Lens for my FS7 to compliment the kit 28-135 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old May 21st, 2016, 02:26 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Lens for my FS7 to compliment the kit 28-135

I've been doing quite a research recently - difficult decisions as I'm new to all these options. First of all, what the situation now is: I find the Sony FS7 kit lens quite good actually - but with its bulkiness, limited F4 aperture and wide end FOV, I'll mainly use it for shooting from a tripod, and in a good light (outdoors).For other situations, I need a compact, stabilized (my shaky hands :-( ), wide angle and fast zoom, so I've been debating between two solutions:

1. The cheap one: Sigma 17-50 F2.8 with the Commlite adapter
2. The much more expensive one: Canon 16-35mm F4.0L IS HSM with Speed Booster Ultra

For many reasons, I think I'll go with solution 2. But I also have a question for you guys:

Just out of curiosity: when browsing Metabones site, I found this:

Metabones®

This is another Canon to E-mount adapter, but for FD lenses. Now, I have a couple of nice vintage FD lenses (17mm F3.5, super-sharp 50mm F1.4, and parfocal 35-105mm F3.5 zoom). But being very old, they are all-manual, with aperture ring etc. and no electrical connectors. However, in the adapter description on that page, it reads:

"True electronic integration of aperture diaphragm - let camera automatically choose aperture in P or S exposure modes, or dial in yourself on the camera body in A or M modes.
EXIF data such as lens identification, focal length and aperture."

My question is: are there FD mount Canon lenses with aperture controlled electronically from the camera (which the above would suggest), and my mechanical stills lenses will not fit - or is the above excerpt from Metabones site just a general description of their Speed Booster line capabilities? On the said adapter photos, I can't see any electrical connections which would suggest my vintage FD lenses would be compatible - with all manual controls, but 1 stop faster and 0.7x wider. Which would be nice!

Can anyone confirm? TIA

Piotr
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 10:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Lens for my FS7 to compliment the kit 28-135

Anyone, please?

Piotr
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5