Recommended Sony Lenses for the FS5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old September 11th, 2016, 09:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Recommended Sony Lenses for the FS5

I currently have the kit lens that came with the FS5 which I use for general gvs and a Zeiss 55mm 1.8 prime for interviews.

As I also have a Sony A7s with the 28-70mm kit lens, it makes sense for me to keep with Sony lenses as I can interchange them between the two cameras and I don't have to buy additional adapters, etc.

With this in mind, I'm looking to buy another prime which is a bit wider than the 55mm which is a great lens, but also has to take into account the 1.5 crop factor on the FS5.

I'm toying between:

SEL3518 with OSS
SEL20F28
SEL35F28Z
SEL28F20

Anyone have experience of any of these lenses for video, as the online reviews I've seen are mainly from photographers.

Sony's website says the SEL3518 is fully compatible with the FS5, though I'm not entirely sure what this means compared to other E mount lenses. The OSS would also be a bonus for any handheld work, so this could be the one to consider?
Kevin Langdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 10:53 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Recommended Sony Lenses for the FS5

I picked up the SEL35F18 a few months back. This was the first piece of test footage I took with it using 200fps but no grading:
Old September 11th, 2016, 10:58 AM   #3
Major Player

If you do a lot of outdoor run-n-gun and want to stay in the Sony camp, the SELP18200 PZ is worth a look. For outdoor stuff I use it more than anything else since it is so versatile across that range.
Old September 11th, 2016, 12:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm not really looking for a zoom. How do you find the 35mm with OSS on a day to day basis - is it wide enough for Gvs and good enough for interviews?
Kevin Langdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 01:15 PM   #5
Major Player

Personally I really like the Sony 35mm. For my style of shooting it's great.

I think it's about right as a prime for GV's. 50mm is too close and much less than 30mm is too wide if you are trying to isolate something.

The OSS is ok, but 35mm on a 1.5 crop still puts you fairly close, so some of it will be down to how steady you are handheld. My problem is I came to the FS5 from a Canon XF300, where the overall steadishot feature is better than Sony's in lens version. So it kind of depends what you are used to as to whether you'll think the OSS in good on this lens. You'll definitely see the difference if you turn it off though.

I think it's a good lens for interviews. Going down to f2 or f2.8 gives you a reasonably nice shallow DOF even if the background 1-2 metres away. Also the bokeh seems good to me. Finally f1.8 is nice for those emergency low light scenarios/interviews.
Old September 11th, 2016, 02:21 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info.
Kevin Langdon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5