FS5 - v2.0 update rumour - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old April 18th, 2016, 11:17 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: FS5 - v2.0 update rumour

And as mentioned further up, this auto ND update will provide practical dumb lens (no electronics) AE outside where we didn't have it before. Great news for someone like me with Nikon glass and no way, until now, to acquire AE outside on the FS5. Inside I will reluctantly use auto ISO.
Old April 18th, 2016, 11:19 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I shot my last wedding with a fixed f-stop of f2.8 all day on my jvc in fast changing light conditions as well and during run and gun I let the camera handle the iso, the only thing I needed to do was to select a right ND and compensate exposure with the EV linked to the iris dial. The only thing the fs5 does extra is that the ND is automated as well which will allow locking the ISO but nothing that will influence the image quality, if you need to use the ND the iso will be in the lowest regions anyway. I don't see this as a big step forward, it just is more convenient to use because it's one less step you need to deal with yourself. That is at least from how I understand this automatic ND works on the fs5. Then it still remains to be seen how fluid the ND changes are.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 11:30 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Davey View Post
And as mentioned further up, this auto ND update will provide practical dumb lens (no electronics) AE outside where we didn't have it before. Great news for someone like me with Nikon glass and no way, until now, to acquire AE outside on the FS5. Inside I will reluctantly use auto ISO.
If you shoot with a "dumb" lens and let the camera handle the ND automatically, is there a way to adjust exposure if you want to shoot at a fixed f-stop but if your camera under- or overexposes?
Old April 18th, 2016, 11:38 AM   #19
Major Player

I guess it comes down to what you feel is acceptable. I have always considered ISO/db gain as the last resort and find it significantly impacts grading, particularly on poorer codecs.

I suspect the auto ND will be quite smooth. I already use the FS5's variable ND on the fly for outdoor shooting and I can't notice the difference over auto iris.
Old April 18th, 2016, 11:46 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
If you shoot with a "dumb" lens and let the camera handle the ND automatically, is there a way to adjust exposure if you want to shoot at a fixed f-stop but if your camera under- or overexposes?
Generally speaking auto ISO on the FS5 is your best bet to get any form of AE on a dumb lens, other than auto shutter, which I wouldn't use for obvious reasons.

However AE shift can be used to adjust under/over exposure as long as either of the above are in auto. I assume auto ND will also be part of the AE shift equation. Sadly you can't give preference to where the AE shift compensation comes from at present unless you limit it to just one thing in auto.

Last edited by Nigel Davey; April 18th, 2016 at 12:18 PM.
Nigel Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 12:09 PM   #21
Inner Circle

It should be possible since my jvc can do that, might be just a firmware update to assign the ev to a dial.
Old April 18th, 2016, 12:37 PM   #22
Space Hipster

Re: FS5 - V2.0 and V2.1 Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Here are some details about what Sony announced yesterday for the FS5.

Now I know why they put an XDCAM logo on the side of my FS5 ...but I don't think I'll be paying for that option! My PMW-300 also got a minor firmware update announced too.

I just sold my PMW-300. I really like XDCAM being available for my FS5. It's still a much requested codec from many of my broadcast clients.
They don't care for 4K at all.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5