FS5 date and time reset? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old August 12th, 2016, 08:49 AM   #16
Tourist

Re: FS5 date and time reset?

I have this same problem of date and time reset when I insert a new battery even though that battery is an original Sony. When I went to the dealer and changed it for a pair of new Sony batteries, the problem has not recurred. It seems that even Sony original batteries can have this problem. Apparently some hand shake takes place when a new battery is inserted. And some error in the battery may cause the handshake to fail resulting in the date reset. So the first course of action is to try anothrr set of batteries.
Chuan Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2016, 02:45 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Odd error, obviously. I only use Swit batteries and new ones at that and I have had only one instance where the camera reset the date and time. Other than that, they have been rock solid. I do use the camera regularly, so perhaps it is related to the internal battery in the camera?
Old August 12th, 2016, 04:38 PM   #18
Major Player

Wouldn't it be more likely to be the internal battery? This is from the FS5 manual:

Tip
If you do not use your camcorder for about 2 months, the built-in rechargeable battery gets discharged and the date and time settings may be cleared from the memory. In that case, charge the rechargeable battery and then set the date and time again (p. 162)
Old August 13th, 2016, 05:13 AM   #19
Regular Crew

i have the same problem with sony batery bp-u60..reset date the camera
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 02:30 PM   #20
Tourist

My FS5 had the same issue. Not only date and time would reset, but also time-code, which was very frustrating.

I took my camera to an authorized Sony repair facility and they are replacing parts - I assume the internal memory component. Parts are currently on order. Hopefully this will resolve the issue once and for all.
Scot McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 05:41 PM   #21
Regular Crew

How did you make out? I'm having the same problem.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 03:47 PM   #22
Major Player

I just started having this issues ... after 9 months with the camera. Happens with Sony battery. No recent firmware updates. Just suddenly started resetting time / date the other day, and now happens everytime I remove battery to charge.

Any fixes? I'm a thousand dollar flight from Canada, where I bought the camera, and DHL would probably be similar in cost (an envelope sent to the US return is $100).

Thanks in advance.
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 04:30 PM   #23
Major Player

Not really a fix but... It seems to happen to me if the battery is at a hundred 100%. So when I alternate batteries and newly charged one has been in the bag for a day or two it doesn't reset, other than that, no idea.
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 11:53 AM   #24
Major Player

Ok thanks. I'll check to see if mine is doing the same thing.
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2019, 02:39 PM   #25
Tourist

Resurrecting this thread since it was a high search result on Google, we're having this issue with our older FS5 (purchased in 2017, but appears to be made in September 2016). Our newer one (purchased in 2018, made August 2018), doesn't appear to have the same issue. We only have Sony batteries purchased new. We are also having issues with getting the clock reset on startup.

We normally store the camera without batteries in there, and sometimes one of the cameras might not be used for months. I get the internal battery going dead then -- if it's a rechargeable type -- but we'll have it do it after several days. I've tried leaving a battery in, and that seems to circumvent the issue. It does seems to drain the removable, external batteries faster than I'm use to with other cameras.

I initially figured the internal battery would be a replaceable watch-style battery as I have seen in some cameras and other electronics that save settings and have a running clock, but it makes sense that manufacturers for cameras would go to a rechargeable battery. If I remember correctly, the C100s (at least the earlier ones) have a watch-style battery and I never had to redo the clock times unless it was dead, which seem to last for years.

Just curious how this has played out for folks and if any official news on it came out since the last post here.
Adam Keele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2019, 12:10 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I have an off brand BPU 90 and if I put it in the camera straight after charging I have to reset time and date but if I leave a day or so before putting it in the camera I don't have to do it. All my other off brand batteries of various smaller capacities are fine.
HTH
Patrick Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 07:27 PM   #27
New Boot

Owner here with the same problem. I've already send the FS5 for service under warranty for a problem I can't recall what for today. But I do know these cameras will drain the battery even powered off. This camera isn't a weekly or sometimes monthly workhorse. I'll have to set the date/time everytime I do use it though.
Johnson Liv is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5