E PZ 18–110mm F4 G OSS. The lens you've been waiting for at a price you can't afford. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old September 9th, 2016, 09:03 AM   #1
Trustee

E PZ 18–110mm F4 G OSS. The lens you've been waiting for at a price you can't afford.

E PZ 18?110*mm F4 G OSS | SELP18110G | Sony US

Everything I want in a lens for the FS5, but jeez, $3500? A little steep. Maybe it will street for less.

Side note, and this is totally off-topic: Even the guy who makes videos for Sony has to hear "CAN YOU START IT WITH A TITLE SLIDE? IF YOU DON'T START IT WITH A TITLE SLIDE, NOBODY WILL KNOW WHAT IT'S ABOUT."
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 01:35 PM   #2
Space Hipster

Re: E PZ 18–110mm F4 G OSS. The lens you've been waiting for at a price you can't aff

I want this lens...but I'm going to stick to my 18-105 and 28-135 for now. The price tag is..whew.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 04:07 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: E PZ 18–110mm F4 G OSS. The lens you've been waiting for at a price you can't aff

I thought the same. What would be the upside though when you already have metabones and Canon lenses? The 2 stop gain is a plus for Canon, better stabilisation (?) and focus for Sony. What else?
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 09:17 PM   #4
Trustee

I can think of a lot of reasons why I'd like this one, 18-110 is a great range, f/4 is respectable, the three mechanical (presumably) rings are a huge bonus. $1000 would be doable, $1500 would be reachable... $2k maybe? $3500 is kind of a long way from there IMHO.
Old September 10th, 2016, 05:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

f4...a little slow for my work. And the focusing is ....mechanical or by wire? Is the zoom manual and power with the ability to manually zoom in, grab focus and get back out? In other words, is this a real cine lens or a cobbled together G lens with some cine capabilities? Just asking since I don't see these features mentioned anywhere.
Old September 10th, 2016, 09:13 AM   #6
Trustee

My only evidence that is's mechanical focus/iris/zoom (and not f/i/z by wire) is that it would be a true crime against humanity to do focus (et al) by wire and charge $3500 for the lens. I also looked for that information in the literature and couldn't find it. Surely when they start shipping, it'll be obvious.
Old September 10th, 2016, 11:01 AM   #7
Major Player

If you watch the video linked in the first post in this thread, you'll see at :21 the operator pulls the focus ring back. This looks similar to the lens on the Z7U I once owned. It had two positions. In the forward position you get fly-by-wire focusing, including automatic focus. Pull it back and you get true manual focusing.
Old December 13th, 2016, 06:43 AM   #8
Contributor

That is a hell of a lot of money for a lens that only covers APS-C and Super35 - at least the FE PZ 28-135 F4 covers full frame and therefore works well with the alpha series cameras.

18 on super 35 is the equivalent of about 27 angle of view on FF so not exactly an engineering miracle from Sony. One would hope its sharper than the older FE lens.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2016, 09:39 AM   #9
Major Player

So were you seriously considering the even slower Canon 18-80 for over $5K? or the slightly faster Fujinon 20-120 T3.5 for just a bit over 18K? or maybe the Zeiss 21-100 T/2.9-3.9 for just under 10K?
Considering that those are the 3 lenses that this one is competing with, I'd say the price is quite reasonable if the quality is there... The real test is in the ergonomics and image quality.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2016, 02:46 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Berger View Post
If you watch the video linked in the first post in this thread, you'll see at :21 the operator pulls the focus ring back. This looks similar to the lens on the Z7U I once owned. It had two positions. In the forward position you get fly-by-wire focusing, including automatic focus. Pull it back and you get true manual focusing.
Uh, no. It's going to be like the EX1 where it's using the backfocus element to do the focus despite the ring being snapped to the "Full MF" function. This is the only way they can claim no lens breathing. Do a test: see if you can maintain focus in FULL MF during a snap zoom. If you can't, the focus is a servo, like on the XDCAM EXs.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2016, 08:24 AM   #11
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sperling View Post
So were you seriously considering the even slower Canon 18-80 for over $5K? or the slightly faster Fujinon 20-120 T3.5 for just a bit over 18K? or maybe the Zeiss 21-100 T/2.9-3.9 for just under 10K?
Considering that those are the 3 lenses that this one is competing with, I'd say the price is quite reasonable if the quality is there... The real test is in the ergonomics and image quality.
Ahh - no. Those lenses will all be in a different league to the Sony. No I was comparing it to Sony's own FE offering which is basically the same lens made for FF only cheaper. I was also pointing out that it is usually much cheaper in optical design to cover an APS-C image circle over a FF image circle. That is why I couldn't understand the price differential.

The two lenses look almost identical in design and probably share parts and electronics. One is wider on APS-C or Super 35 but has an almost identical angle of view to the other on a full frame body like the A7S.

Yes it has some nice video centric features but if it is like the 28-135 then it will have a plastic body, CA that depends on in camera correction (which the FS700 doesn't have), softer than a vintage Angineux and a fragile mount that breaks during transport and can't be repaired ( I haven't broken mine but plenty have) - that is why I wouldn't even start to compare it with a Cabrio. Also a non-broadcast zoom. For all that I like mine but I wouldn't spend more on alens I consider similar vale.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 09:01 AM   #12
Trustee

I wonder when they will actually deliver this lens? BH Photo says Feb 10 2017. Used to be November 2016.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 05:34 PM   #13
Major Player

It looks better for APS-C cameras than the 28-135, but for $3500?? Ouch
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 08:48 PM   #14
Major Player

Just took delivery yesterday of this lens w/ the FS7 MII kit yesterday. Still setting the camera up, but my first impression with the lens is pretty impressive for the money. One thing of note (I've not really checked it out fully yet) is Sony really paid attention to the complaints about the servo on the 28-135. I bought this lens mainly to have a parfocal zoom for those times I need one, but plan on mainly using primes and Canon glass w/ Metabones as I have on my other FS7. This lens however, has an amazing servo zoom! Every bit as smooth and sloooooow as my broadcast Canon glass was for my Beta. Ramps well, no lag that I can tell as of yet. Big improvement over the 28-135!
Old February 26th, 2017, 06:52 PM   #15
Contributor

So the servo's good - be very interested in your impressions of the actual glass - sharpness and CA, both of which were a problem on the 28-135..
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5