Confused over Nikon adapters for FS5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old February 11th, 2016, 03:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Confused over Nikon adapters for FS5

I've just ordered a FS5 and now want to get an adapter for my Nikon G DX lenses. Initially after discussions in other threads I thought the standard Metabones version was the way to go at just under £100

I'm assuming this one? Metabones]Metabones Smart Adapter - Nikon G to Sony E (MB_NFG-E-BM1) - Wex Photographic

But then I watched a video by Alister Chapman and he recommends the MTF Nikon adapter at nearly £300

This one I assume: MTF MTNIKSEM Nikon G to Sony E Mount Adaptor (NEX & VG10 & FS100) - MTF from Tnp Broadcast UK

So what is the difference that justifies nearly x3 the price? Also I'm spotting some Commlite versions on eBay for around £50, so are they worth considering?
Nigel Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 03:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Confused over Nikon adapters for FS5

Back when I used a Panasonic AF-100, I bought an MTF Nikon G to Micro 4/3 adapter. The lens release on that adapter was small and very stiff, resulting in my tearing up my thumbnail whenever I released the lens. I replaced that with a Voigtlander adapter, which was much easier to operate.
When I got a Sony FS7, I couldn't find a Voigtlander adapter for it, but I got a Metabones Nikon G to Sony E adapter, and it works great. (I did NOT get the Speedbooster version, just the mount adapter.)
Ken Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 03:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Davey View Post

So what is the difference that justifies nearly x3 the price? Also I'm spotting some Commlite versions on eBay for around £50, so are they worth considering?
I can't think of what would justify such a difference for a passive adaptor.

To be honest for my VG10 I've spent 3 years using a cheap chinese adaptor costing about 15 quid which has been fine. A little bit of play on the mount but otherwise fine. Image wise its always been fine. As its been used the movement on the aperture ring has become looser. But it cost next to nothing!

But for the FS5 I have a Metabones mount on order as it has measures to reduce internal reflections and is supposed to have a tighter fit and nicer aperture control.

But they are all passive adapters and it was hard to justify the cost of the Metabones one let alone one even more expensive.

I'll feed back on the Metabones once I have it.
Old February 11th, 2016, 04:11 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
To be honest for my VG10 I've spent 3 years using a cheap chinese adaptor costing about 15 quid which has been fine. A little bit of play on the mount but otherwise fine
That's why I would never get a cheap adapter, even if it's just a passive one, that little bit of play makes it useless because everytime you touch your lens to focus you risk introducing a shake in your image which only gets worse in zoom lenses. You also can have just the opposite, that it requires force to get the lens on the adapter or the adapter on the camera causing one of the mounts getting damaged while you have to apply excessive force to get it off again.

Those very cheap adapters are often not machined precisely enough for a tight fit which is crucial, you can also ask yourself, if you just spend that amount on a camera, is it worth to save a bit on a adapter?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 04:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
That's why I would never get a cheap adapter, even if it's just a passive one, that little bit of play makes it useless because everytime you touch your lens to focus you risk introducing a shake in your image which only gets worse in zoom lenses.
When I say "play", let me be clear that it wasn't loose. If you gripped the lens firmly and started moving it then you could feel it wasn't a tight fit. Adjusting the focus wasn't a problem however. I do take your point but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as you describe.

And as I said, I'm not willing to tolerate that on the FS5 hence the Metabones has been ordered.
Old February 11th, 2016, 04:37 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I just wanted to warn Nigel about those cheap Commlite versions on eBay for around £50, they are cheap for a reason.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 07:31 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Nigel,

I use both the standard and the speed booster versions of the Metabones Nikon to eMount adapters and they both are great...rock solid. No worries.

Quote:
I've just ordered a FS5 and now want to get an adapter for my Nikon G DX lenses. Initially after discussions in other threads I thought the standard Metabones version was the way to go at just under £100

I'm assuming this one? Metabones]Metabones Smart Adapter - Nikon G to Sony E (MB_NFG-E-BM1) - Wex Photographic

But then I watched a video by Alister Chapman and he recommends the MTF Nikon adapter at nearly £300

This one I assume: MTF MTNIKSEM Nikon G to Sony E Mount Adaptor (NEX & VG10 & FS100) - MTF from Tnp Broadcast UK

Old February 12th, 2016, 07:21 AM   #8
Major Player

Is this the version you have, ie the 'smart' version?

