DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   PZ 18-105 4.0G OSS backfocus issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/532704-pz-18-105-4-0g-oss-backfocus-issue.html)

Roland Schulz September 14th, 2016 02:45 AM

PZ 18-105 4.0G OSS backfocus issue

On my a6300 I found that my Sony 18-105 4.0G OSS shows a backfocus error, means the lens doesn't hold focus while zooming. I find this strange for a PZ lens.
What about yours, same problems or is yours parfocal corrected?!

Christopher Young September 14th, 2016 04:06 AM

Re: PZ 18-105 4.0G OSS backfocus issue

Have you got the latest firmware update on your lens and camera? The 18-105 also had back focus issues on the Sony FS5.

The FS5 upgraded with its latest firmware along with the 18-105 with upgrade v3.0 firmware fixed the back focus problem. Maybe a similar story with the 6300? The lens firmware can be downloaded from here.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...d#/downloadTab

Make sure you read the list on the range of E-Mount cameras you CANNOT USE to upgrade the lens firmware.

The latest 6300 firmware, v1.10, if you are not running it can be downloaded from here for the ILCE6300, ILCE6300/B, ILCE6300L/B

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...d#/downloadTab

and from here for the ILCE6300L, ILCE6300L/B

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...OC=3#/howtoTab

Though I notice that the ILCE6300L/B is covered by both download pages... wonder why that is?

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Roland Schulz September 14th, 2016 05:33 AM

Hi Chris,
yes, I have the most recent FW installed on both the camera and the lens.

Christopher Young September 14th, 2016 09:00 PM

Roland.
Hmm! This lens seems to work fine on the A7S, the FS700, the FS7 and now the FS5. Have you tried any other 18-105s on your 6300? Maybe you have a faulty lens? Also to see if it is the lens can you try it on a different model camera to see if this loss of focus issue exists. If the problem raises it head on other camera bodies I would feel pretty sure you have a dud lens. In which case i would be taking it back to the dealer for exchange. Other than that I can't really think of anything else to suggest. Good luck!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Nigel Davey September 15th, 2016 09:56 AM

As I understand it even with the latest firmware this lens is not parfocal in manual. Roland were you expecting it to be?

Cliff Totten September 15th, 2016 01:43 PM

I wanted to like this lens. On my FS5, I found that when zooming even slowly, you could see the FS5 fixing the lens correction. As most of you know, this lens requires the camera to "warp" the image from the lens to normalize it. When zooming, the FS5 can't keep up with the real-time action so perfectly. So the image shifts and bends here and there on the movement.

Also, I wasn't happy with the speeds the lens had. You can creep at one very slow speed bit a slight movement more made the lens "jolt" into the next speed.

It all wasn't "too" bad but I returned it anyway.

CT

Roland Schulz September 16th, 2016 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Davey (Post 1920946)
As I understand it even with the latest firmware this lens is not parfocal in manual. Roland were you expecting it to be?

Yes, I had expected this since it's only some little software and for a powerzoom - yes, I had expected this!

Roland Schulz September 16th, 2016 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Totten (Post 1920956)
I wanted to like this lens. On my FS5, I found that when zooming even slowly, you could see the FS5 fixing the lens correction. As most of you know, this lens requires the camera to "warp" the image from the lens to normalize it. When zooming, the FS5 can't keep up with the real-time action so perfectly. So the image shifts and bends here and there on the movement.

Also, I wasn't happy with the speeds the lens had. You can creep at one very slow speed bit a slight movement more made the lens "jolt" into the next speed.

It all wasn't "too" bad but I returned it anyway.

CT

You want to say your lens adapted the right focus, even with a short delay?! Mine doesn't do this - never (on a6300).

Marcus Durham September 16th, 2016 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Davey (Post 1920946)

I only use the camera in manual and the lens is now electronically parfocal. For normal use it performs exactly as I'd expect (although I still have slight paranoia from the early days when it didn't so end up checking everything twice).

Roland Schulz September 16th, 2016 02:19 PM

Marcus, interesting, on which camera please?!

Christopher Young September 17th, 2016 01:08 AM

Not using it that often on the FS7 but when used manually once focused at the long end it consistently holds focus from tight to wide. In manual mode using a zoom stick on the zoom ring allows you to crash zoom pretty quickly and it still manages to track true and holds focus. Not bad for a cheap rubbery focus lens.

I don't tend to focus while rolling, well very rarely, a habit of old film training and working. To aid the focusing I assigned the "Push AF/Focus Hold" to button #5 on the handle. With that assignment it focuses as fast as I can manually on this lens but with a much, and I mean much, higher percentage of getting it spot on on the first go.

The Sony 18-105 has some quirks for sure but has it place in the kit. There is not much else around with a 5.8 x zoom range. There is better out there for sure but for the price you can buy this 18-105 for you can't really complain complain about its performance. A shame it seems to work on some model Sony cams quite well but not on others.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Marcus Durham September 17th, 2016 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland Schulz (Post 1921017)
Marcus, interesting, on which camera please?!

FS5. This was widely reported as being fixed when the lens firmware update was released and others confirmed it including myself. Both the camera and the lens must be on the latest firmware. That means upgrading both, not the FS5 on its own.

Marcus Durham September 17th, 2016 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Young (Post 1921036)
The Sony 18-105 has some quirks for sure but has it place in the kit. There is not much else around with a 5.8 x zoom range. There is better out there for sure but for the price you can buy this 18-105 for you can't really complain complain about its performance. A shame it seems to work on some model Sony cams quite well but not on others.

For the price you won't get better (if you buy it as part of the kit) which is why I recommend if people are buying an FS5 they do get the kit lens with it. It's not perfect but the firmware update delivered a vast improvement in performance.

Roland Schulz September 17th, 2016 05:19 PM

Unluckily this lens seems not to be parfocal on my a6300, even with the most recent FW 1.10 and 3 (lens)). But beside that, especially for that money, this is a really great and versatile lens (at least my third sample).