FS5 in a gimbal: bottlenecks? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old June 5th, 2016, 09:30 AM   #1
Major Player

FS5 in a gimbal: bottlenecks?

Today a friend came by, as he had some time left with a rented FS5, so we could do a test run in a MoVI M5.

To be able to fly in the cage, we stripped the camera, so we only had the body and the lens.
I connected an external monitor through HDMI, but found a few strange things or we overlooked some things:

we could get zebra and peaking from the camera to the screen, but we couldn't get more info on the monitor than the timecode.
This means we were unable to see camerasettings and unable to navigate through the menu.
Did we overlook something in the little time we had for our test?

Another thing that seemed a bit weird it that we could control iris, zoom and rec through the app, but not the variable ND. That doesn't have to be a problem, but manually it seemed not to respond to the dial either. (With the corrrect settings on the body.)

This was just a short test, so we could have overlooked some things.
Actually, I hope we overlooked them, otherwise there are quite some bottlenecks to fly the FS5 properly on a gimbal.
(The cable of the FS5 monitor is too short and too thick to be usable in a gimbal configuration)

Any experiences and insights are welcome :-)
Old June 5th, 2016, 10:42 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: FS5 in a gimbal: bottlenecks?

As I explain in my FS5 master class, if you turn on any Markers, a side-effect will be that only the time code, zebra, peaking, and face detection frames can be output to an external monitor. All the other displays, such as audio meters, memory card capacity, white balance, SteadyShot, and so forth will be entirely gone from any external monitor that you're using. Also, Markers can never be output to an external monitor. So turn off markers and you should be good to go.

Variable ND control isn't built into Content Browser Mobile yet because very few cameras have that new function. But it might be added later.
Old June 5th, 2016, 02:55 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: FS5 in a gimbal: bottlenecks?

Thanks!

The irony is that before I started to balance the MoVI, my friend found the markers and enabled them for some quick super slow motion tests.
I'll certainly watch the masterclass when I'll be using the FS5 in a more serious way than little tests like this:

(800fps)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5