FS5's XDCAM update - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old July 13th, 2016, 07:05 PM   #46
Space Hipster

Re: FS5's XDCAM update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
Just curious, does anybody have the opinion that the MPEG-2, 8bit 4:2:2, 50MBp/s, CODEC is a "professional" CODEC but the H.264, 10bit, 4:2:2, 50Mbp/s CODEC is NOT "professional"?

I must say that I really under estimated the current demand today for MPEG-2. I really thought that H.264 had already successfully replaced the majority of the desire for MPEG-2.

I guess I was wrong. I wonder how long MPEG-2 demand will continue for. 2 years?...3 years?...even more?

CT

You kind of answered your own question: the current demand for HD422. It's not us shooters who are picking the format, it's our broadcast clients. I would love for them to take XAVC-L, and in time they might do so. I try to sell XAVC when I can, but the clients have the final say.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 04:55 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Most of my clients ask for mpeg-2 422 50mbp/s and with my pmw-200 and X200 i give them this format,and often copy mxf files to a professional disc or a hard disk.
I know FS5 wasn't made for the "broadcast" world but it's really silly to think about the X70 as a broadcast little camera and not the FS5! like i said before in this thread i would have gladly pay for this upgrade.
Now the only option I have is using my lovely/priceless Nanoflash to record the mxf file from it so i can give my clients what they demand.
Old July 27th, 2016, 06:23 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Just passing on information from a broadcast equipment supplier...he's been told that there should be announcement about this from Sony at IBC.

It will be interesting to see if this becomes a reality or not...
Kevin Langdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2016, 05:26 AM   #49
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Langdon View Post
Just passing on information from a broadcast equipment supplier...he's been told that there should be announcement about this from Sony at IBC.

It will be interesting to see if this becomes a reality or not...
Thanks, Kevin! I hope it's good news.
Old September 9th, 2016, 01:29 PM   #50
Space Hipster

And now it's official!

IBC 2016: Sony PXW-FS5 Gets MPEG2 HD 422 Recording as Paid Upgrade License | 4K Shooters
Old September 9th, 2016, 01:41 PM   #51
Vortex Media

Just one more illustration of what a fantastic value the FS7 is.
Old September 9th, 2016, 06:23 PM   #52
Major Player

Paying for features that are locked down otherwise. When did cameras turn into video games? Pay for the game, then keep getting rinsed for the extra features you need to play it to the maximum.

This stuff should have been built into the camera from the start. Although since the cameras shipped in an unfinished state perhaps Sony spied an opportunity to make a few quid from the broadcast market.

Thankfully unless a broadcast client is forcing your hand, most of us won't need to stump up for this. But it's still a pretty poor show from Sony. I could accept it if it was for 50 dollars, but for nearly 500 dollars? Come on!
Old September 9th, 2016, 09:46 PM   #53
Regular Crew

This codec is only for HD ? no 50p,no 4k?
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 09:37 AM   #54
Vortex Media

MPEG HD 422 (aka, XDCAM) can never do better than 1080P @ 30 fps with 8-bit color on any camera the offers that codec.

It's an excellent broadcast quality codec, but it's not capable of more exotic functions, such as 4K and high frame rates. That's why XAVC was created.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5