Can't get my FS5 to connect via USB at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old February 26th, 2016, 08:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Can't get my FS5 to connect via USB

I'd be more excited about the new firmware if I could get my FS5 to connect. I've tried several cables, four Macs, and one Dell PC. It never gets past the LCD message "Mass Storage Preparing...USB AC adaptor recommended." The firmware updater never sees the camera. The computers never see the media as if I were going to transfer directly from the camera. In December when I upgraded from V1.10 I didn't have any problem connecting.
Old February 26th, 2016, 08:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Can't get my FS5 to connect via USB

Finally got it to work. Spotted a Logitech cable from my Universal Remote on the desk. Gave it a try on PC and heard it connect immediately. I guess there are some qualatative differences between different micro USB cables.
Old February 26th, 2016, 08:29 PM   #3
Trustee

Try dragging the Sony firmware app to your desktop and running it from there. I remember something about the Sony updater not working correctly if it was being run directly from the downloaded disk image.
Old February 27th, 2016, 01:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Berger View Post
Finally got it to work. Spotted a Logitech cable from my Universal Remote on the desk. Gave it a try on PC and heard it connect immediately. I guess there are some qualatative differences between different micro USB cables.
I believe you are correct about being a small difference in micro USB, the one I use worked fine but refused to come out of the camera without some very careful coaxing with a couple needles.
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2016, 06:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Use the USB cable that came with the camera.
Old February 27th, 2016, 06:22 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Interesting to read of these problems....

I used the Sony USB cable that came with the camera too when I updated mine to V1.11 yesterday.

However, it actually took two goes to get the cam to be recognised by my Mac Pro - as outlined on the Firmware V1.11 thread. Luckily, with a good firm push the second time it all connected.
Old February 27th, 2016, 06:30 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Cole View Post
Use the USB cable that came with the camera.
Thought about that. Couldn't find it. 😁 By the way, the update installed and all is well. Thanks everyone!
Old February 27th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
I used the Sony USB cable that came with the camera too when I updated mine to V1.11 yesterday.
Andy please keep us posted on your impressions of this latest update. Would also like to see if they have fixed the loss of focus issue with the 18-105 when using the camera handle servo zoom control. We find there is no problem if using the servo on the lens as the lens being parfocal will hold focus, but not when using the camera's servo.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 10:02 AM   #9
Major Player

How the heck do you know what cable came with the camera after 2 years?

I updated to firmware 4.0 a while back, but am having this connection problem trying to get to 4.0.2

I've tried over a half dozen cables and multiple computers. It is driving me nuts!

The PMHOME folder shows up on my desktop and the FS5 is listed as connected in my system preferences, but the Sony System Software Updater just does not see it.
Old October 18th, 2017, 02:03 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Yes, if you don't keep the cable with the camera, there is no way of knowing which cable came with the camera. That said, I have used other cables with success, so my suggestion would be to try another cable. Of course, you already have done that. My next suggestion would be to download the update again, since you can see the camera, just are not able to use the software updater. It could have gotten corrupted.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5