatever reason you just want a quick check to see its all OK. Usually I have to leg it around the room but a quick check on the phone just to check its still recording and framed would be great.

Also the occasions where you are setting up for an interview and you end up squinting at the viewfinder just to check the framing is roughly right. Or CSO work where you just want to check where the edge of frame is, yet again without having to squint at the LCD.

Perhaps its useless, perhaps the range is rubbish, who knows? I will be interested to see how it works in the real world. It is neither a feature I purchased the camera for or wish to rely on. But I can see the potential uses.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 08:08 PM   #21
Regular Crew

OK, I found out how to monitor the FS5 after some fiddling. I will agree its pretty useless as even if I walk less than 10 ft away, it loses the connection which makes it very useless. It thought the GH4 wifi was weak but this takes the case.
Brian Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 06:00 PM   #22
Major Player

Just an update on this. Yep, tried to use it in anger today and its useless even as a confidence monitor for quickly checking the camera is ok. At they bare minimum they need to get the histogram, focus peaking and VU's onto the phone display. With those two things at least I'd be be able to see if things are OK at a glance.
Old February 15th, 2016, 06:20 PM   #23
Vortex Media

Told you so. :-)
Old February 15th, 2016, 10:13 PM   #24
Regular Crew

This application is great for me,I put the camera on the crane and so they control enough..I use another application like this for A7S :-)
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 12:04 PM   #25
Major Player

I suppose I could see it being useful on a jib or something but you'd need to set the camera first as the display is useless for judging anything.
Old February 16th, 2016, 12:31 PM   #26
Major Player

Even if it is only good enough to start and stop recording I'd be happy.
That means that a gimbal operator doesn't have to worry about that when a director or remote operator can press record. In my experience using 1 hand to press the rec button is what makes gimbals heavier...
The image wll be seen on a monitor anyway.
Old February 16th, 2016, 01:22 PM   #27
Regular Crew

inside, in standard lighting conditions..is perfect this app.
Docea Marius is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5