Just pulled the trigger on the FS7K at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old April 3rd, 2016, 12:46 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Just pulled the trigger on the FS7K

Hello,

As the header implies. I have a question: are there any LUT packages specifically for the FS7 to be downloaded somewhere for use with Catalyst, Vegas Pro and Resolve - or do I need to rely on general Sony Slog ones? In Vegas, there are 3D Luts defined for F5/F55, but not for FS7. In Resolve, it's just the "Sony" category. Do I really need something Sony FS7-specific for best results?

Thanks

Piotr
Old April 4th, 2016, 10:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Just pulled the trigger on the FS7K

I use these: Bert Degraeve | Cameraman DoP | Gent

This will give you a nice starting point for your grade. I find it very effective for skin tones.
Brian Bechard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 08:48 AM   #3
Inner Circle

For those FS7K owners who are using the SELP28-135 lens: I realized the camera bottom and the lens leg are actually level and flush, so I just used the long Manfrotto plate and supported the two. Do yo think they (camera and lens) have been designed for the 2 surfaces I'm supporting to actually be at exactly the same level, and by doing so I'm not stressing the E-mount? I didn't fix the lens foot with any screw, so if there is any tension it only be acting upwards on the lens - but of course I wouldn't like that to replace the downward tension from the lens weight, acting on it when without any support... Please share your thoughts!

Of course, this is just a temporary measure before I get a rail system with a proper adjustable lens support....
Attached Thumbnails
Just pulled the trigger on the FS7K-general.jpg   Just pulled the trigger on the FS7K-detail.jpg  

Old April 8th, 2016, 11:02 AM   #4
Major Player

On one hand a very impressive discovery! I have no doubt that this will help stabilize the lens mount.

However...

In looking at the lens and the location of the support 'foot' it's also obvious that most of the weight of the lens is out in front of where the support mounts on the lens, so in reality not that much of the lens weight is being supported. Thus your indication that you will be moving to a more traditional lens support system is definitely a good idea.

I find the lens collar support particularly useful when a small camera (such as the A7s) is mounted on the lens -- and then I attach the foot to a tripod or monopod mount.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 11:14 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dave,

This certainly is a temporary solution, but I don't think the problem is the lens is supported too close to the camera; my doubt is whether by doing this, I'm not applying an upward force on the lens, thus flexing the camera E-mount...
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 07:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

pretty slick (simple) discovery LOL as long as the plate has no flex its bomb proof and I can't imagine it has any especially at that short length. I also had concerns I am putting just as much upward pressure on the lens mount when using some of the "screw" into place lens supports so for smaller lenses (without a lens foot or when I need 15mm rods) I am going to use the Zacuto that will thread into the bottom of the Metabones adapter

The exact same idea for really large lenses set me back about $400 US, admittedly worth it as its huge relief knowing I wont damage another Sony lens mount. and its adjustable... just keep in mind any hight increase is going to increase the load on the fluid head a fair amount.
Attached Thumbnails
Just pulled the trigger on the FS7K-rlb_1346.jpg  
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 11:27 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Ray for your comment.

I have an FS7 noob question: what capacity/speed SD cards do you guys usually use as the Utility card? I guess user files can grow in size, but each is probably entry (like Scene Files, etc.) are probably rather small; also I don't think the card speed is important... Please tell me what a reasonable minimum is.TIA

Piotr

Another noob question: when shooting from tripod, I'd definitely like to use an external monitor. Please tell me whether the FS7 is able to output things like peaking, zebra etc? I have a Marshall monitor whose peaking is not adjustable, and shows on every contrasty edge in the picture - really useless, so if I cannot use the camera's own tools (for focus and exposure), I'll have to buy a new one....
Old April 9th, 2016, 07:31 AM   #8
Inner Circle

OK, please bear it with me and my silly question (I did RTFM, but didn't find it): when is the Active SteadyShot mode available? I have it greyed out in my camera menu... TIA,

Piotr
Old April 9th, 2016, 11:16 AM   #9
Sponsor: Westside AV

Only when you have a lens that supports it, most don't. I know the old 18-200 from the FS700 had that, it is the only one I have that does, and I have dozens of Sony and Canon etc lenses. Most lenses only have standard steadyshot.
Old April 9th, 2016, 11:46 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Yes Olof - I found an official confirmation here:

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...-function%253F

Piotr

PS. BTW, the Active OSS was the only real virtue of one of those lenses (I had it with my FS100). Other than that, a constant fight for focus, severe aperture ramping etc. But I can't comprehend one thing: if Sony has this Active OSS technology why did they only implement it in their lower-end lenses, and not in something like the SELP 28-135?

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; April 9th, 2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old April 11th, 2016, 12:11 AM   #11
Inner Circle

My next newby question:

With 8 channels of audio required by XAVC codec specs, and 4 channels actually available for recording on the FS7 - do the audio channels steal bandwidth from video, so that the sum equals to the max datarates of various recording modes on this camera? And if so, does it matter whether say just 2 audio channels are used or 3, or all 4? In other words: if an audio channels 3 & 4 are not used, are they filled with "empty" bits (padded), or are they empty - thus releasing more bandwidth to the video signal?
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5