59.94 footage plays slow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old May 16th, 2016, 02:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

59.94 footage plays slow

HI,

I've acquired the footage from my second shooter shot on FS5, and FPS is 59.94. I've placed the footage on sequence that has 59.94 timebase in Premiere and it plays slow. Anybody know why it plays slow?
John H. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 04:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 59.94 footage plays slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. Lee View Post
I've acquired the footage from my second shooter shot on FS5, and FPS is 59.94. I've placed the footage on sequence that has 59.94 timebase in Premiere and it plays slow. Anybody know why it plays slow?
What is your OS? Mac or Windows? What version of Premiere? What kind of specs does your editing system have? What is the drive where this footage is currently residing? What do you mean by slow? Is it in slow motion or is it dropping frames?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 06:38 AM   #3
Major Player

I don't why it plays too slow, but it has to be a fps thing, so here is how to check and fix it:

Click on file in bin and look at the mentioned fps in the properties.
If it is the incorrect fps: interpret footage to make it play correctly.

right click on clip -> modify -> interpret footage: set to right fps
Old May 17th, 2016, 08:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
What is your OS? Mac or Windows? What version of Premiere? What kind of specs does your editing system have? What is the drive where this footage is currently residing? What do you mean by slow? Is it in slow motion or is it dropping frames?
I'm running premiere pro cc 2015 on mac. The footage plays like in slo-mo. My 120fps footages plays in normal speed on 23.976 timeline, and it plays in slo-mo when the footage is interpreted as 23.976. But this 59.94 footage plays like a slo-mo in 59.94 timeline. When I speed up the footage around 200%, then it plays close to the normal speed (but not quite right and jerky)

Does FS5 have a setting to record in this way? I read through the manual of FS5 but I couldn't find menu for this way of recording.
Old May 17th, 2016, 08:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Brokx View Post
I don't why it plays too slow, but it has to be a fps thing, so here is how to check and fix it:

Click on file in bin and look at the mentioned fps in the properties.
If it is the incorrect fps: interpret footage to make it play correctly.

right click on clip -> modify -> interpret footage: set to right fps
Thanks for your help. For my understanding, the footage should play in normal speed when the timeline base is same as the footage's fps. In premiere pro (cc 2015) , even my 120fps plays in normal speed on 23.976 sequence ( I believe it drops the frame) , and it plays in slo-mo when I interpreted the footage to 23.976. For this 59.94 footage, it play in slo-mo on 59.94 sequence.

The footage is MXF file, AVC Long gop, 59.94fps 1080P, 10bit 422.
Old May 17th, 2016, 12:31 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Have you tried interpreting the footage to 59.94? If you want full speed 60p, you need to shoot in the 60p mode on the FS5, not use S&Q mode.
Old May 17th, 2016, 08:28 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The footage is 59.94, so no need to interpret to other frame rate. What is S&Q mode in FS5? i don't have this camera (I got this footages from my second shooter) so I'm not too knowledgeable about this camera. Thanks in advance.
Old May 17th, 2016, 08:30 PM   #8
Inner Circle

So you have verified the settings under the "Intrepret Footage" option? Can you take a screenshot of that window and post it?
Old May 18th, 2016, 08:31 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I sorta figure this out after reading the manual of FS5. It looks like , when you turn on S&Q mode , the play rate is baked into the file. So frame rate is selected as 59.94, and rec. format seems to be selected as 29.97 thus play the file in slow mo. ( No audio was recorded. I noticed audio is only recorded when frame rate selection is same as rec. format.)
Old May 18th, 2016, 08:31 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
It looks like , when you turn on S&Q mode , the play rate is baked into the file. So frame rate is selected as 59.94, and rec. format seems to be selected as 29.97 thus play the file in slow mo.
So what does your Interpret Footage window say?
Old May 18th, 2016, 09:04 AM   #11
Vortex Media

Quote:
I sorta figure this out after reading the manual of FS5. It looks like , when you turn on S&Q mode , the play rate is baked into the file. So frame rate is selected as 59.94, and rec. format seems to be selected as 29.97 thus play the file in slow mo. ( No audio was recorded. I noticed audio is only recorded when frame rate selection is same as rec. format.)
Sounds like you have it figured out now.

Just to be clear on the terminology for future reference, it is not 59.94 footage. It is 29.97 footage and was recorded at 60 fps using S&Q Motion.

Edit: One more thought for future reference . . . if you actually wanted 59.94 footage for your edit (with sound and normal playback speed), your second shooter could have setup his camera that way to do it -- but not using the S&Q Motion mode.

Last edited by Doug Jensen; May 18th, 2016 at 09:37 AM.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 03:01 PM   #12
Major Player

Looks like the mystery is solved :-)
Right?
Old May 19th, 2016, 04:21 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
But this 59.94 footage plays like a slo-mo in 59.94 timeline. When I speed up the footage around 200%, then it plays close to the normal speed (but not quite right and jerky)

Does FS5 have a setting to record in this way?
Yes.When using the S & Q mode on the FS5 or FS700, the footage is recorded in a 60p stream when shooting at 120fps or 240fps.

Sony first implemented this feature to a) made sure the recorded files complied to the AVCHD specs when they debuted the super-slow-motion mode on the FS700; and b) because the hardware in the camera was not capable of recording that much data in real time, so it saves it to the buffer then writes it out to the card at a slower speed. The cameras also forego sound recording in this mode.

Whether or not these technical hurdles actually still exist, or if it is a market segmentation decision, the FS5 retains the same slow-motion mode as it's predecessor. So if you've got a file with no sound which plays back in slow motion by default, me guess is it has been recorded in the slow motion mode on the FS5.

You say it plays back close to correct, but jerky, at 200%. I'd put the jerkiness down to your PC which might be struggling to read and decode the footage twice as fast as normal - and suggest that the footage was probably shot at 120fps.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 06:26 AM   #14
Vortex Media

John,

I don't have time this morning to address them all in detail, but there are a number of mistatements and incorrect assumptions in your post. For one thing, you seem unaware that the camera has two slow-motion modes: S&Q Motion and Super Slow Motion. They work very differently from each other. One is a "burst" mode and one is not. Also, slow-motion doesn't have to be recorded in a 59.95 stream, it could also be 23.98, 29.97, 25, 50, etc.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5