FS5 - v2.0 update rumour at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old April 2nd, 2016, 05:17 PM   #1
Major Player

FS5 - v2.0 update rumour

Hope it's true: Sony FS5 Firmware 2.0 Details Leaked? 4K/60p RAW and Auto ND Coming in May | 4K Shooters
Old April 2nd, 2016, 11:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: FS5 - v2.0 update rumour

That would be an amazing update. However I'd still prefer Sony to fix the manual focus issues with the kit lens first.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 02:17 AM   #3
Major Player

True. But auto-ND would make life easier for me when using my Nikon glass via an adaptor, ie I currently lose auto iris and thus a chunk of AE . I know auto iris/AE is a cardinal sin in many scenarios, but it's useful for run-and-gun.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 04:25 AM   #4
Major Player

That's a good point - auto ND will be very useful. Auto exposure has its place.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2016, 12:08 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I'm more interested in the 60p. They should sweeten the deal with true 4096 4K through RAW only. (like the FS700)

Last edited by Jack Zhang; April 4th, 2016 at 02:17 AM.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2016, 02:19 AM   #6
Major Player

I was curious whether the CineAlta post on FB was a late April fools joke. For example the FB account is registered to a user in Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam.

So I contacted them directly to ask if it was an April fools joke. They responded claiming the information is correct.

But of course they might be tempted to say that…or it might be correct. I guess time will tell.
Old April 4th, 2016, 08:28 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Arnott View Post
That would be an amazing update. However I'd still prefer Sony to fix the manual focus issues with the kit lens first.
Don't hold your breath, its not just the 18-105, every single E mount lens ever made other than the 28-135 has focus issues making them useless to pull focus. The focus is speed sensitive with no way of ever knowing id a slight turn of the ring will move you a few feet or a hundred. really sucks because they are wire driven so its nothing more than a firmware change to make them consistent and could easily give them a really long throw
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 06:25 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Re: FS5 - V2.0 and V2.1 Details

Here are some details about what Sony announced yesterday for the FS5.

Source 4K Shooters:

1. Sony FS5 Firmware Update v2.0 – May, 2016 / Cost: Free

AUTO ND: Electrical Variable ND filter can automatically keep the best exposure while keeping the aperture and depth of field.
GPS function is activated
Expanded Zebra – two zebra points can be switched swiftly.

2. FS5 RAW Upgrade Option (CBKZ-FS5RIF: Available in May, 2016) – Cost: 500 Euros / $600

4K 60p/50p Raw
Continuous 240fps/200fps FHD Output in Raw
Sony’s FS RAW allows user to record 4K (QFHD) 60p/50p and continuous FHD 240fps/200fps on an external recorder.

2.1. Sony FS5 and PXW-X70 can also get an optional 1080p MPEG2 422 50Mbps codec for integration with broadcast workflows and documentary productions. The firmware will be paid cost around 500 Euros and be available in Late May 2016.

Now I know why they put an XDCAM logo on the side of my FS5 ...but I don't think I'll be paying for that option! My PMW-300 also got a minor firmware update announced too.
Old April 18th, 2016, 09:53 AM   #9
Major Player

That's great, particularly the auto ND. If it works how I hope it will, it is going to be a big step forward for shooting and creativity. For outdoor run-and-gun work imagine setting your iris at f2.8 and then not having to fiddle with anything confident the exposure will always/mostly be correct. It will certainly speed up some shooting scenarios and be a godsend for something like weddings where you can't ask everyone to pause as you correct your exposure.

Re the MPEG2, what I am keen to know is how much better/quicker this will edit in something like Premiere over XAVC-L? If it speeds up rendering (or lack of it) and exporting even by 20%, in could pay for itself quite quickly on bigger jobs.
Old April 18th, 2016, 09:55 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Your 'speed of editing' point is a good one - had not thought about it like that.
Old April 18th, 2016, 10:03 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Davey View Post
For outdoor work imagine setting your iris at f2.8 and then not having to fiddle with anything confident the exposure will always/mostly be correct
Isn't that not the same as selecting a fixed ND stop and letting the camera adjust the iso automatically? If I understand it right with auto nd you are basically letting the camera handle exposure automatically? Not sure if that can be considered a advantage because any stronger backlight like the sun will cause a wrong exposure anyway. This rather would mean that your exposure will always/mostly be "in"correct, no?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 10:40 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Isn't that not the same as selecting a fixed ND stop and letting the camera adjust the iso automatically? If I understand it right with auto nd you are basically letting the camera handle exposure automatically? Not sure if that can be considered a advantage because any stronger backlight like the sun will cause a wrong exposure anyway. This rather would mean that your exposure will always/mostly be "in"correct, no?
But on brighter days your ISO will reside at it's minimum and thus AE would normally operate via the Iris.
Old April 18th, 2016, 10:44 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
I'm more interested in the 60p. They should sweeten the deal with true 4096 4K through RAW only. (like the FS700)
Not really interested in RAW but would like UHD 60P internal to U3 SDXC cards 8bit 4:2:0 is fine for me. Would be the replacement for my FDR-AX1 I am waiting for !!! Are there any external recorders that will record 60P RAW UHD ?

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 10:45 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Davey View Post
But on brighter days your ISO will reside at it's minimum and thus AE would normally operate via the Iris.
But if you manually select a 1/64 ND stop or let the camera do it for you, what difference will it make?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 11:01 AM   #15
Major Player

At the weekend a had to shoot a scenario in a garden with a family playing cricket. Time was limited so I had to get a variety of shots ASAP. Some with lots of sky, some close up on faces, etc. If I wanted maximum available shallow DOF for all of these shots it would have taken time to keep adjusting the FS5's variable ND to get the correct aperture to maintain the shallow DOF. Obviously I wouldn't want to flick in a preset ND, like 1/64 and let ISO compensate the exposure, because then I'm giving away quality to ISO when I don't need to. So that's the point I am making, for things like weddings, outdoor run-n-gun, etc, where you want to maintain a consistent aperture, this is a big step forward.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5