Sony FS5 Firmware Announcement at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old April 18th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony FS5 Firmware Announcement

From B&H today
"Not satisfied with just the debut of a new 4K camera, Sony announced a major firmware update for the popular Sony PXW-FS5 camcorder. With this firmware update, FS5 owners can pay $600 to unlock raw output from the SDI spigot. Combined with compatible external recorders such as the Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q+ or Atomos Shogun, which can record or interpret the FS5 raw stream, very high-quality 4K footage can be recorded at up to 60 fps. Continuous high-speed 2K output is also enabled, for raw recording at up to 240 fps. A free benefit of the new firmware update includes the ability to have the camera automatically control exposure via the internal stepless electronic ND filter."
Scroll down for FS5 Info.
NAB 2016: the Latest Broadcast Gear You Need to Know About | explora
Old April 21st, 2016, 12:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sony FS5 Firmware Announcement

I'm a bit confused. Is the $600 required for this firmware upgrade, or is it required only for the raw feature?
Tom Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 01:27 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gresham View Post
Is the $600 required for this firmware upgrade, or is it required only for the raw feature?
All of those framerates are only available via the raw spigot.

Then, right at the end, it explicitly states, "A free benefit.." So you install the update, you get the exposure control. You purchase the key to unlock raw, you get 60p in 4K and 240p in 2K. Clear?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 02:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

About the only part of that upgrade that interest me at this point is automatic ND.
Tom Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 02:24 PM   #5
Major Player

When I first heard they were planning on charging for an upgrade I assumed it was a back to the factory job, not the case of them simply withholding a feature unless you stump up some cash.

Thankfully I don't see any need for RAW.

Perhaps they might like to get the GPS working, after all it's not like they stuck a huge logo on the handle of a camera that hasn't offered any such feature in the 6 months its been out.
Old April 21st, 2016, 03:22 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gresham View Post
I'm a bit confused. Is the $600 required for this firmware upgrade, or is it required only for the raw feature?
I imagine the $600 is separate.
Old April 21st, 2016, 03:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I would assume the Shogun can (will) only do the UHD/4K at 30p RAW to ProRes.... looking like they moved on to other products without completing the Shogun.
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 07:09 PM   #8
Major Player

The B&H quote above says we can do 4k UHD at 60fps using the Atmos Shogun, but the Atmos guy in this video says that the Shogun can't to 60p in 4k. Only the Inferno will do that, coming out in July.

This video is really interesting about how the Shogun helps to get great HDR footage. I'm just not sure how 60p will work with our RAW upgrade.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5