FS5's XDCAM update at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old June 15th, 2016, 09:32 PM   #1
Space Hipster

FS5's XDCAM update

Anyone heard of a release date for the XDCAM firmware update? it was supposed to be released in June.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 09:37 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: FS5's XDCAM update

I'm also interested in knowing when this is going to be released. Anyone have any info?
Kevin Langdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 08:33 PM   #3
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
Anyone heard of a release date for the XDCAM firmware update? it was supposed to be released in June.
Sorry, I don't understand your question. What update? Are you saying that Sony announced they were putting XDCAM codecs on the FS5? If so that is so, I missed it. What is your source?
Old June 20th, 2016, 12:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Doug, Sony announced this at the same time as the version 2 firmware update (auto ND etc.) and the paid raw update.

Like the raw update it requires purchase of another (i.e. separate) software key that unlocks just this feature and it was indicated it will cost a similar amount to the raw one...but it has yet to appear on the Sony Pro sites for purchase and download yet. They still have 10 days though!

Personally, I won't be buying this feature, but I can see how it would be great for some - and of course now we know why they put the XDCAM monica on the FS5 body!
Old June 20th, 2016, 05:04 AM   #5
Vortex Media

Can you give us a link to a web page where this was announced by Sony or a credible source? Thanks in advance.
Old June 20th, 2016, 06:02 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Doug, Sony announced this at the same time as the version 2 firmware update (auto ND etc.) and the paid raw update.
Pretty sure they didn't.
Old June 20th, 2016, 06:49 AM   #7
Space Hipster

HD Warrior makes a reference to the update here:

HD Warrior » Blog Archiv » Sony PXW-FS5 Paid/free FW update ?500 to v.2 and FS7 Free upgrade

Videomaker here:

https://www.videomaker.com/videonews...or-fs5-and-fs7

quote: Firmware 2.0 for the FS5 adds auto variable ND filters, GPS function and zebra lever setting, and will be available for free to users beginning in May 2016. Paid upgrades include an option for a 1080p MPEG2 422 50Mbps codec and a RAW upgrade option that adds 4K RAW output as well at 4K and 2K slow motion settings.

And this graphic, which I believe is from Sony:
Attached Thumbnails
FS5's XDCAM update-image004.jpg  
Old June 20th, 2016, 07:05 AM   #8
Space Hipster

Here's a German reference. Not sure what it says.

Sony CBKZ-SLMP MPEG-2 Upgrade für die PXW-FS5 & PXW-X70 | Schweizer AG

I've looked for the upgrade for the FS5, but so far, I've only found it for sale for the X70.
Example:

http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/br...slmp/overview/

I don't know if Sony changed their mind, or if there's still more work involved before they release an FS5 version of the firmware.
Old June 20th, 2016, 08:17 AM   #9
Trustee

Is there still a substantial market left that demands MPEG 2 that can't edit h.264 today?

I can understand h.264 in 4k being a pain for some older work flows to deal with. But h.264 in 1080 is generally not a problem for semi-modern systems.

This is not to mention the h.264 vs MPEG 2 image quality improvements.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2016, 09:11 AM   #10
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
Is there still a substantial market left that demands MPEG 2 that can't edit h.264 today?

I can understand h.264 in 4k being a pain for some older work flows to deal with. But h.264 in 1080 is generally not a problem for semi-modern systems.

This is not to mention the h.264 vs MPEG 2 image quality improvements.

CT
XDCAM is still, by far, the most requested codec for broadcast use. That, and the Canon equivalent. It's pretty much my bread and butter.
In fact, I lost a job last week because the client specifically requested XDCAM HD. They didn't want XAVC, as much as I tried to sell the codec to them.

This upgrade for the FS5 can't come soon enough.
If there won't be an upgrade, I may have to invest in a used XDCAM second camera or upgrade to the FS7. Maybe I should have held onto my PMW-300.

eta - On a positive note, I'm beginning to see more shoots using the Sony mirrorless cameras, like the A7s and 6300. The FS5 integrates into this workflow.
Old June 20th, 2016, 10:51 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
And this graphic, which I believe is from Sony:
500 Euros to enable a tick box in the firmware. Still this is the first mention I've heard of it.
Old June 20th, 2016, 11:05 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Sony knows how to milk the cows, I can understand that they would charge extra for a raw upgrade but 500 euro for a simple mpeg2 codec is ridiculous for a camera in this price class.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2016, 12:01 PM   #13
Space Hipster

Yeah, it's a lot. But I'll get it, because I have definite use for the codec, more so than the 4K RAW update.

At least the camera will live up to its XDCAM logo on the body.
Old June 20th, 2016, 12:09 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I think many will have a use for this codec and will gladly pay extra for it, only the fact that the camera has "xdcam" printed on it's side makes it even more ridiculous from Sony to force this upon it's buyers as a 500 euro upgrade, it should have been offered for free, period.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2016, 12:27 PM   #15
Major Player

Had forgotten the XDCAM logo on the side. One might argue that as the logo is on the side, the camera should be XDCAM capable out of the box.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5