FS5 + Ronin-M at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old April 11th, 2016, 05:25 AM   #1
Major Player

FS5 + Ronin-M

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any luck using their FS5 with a DJI Ronin-M. Is it too big? What lenses work? Any samples of the results?

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
Jody
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 09:14 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: FS5 + Ronin-M

hey jody --
i've used it with the sony pancake wide angle (w/ adapter), & a samsung 12mm,
both worked great.
i love being able to take off the lcd & put it on the ronin, saves having to buy a separate monitor!
i'll try & put up some sample footage soon.....
Theo Dilworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 02:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Dilworth View Post
hey jody --
i've used it with the sony pancake wide angle (w/ adapter), & a samsung 12mm,
both worked great.
i love being able to take off the lcd & put it on the ronin, saves having to buy a separate monitor!
i'll try & put up some sample footage soon.....
Thanks for that Theo. Where on the Ronin did you mount the LCD? Did you use some sort of grip?

I just picked up the Ronin-M and I'm finding it very difficult to balance with the stock lens - I think it's just too big. So I might pick up a pancake lens of some sort.

Good to know it can be done! I'm just flying with my 70D at the moment.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 02:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

i use FS5+10-18 sony,is perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Arnott View Post
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any luck using their FS5 with a DJI Ronin-M. Is it too big? What lenses work? Any samples of the results?

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
Jody
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 01:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I do not own the 18-105 but I think I read (can't find it now) you may need the the BP-U60 battery the 30 is a bit light and that set up needs some counter weight for perfect balance. I will post pics of the Sony LCD mounted to the Ronin M latter, I used the overpriced DJI bar mount because I may also want to mount the Shogun at some point and didn't want to cheap out

also its your first time balancing a gimbal you may just need some practice... its awkward at first then all the sudden starts taking a couple minutes is all.

Quote:
Thanks for that Theo. Where on the Ronin did you mount the LCD? Did you use some sort of grip?

I just picked up the Ronin-M and I'm finding it very difficult to balance with the stock lens - I think it's just too big. So I might pick up a pancake lens of some sort.

Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 09:25 AM   #6
New Boot

Quote:

hey jody --
i cobbled a mount together on the crossbar using this guy:
http://www.amazon.com/Release-Handle...ilpage_o09_s00
(took off the upper gopro mount & epoxied a 1/4" nut onto it to screw the lcd mount into it)....
& ray's suggestion on using different sized batteries to counterbalance is right on the money as well.
hope this helps!
Theo Dilworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 10:02 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I've been using the fs5 + ronin m with the sony zeiss 16-35. It works pretty decently with with AF and an f-stop of f8. I have the camera completely striped down and also a manfroto quick release system. Minimum f4 for lowlight leaves a little to be desired though, I'm looking for something faster with a good hyper focal distance. The canon 11-24+ speedbooster looks interesting but very expensive at $3k.
Alexandru Cristescu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5