FS5 spareparts in London? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old April 1st, 2016, 10:38 AM   #1
Major Player

FS5 spareparts in London?

hi there!

I was just on a shoot with balls... Cams and balls don't mix really well in my experience and this time a ball hit the LCD screen from behind and broke the plastic that attaches the screen to the body... Very, very annoying... Does anybody know where to buy this plastic part in London? I need to sort it out asap. Working with the camera without the LCD screen is seriously painful...

Thank you.
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 03:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: FS5 spareparts in London?

Ouch! :-(

My suggestion is that you contact Sony Prime Support. The cam should have come with the necessary registration information when you bought it - did you register it?

That is likely to be the best (and fastest) way of getting it repaired, especially as its a new model and the spare part you need is unique to the FS5 (I think) and is likely to be very scarce...it may need to be supplied directly from the Sony manufacturing plant.

It sounds like it should not be too expensive if it is just the "LCD Screen Mounting Clamp" (labelled as item 3 in the diagram on Page 9 of the handbook...correct?) rather than the LCD itself.

Let us know how you get on - and good luck!
Old April 1st, 2016, 04:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

you could also consider getting the Zacuto loupe for the FS5... better connection, top plate and even a loupe, I think you are going to wait a good while and Sony is going to stick it to you on that little part.
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 11:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Andy!

Yes, that's the part. I'll try SONY but doubt the are open on the weekend. Do you have a good place to pic up your gear in London or do you get your supply of poison in Cambridge?

I might also look into Ray's solution, as now when spring is finally here, I've realised that to work with the LCD on bright days without a loup is really tricky.

Do you need an extra plate for the Zacuto though? That's not something I'd like to add to the set up...
Old April 2nd, 2016, 01:15 AM   #5
Major Player

I think you might find that your FS5 was made in Wales at the Sony factory there. Dunno whether this will make getting spares any easier or quicker.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2016, 05:13 AM   #6
Equal Opportunity Offender

If there is a chance that it was made at the factory there, why not just rock up with your broken camera and ask nicely if someone has a replacement part for it? It could be as easy as a worker recognising the part and grabbing one from a supply bin.

Do it on a human level and see how you go.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 07:19 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi there!

Nothing stores that carry the camera can do except for offering to handle the request for me (for the little sum of 55 GBP...)
Nothing open today so I\ll try to get hold of Sony support first thing tomorrow.

Showing up at the factory could be an idea but unfortunately Wales is a 4 hour (at least) train ride away so can't do that.

I'll let you know. I can hardly be the first that this happens to...
Old April 19th, 2016, 03:06 AM   #8
Major Player

Yeah so... SONY not really coming through here... You can't order the spare part yourself but must go through a dealer. I chose CVP in London and they told me that SONY asked for 5 days to see when the spare part could be delivered since they were out of stock...
Still haven't heard anything and still no spare part. (Note that you have to pay everything in advance to be able to make the order.)
Old April 22nd, 2016, 02:09 PM   #9
Major Player

Update.
SONY want until June to send the spare parts. That's really not acceptable for a company who claims that the have pro service for their pro products.
I mean, they could take that part off any camera they have lying around if they were taking my problem seriously.
Massively disappointed.

Last edited by Alfred Okocha; April 23rd, 2016 at 01:26 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2016, 01:26 AM   #10
Major Player

This is the part by the way that is so difficult to get sorted... So take care of it!
Attached Thumbnails
FS5 spareparts in London?-sony-fs5-5564.jpg  
Old April 23rd, 2016, 01:34 AM   #11
Equal Opportunity Offender

At this rate you might as well make enquiries in additional countries. Don't be surprised if there is a perfectly lonely example of the part you are after sitting in a warehouse within the supply chain for another country.

On the other hand, it may be a good idea to become friends with anyone who has a 3D printer and simply make your own.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 02:37 AM   #12
Inner Circle

If stuck, super glue does amazing things. I repaired my Steadicam sled on a 35mm film shoot in Kenya with it.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 05:11 AM   #13
Major Player

Dedicated 2 part plastic glue should do the job. Have to be careful with Superglue, it can melt some types of plastic. Do it right and it will be stronger than new.
Old April 23rd, 2016, 08:02 AM   #14
Major Player

Tried super glue, didn't work. Then I had to send the parts in since they weren't quite sure what the problem was (after having seen that very picture...) so, I don't even have those parts anymore.
Old May 9th, 2016, 12:12 PM   #15
Major Player

Was there a final outcome to this?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5