Comparison of Internal Recording on FS5 vs. RAW output to Odyssey 7Q+ - Page 3 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old August 8th, 2017, 03:33 AM  
Regular Crew

Re: Comparison of Internal Recording on FS5 vs. RAW output to Odyssey 7Q+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
Ole,

You ask some great questions here. Yes, the FS5 uses the same sensor and raw readout technology as the FS700. They essentially took an FS700, gave it and awesome new ND filter, new XAVC-L CODEC and put it all into a spectacular, well designed, ergonomic body.

However, so many people were stunned by Sony's decision to raise the minimum ISO in SLOG to 3200 over the FS700's 2000 ISO. That really pissed allot of people off.

You have to remember though,..when the FS700r was developed, it was a "stand alone" Sony camera in it's price range. The FS700 enjoyed that fact that it had no FS7 above it to cannibalize in it's day. (The FS7 had not been invented yet) So Sony seemed to give the FS700 everything it could in those days...it was fully optimized for image quality.

Fast forward a few years and we now have the FS5 and the FS7. These two cameras can clearly overlap markets if Sony is not careful to separate them. The FS7 is a GREAT selling camera for Sony and they certainly want to keep that model protected form the FS5 as best they can.

So, in my opinion (and many others too), Sony carefully made sure that there were strong image quality reasons to favor the FS7 over the cheaper FS5. I believe noise processing was one of them. Sony seemed to allowe noise in to the FS5 that it does NOT allow on the FS7. I also suspect that the FS5's low pass filter is lowered on the FS5 which slightly "softens" it's image over the FS7 and even FS700's image. (low pass theory is only a guess) Yes, the FS7 (and I believe the FS700) is clearly cleaner and sharper than the FS5.

Good news though.....Sony has officially decided to return it's minimum SLOG ISO back to FS700 levels!!! The next FS5 firmware WILL allow it to have the original FS700's 2000 ISO!!!

I'm really glad that Sony had has reversed it's original "crippling" decision and restore it to where it always belonged in the first place. I think they were just "over zealous" about protecting the FS7 and got carried away. Also, that original FS5 1.0 firmware was absolutely noisy as Hell. It's CODEC was shearing edges like crazy. So many people said "yuck!" that Sony publically aknowledged it and decided to clean it up on the next release.

Interesting though....it's internal XAVC does not do the FS5 justice. In my opinion that CODEC is badly tuned down. Plain HDMI ProRes recordings look noticeably better that's internal CODEC and raw recordings look very FS7-like at at the same ISO.

So,...two cameras take the same sensor's raw data....pass it through different processing and record to XAVC with very different noise results. Take them both raw out to a Shogun and they look about the same. The only question one could ask is....what in the Hell is the FS5 doing to it's image processing between raw to H.264 that the FS7 is NOT doing? An Atomos Shogun doesn't "tweak down" either cameras raw image processing and you get similar image.....right?

BTW,...we are hearing strong rumors that Sony is about to update the FS5 with a new model already. Dont do anything until NAB this month.

One other thing. Its completely and thoroughly unfair to compare the low light ability of the FS5 against a complete low light monster that is the A7S-II. The A7S-II uses a much larger FF sensor than the super35 chip on the FS5. The A7S-II sensor is also a much newer generation architecture than the FS5's 5 year old chip. Its unfair to compare the A7S-IIs signal to noise ratio to ANY Sony camera...FS7, F5, F55 or even F65! Nothing will touch the A7S-II in that catagory.

The FS5 is designed to compete against BlackMagic, JVC and Canon models...which it does very very well.
CT
Any news on improved file quality on the FS5 with the new 4.01 firmware?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Google