Metabones Smart Adapter - Nikon G to Sony E (MB_NFG-E-BM1) - Wex Photographic

Would I be right is saying this adaptor will give my FS5 electronic control over the aperture in my Nikon G lenses? In other words would the FS5 take care of automatic exposure?

On is there a simpler route on the FS5 where you can set the Nikon lens to a specific aperture and the FS5 will adjust the electronic ND to provide correct exposure?

I guess what I'm trying to work out is whether I'll need to set both focus and aperture manually with Nikon glass on my FS5 or if there's any way the camera can take care of exposure? Obviously in run-n-gun scenarios I'd rather not be doing both.
Old February 12th, 2016, 08:37 AM   #9
Regular Crew

The adapters have no electronic connections to the camera. They are manual adapters. If you want electronic connections head to the Canon lens side.
Old February 12th, 2016, 08:45 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi Jemery. I know that's true of the standard mechanical version. But on this smart version they claim:

True electronic integration of aperture diaphragm - let camera automatically choose aperture in P or S exposure modes, or dial in yourself on the camera body in A or M modes.
EXIF data such as lens identification, focal length and aperture.

Obviously this relates to the modes found on Sony NEX cameras, but I was wondering if any of this carried over onto the FS5 since they are both, I assume, set up the same way electronically on their E mounts.
Old February 12th, 2016, 01:18 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I read in a review that there were accuracy problems with the commlite smart nikon to Sony E adapter.
The Commlite Nikon F to Sony E adapter will come with autofocus and stabilization support | Nikon Rumors
That was a pre-production model, so current release may be improved.
I've heard rumors that Techart could be making a similar adapter.
Interesitngly enough, they have an autofocus adapter that will work with manual lenses.
Not sure how that can be done, but if it works that would be incredible.
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2016, 06:28 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Hi Jemery. I know that's true of the standard mechanical version. But on this smart version they claim:

True electronic integration of aperture diaphragm - let camera automatically choose aperture in P or S exposure modes, or dial in yourself on the camera body in A or M modes.
EXIF data such as lens identification, focal length and aperture.

Obviously this relates to the modes found on Sony NEX cameras, but I was wondering if any of this carried over onto the FS5 since they are both, I assume, set up the same way electronically on their E mounts.
The speed booster version of the Metabones Nikon to eMount adapter has NO electronic integration. I used it on an Interview shoot this afternoon with my Nikon 80-200 f2.8 and it was great, but it is fully manual.
Old February 14th, 2016, 04:39 AM   #13
Major Player

Now I might be wrong, but looking around the Net there seem to be three versions of the Metabones Nikon to Sony adapter. 1) The standard one without electronics, 2) The speedbooster version 3) A standard version, but also termed 'smart', with (I assume) electronics.

It's the third version I'm referring to. You can see it advertised here with reference to the smart features: Metabones Smart Adapter - Nikon G to Sony E (MB_NFG-E-BM1) - Wex Photographic

Look under the 'Further Details' tab.
Old February 14th, 2016, 06:35 AM   #14
Regular Crew

THE Nikon G to E mount Speed Booster ULTRA

"Remark: This mount is manual aperture control. It does NOT support electronic aperture control. "
Old February 14th, 2016, 07:36 AM   #15
Major Player

Hi Jeremy. I'm not sure which one of us is getting confused. It's probably me since I don't own any of the range and can only go by what's on the Net.

But from your last post you seem to be referring to the Speedbooster, which is option 2) in my former post. Here in the UK that costs circa £400.

I am referencing option 3) the standard Metabones Nikon to Sony adapter that it appears to have been given their 'smart' adapter' technology.

Quote on Metabones website: "Our new Smart AdapterTM series of products add industry-leading electronic interfacing technology from Canada, with true electronic control of the lens' aperture directly from the camera body."

Metabones®

This new smart version costs approx. £120, wheras the older non-smart version costs circa £90.

If I'm right you own the other two Metabones adapters, ie the original non-electronic and the Speedbooster non-electronic.

I don't think you own the smart/electronic version. So am I misunderstanding something and you know something about this smart version?
Nigel Davey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5