DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   Controlling FS5 with smartphone (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/531021-controlling-fs5-smartphone.html)

Brian Chow January 28th, 2016 08:36 PM

Controlling FS5 with smartphone

Just getting around to experimenting with my new FS5. I've been trying to try out the wifi features especially the control with smartphone. I can get my iphone6 to connect with the camera wifi but cannot get any type of picture or the option to monitor. Would anyone have some insight to this? I do not have the stock lens BTW and am using Canon L lenses with a Commlite adaptor. Thanks

Brian Chow January 31st, 2016 10:10 PM

Re: Controlling FS5 with smartphone

Has anyone tried to control their FS5 with their smart device?

Mike Watson January 31st, 2016 10:40 PM

Works fine on Android. Doesn't really work how I want it to, but as far as looking at it and starting/stopping, it works fine.

Piotr Wozniacki February 1st, 2016 12:59 AM

Do you have the actual picture from the camera while controlling it from a smartphone? Starting/stopping is OK, but framing and general picture monitoring would be a godsend...

Marcus Durham February 1st, 2016 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Chow (Post 1907876)
Just getting around to experimenting with my new FS5. I've been trying to try out the wifi features especially the control with smartphone. I can get my iphone6 to connect with the camera wifi but cannot get any type of picture or the option to monitor. Would anyone have some insight to this? I do not have the stock lens BTW and am using Canon L lenses with a Commlite adaptor. Thanks

Works fine. Don't have the camera with me at the moment but the option to view is buried away in one of the menus. The UI on the app is simply awful! But I have had it working. IIRC one of the menus at the top lets you do it.

Piotr Wozniacki February 1st, 2016 05:17 AM

What is actually the name of the Android/iOS app?

Doug Jensen February 1st, 2016 06:07 AM

I have a whole chapter devoted to this subject in my master class and have connected the camera to my iPad numerous times. The app is called Content Browser Mobile.

Piotr Wozniacki February 1st, 2016 06:34 AM

Thanks Doug.

Doug Jensen February 1st, 2016 08:15 AM

My advice: Don't even waste your time with it.

Piotr Wozniacki February 1st, 2016 08:22 AM

Not going to; just a technological novelty to try :)

Thanks

Piotr

Marcus Durham February 1st, 2016 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1908067)
My advice: Don't even waste your time with it.

Really? Thought it looked quite useful if you are using the FS5 as a locked off B camera where the camera is remote to you as a lone operator (depending on what the range is like). Sure it isn't up to much but allows you to check everything is ticking over.

Doug Jensen February 1st, 2016 10:10 AM

What info are you hoping to see wirelessly?
I'd be interested to hear how you liked it once you've actually used it on a real production.

Dave Mercer February 1st, 2016 11:45 AM

Help frame yourself for standups as a lone shooter / VJ. I've had producers try to frame but always way too much headspace. This way they can tilt tripod up / down and I can check framing while I'm in shot.

That said, haven't actually used it in the field yet, just practice at home.

Doug Jensen February 1st, 2016 12:02 PM

Good luck with that.
In my opinion, it would be much easier to spin the LCD screen around to face forward and use the mirror button.

Dave Mercer February 1st, 2016 12:42 PM

I suppose it depends on how bright the sun is and how far away one is from the camera.

Looking forward to watching your course!