Rigging the FS7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old April 21st, 2016, 03:14 AM   #1
Major Player

Rigging the FS7

I'm thinking of using V-mount batteries for extended handheld work. Any tips on mount plates and batteries? I was looking at the Tilta or Swit plate and Swit batteries. (I have never used V-mount before)

Right now I use an old Tekkeon battery attached to a cheeseplate on the rear rods behind the camera to power my Zylight Z90 on-camera light. Sort of the same construction as having a V-mount and it does balance the camera much better.

I was also thinking about selling my Sennheiser EW100 G3 set and getting the Sony wireless set but then I couldn't mount my cameralight on the hotshoe anymore... How do people solve this?

Walking around for 7 hours with a fully decked out FS7 is quite the workout. I can highly recommend a rod/belt camera support. I bought a Chinese one on eBay for 45 bucks- which is quite nice for the money but I just ordered the real thing from DVtec for 300- more robust and quiet.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 09:37 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Rigging the FS7

No tips on using V-mount on the FS7? Any lousy old tip will do...
Old April 22nd, 2016, 12:14 PM   #3
Vortex Media

Here's a tip, but I preditct you're going to say it's too expensive: Get the XDCA adapter and turn your FS7 into a complete broadcast camera with V-lock mount, timecode in/out, 12v power connector, RAW output, ProRes internal recording, better balance on the shoulder, etc. For $2K it is a great deal but I think you are looking for something in the $50 range, right?
Old April 22nd, 2016, 12:35 PM   #4
Major Player

The FS7's I normally shoot with are rigged with the XDCA adapter and use Brick Batteries. Since we normally shoot with 2 or more cameras and record audio separately as well, time code synching was an important feature. (I don't think we've ever actually been asked to record to prores...) But one thing became immediately obvious with that configuration -- the camera was back-heavy when placed on a tripod (the small Sachtlers such as DV8 we use when travelling couldn't adjust far enough) so the cameras needed to get VCT plate adapters for tripod balance.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Major Player

I was going to suggest looking at a v-mount that can be doubled-up, piggy-back style. I believe Olof Ekbergh on this forum said he used that kind of set-up but I could find neither the post nor any battery fitting that description in the B&H inventory. I use an IDX v-mount which has two d-taps and a battery charge indicator. It does the job, but I wish I'd had the kind Olof has so I could get the extra weight benefit back there when shooting with heavier lenses, like the 70-200 f/2.8. Anybody else know what I'm talking about with this battery that can have another v-mount attached to it? I know it can be done with some rods sticking out the back, but I like a faster breakdown and stow away config.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 01:01 PM   #6
Major Player

Do you mean like the stackable IDX E-HL9 batteries?
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 01:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Right, thanks!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/632840-REG/IDX_E_HL9_E_HL9_Lithium_Ion_V_Mount.html
Looks like it would let you run all day with the 7Q+ or other accessories.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 02:33 PM   #8
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
I was going to suggest looking at a v-mount that can be doubled-up, piggy-back style. I believe Olof Ekbergh on this forum said he used that kind of set-up but I could find neither the post nor any battery fitting that description in the B&H inventory. I use an IDX v-mount which has two d-taps and a battery charge indicator. It does the job, but I wish I'd had the kind Olof has so I could get the extra weight benefit back there when shooting with heavier lenses, like the 70-200 f/2.8. Anybody else know what I'm talking about with this battery that can have another v-mount attached to it? I know it can be done with some rods sticking out the back, but I like a faster breakdown and stow away config.

Mark
I have a couple solutions for IDX or AB (GoldMount) plates on this page:

Sony FS7 shoulder brace
Attached Thumbnails
Rigging the FS7-fs7profile.jpg   Rigging the FS7-fs7rearcheese1.jpg  

Old April 23rd, 2016, 03:31 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Here's a tip, but I preditct you're going to say it's too expensive: Get the XDCA adapter and turn your FS7 into a complete broadcast camera with V-lock mount, timecode in/out, 12v power connector, RAW output, ProRes internal recording, better balance on the shoulder, etc. For $2K it is a great deal but I think you are looking for something in the $50 range, right?
Is it that obvious I'm a bum or were you just having an off-day..?

