Types of Sony lens image stabilisation ??? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old June 25th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Types of Sony lens image stabilisation ???

Can anyone explain Sony's image stabilisation standards together with which one will offer the best stabilisation on a FS5?

So far I've come across:

Optical SteadyShot
Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode
Balanced Optical SteadyShot

I'm currently researching/considering the Sony 18-200mm PZ (SELP18200) which has 'Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode'. But the only other two Sony lenses I have to compare it against are the 35mm (SEL35F18) and 18-105mm kit lens (SELP18105). Both of these have standard OSS and I'm not blown away by their image stabilisation compared with the IS on my old Canon XF300.

So I'm trying to work out if the extra 'Active Mode' aspect on the SELP18200 brings anything to the party?
Old June 25th, 2016, 10:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Types of Sony lens image stabilisation ???

I used to use the SELP18200 - which is the only lens compatible with Sony's 'Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode' that I know - with my FS100 (both sold now). Having now the FS7 with the 28-135mm kit lens (which only support standard Optical SteadyShot) I can confirm that the Active mode is much more effective; in fact this feature is - IMHO - the only thing that makes the 18-200mm an "interesting lens"...

Piotr
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2016, 02:15 AM   #3
Trustee

I use the Sony 18-200mm PZ as my main lens on my Sony A7s. The Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode works great. Previously I owned the Sony 28-135 f4mm and this was my main lens on my Sony A7s however after shooting many tests on the two lenses I sold the Sony 28-135 f4mm and stayed with the 18-200mm PZ.

I think the 18-200mm PZ and A7s combo is a a winner.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2016, 03:49 AM   #4
Major Player

So would I be right in thinking the 18-200mm PZ OSS 'Active Mode' will definitely work with the FS5, ie it's not body specific?

Also with this lens can a variable zoom be achieved via the rocker zoom on the FS5's smart grip? Thus if you press harder on the rocker the speed of the zoom will change. If so is this in any way affected by the position of the H M L switch on the lens?

Finally will the FS5's face detection work with this lens?
Old June 26th, 2016, 05:22 AM   #5
Trustee

Good questions mate, I'm not familiar with the FS5 so I have no advice here.

Cheers
Old June 27th, 2016, 08:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Denny View Post

I think the 18-200mm PZ and A7s combo is a a winner.
Simon, that lens is native APS-C so am I right assuming you use the A7s in crpped mode?
Also I have the a6000 and the 16-50 power zoom kit lens zoom switch allows you to optically zoom, then almost seemlessly continue to digitally zoom if that mode is turned on in the camera. Do you know if the 18-200 PZ does the same?
Mervyn Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 03:02 AM   #7
Trustee

Yes, the Sony 18-200mm is for cropped sensor/ APS-C cameras, it's really a great lens.

Digital zoom would be in the A7s body/software and I think using the 18-200mm will work, I have no need for extra zoom so have never tried this. If you need extra zoom grab the A7sM2, I did see on YouTube or something where 4K, digital zoom and the 18-200mm worked well.

Cheers
Old June 28th, 2016, 05:31 AM   #8
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Davey View Post
Can anyone explain Sony's image stabilisation standards together with which one will offer the best stabilisation on a FS5?

So far I've come across:

Optical SteadyShot
Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode
The short answer is that regular version of Steadyshot performs best on medium and telephoto focal lengths when you're standing stationary and zoomed in to the subject. On the other hand, Active Steadyshot is designed wide angle run & gun shooting where the whole camera is in motion. Not too many lenses at this time have Active Steadyshot.
Old June 28th, 2016, 05:50 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks guys. My new SELP18200 turns up later today. I look forward to experiencing what 'Active Mode' can bring my style of shooting. Certainly I do a lot of run and gun, so for me it could turn out to be an invaluable aid.

But we'll see.
Old June 28th, 2016, 06:54 AM   #10
Major Player

For those who are interested I think this is how the land lies re Sony's stabilisation systems:

OSS - the standard on many of our lenses, involving a single moving element inside the lens.

OSS - Active Mode - I'm not 100% sure if this is true, but it appears it works through several moving elements in the lens (not the body). At the Wide end only there is a marked improvement (x10) in camera shake. At the tele end it's identical to standard OSS (according to one Sony source below).

Balanced Optical SteadyShot - the entire lens and sensor move/compensate and the improvement (x13) is at both ends, thus wide and tele.

This info came from these Sony linked sources:

https://community.sony.com/t5/Camcor...ot/td-p/510311
Handycam | Optical SteadyShot (Active Mode)
Optical SteadyShot (Active mode)
Sony demoes benefits of SteadyShot Intelligent Active Mode on the Xperia Z5 | Xperia Blog

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5