I really don't need all the extra's the XDCA offers- I'm just looking for a way to power my camera/on-camera light and balance the camera better. If I can manage to accomplish that for around 1000,- , why spend an extra 1000,- on functionality I don't need? But maybe I'm being shortsighted.
Old April 23rd, 2016, 08:05 AM   #10
Vortex Media

Sorry if my comments came across the wrong way, but you did mention using Chinese products that were cheaply priced. I think the XDCA is well worth the money for all the reasons I mentioned above. Just being able to sync timecode with another camera, or record ProRes natively, might make the difference between getting a gig someday or not getting it. Plus, the XDCA increases the resale value of the camera later on down the road when you sell it so you'll get most of that $2K investment back anyway.

BTW, my prediction was true, wasn't it? :-)
Old April 23rd, 2016, 09:58 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Sorry if my comments came across the wrong way, but you did mention using Chinese products that were cheaply priced. I think the XDCA is well worth the money for all the reasons I mentioned above. Just being able to sync timecode with another camera, or record ProRes natively, might make the difference between getting a gig someday or not getting it. Plus, the XDCA increases the resale value of the camera later on down the road when you sell it so you'll get most of that $2K investment back anyway.

BTW, my prediction was true, wasn't it? :-)
It's not too expensive if you would use all those extra's.... but merely for a power/balancing solution, it's overkill... so yes and no on your prediction ;-)

Since I bought the FS7 I've been spending like crazy... And I need to spend more: a new tripod system, the 28-135 lens?, V-mount and/or the XDCA, a monitor...Choices, priorities...

Once in a while I like to gamble small amounts on eBay. (and I have to say I rarely get disappointed) Even this cheapo rod/belt support works fine (after 4 seven-hour days of walking around with the FS7). If it weren't for the slight squeaky sound the springs inside make, I probably wouldn't have looked at anything else. Untill it broke ;-)

I understand your impatience with people not wanting to spend money AND wanting quality. But in this case there are more scenarios. I am also a rare breed. I don't do studiowork or multi-camera shoots. I just do feature documentary and one man band assignments.

Just curious: have you ever been asked to shoot RAW? What do you think of it? Compared to SLOG?
Old April 23rd, 2016, 05:21 PM   #12
Vortex Media

RAW on the FS7? No, it's too much hassle for a camera that isn't really designed for it. Plus it's only 12-bit. I doubt that you would see very much difference between S-LOG and RAW, but I can't say that I have ever done the testing to prove it.

RAW on the F55? Yes, about 50% of the time I'm shooting RAW, 40% S-LOG, and 10% Custom Scene File.

Is there a big difference between S-LOG and RAW on my F55? Not a huge difference, but it is definitely there. I find that it is a little easier to grade RAW than S-LOG. I mostly shoot RAW to future proof my footage and not because it provides a huge benefit today. In fact, at NAB this year the big buzz was all about HDR. Well, even though I didn't realize it while I was shooting it, all the hours and hours of RAW stock footage I have acquired over the last 2.5 years can now be re-purposed for HDR if HDR really does take off and there is a demand for it. That could be a huge benefit to my earnings -- with very little effort.
Old April 24th, 2016, 05:47 AM   #13
Major Player

Thanks for the info. I figured I would probably never shoot RAW with the FS7...

@Olof I looked at your FS7 cheeseplate with batteryplate and you offer specific batteryplates for IDX or AB.
But a plate like the Tilta for the FS7 has universal batteryplates, I assume. So why would one need a battery-specific plate?

One big advantage of your design however, is that you can slide the battery back and forth for balance.
Old April 24th, 2016, 08:59 AM   #14
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen Wolf View Post
Thanks for the info. I figured I would probably never shoot RAW with the FS7...

@Olof I looked at your FS7 cheeseplate with batteryplate and you offer specific batteryplates for IDX or AB.
But a plate like the Tilta for the FS7 has universal batteryplates, I assume. So why would one need a battery-specific plate?

One big advantage of your design however, is that you can slide the battery back and forth for balance.
Yes you can even lay the battery flat or invert it so the bricks low for even better balance, though this makes it a little awkward to put down.

There are 2 types of plates Goldmounts, I use AB plates for those, and V-mount I use IDX for those. These are all very high quality plates I have used for many years, some Chinese knockoffs are really bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Rigging the FS7-7batt1.jpg   Rigging the FS7-7batt2.jpg  

Rigging the FS7-7batt3.jpg  
Old April 24th, 2016, 11:07 AM   #15
Major Player

Thanks for responding, Olof but it's still not really clear. Do you mean to say V-mount is one standard for all and that AB has their own mount?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5