DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   New V-mount set + battery options (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/532921-new-v-mount-set-battery-options.html)

Jeroen Wolf October 22nd, 2016 11:36 AM

New V-mount set + battery options

I have chosen for a Lanparte V-mount plate in combination with Rolux batteries. (Yes, Doug, it's all Chinese;-) ! And why not- even when it's not Chinese, it's still Chinese these days...)

I did not buy the V-mount plate via eBay though, but at a reputable AV-shop in Amsterdam so that I knew I would get support.

After some research, I opted for the Rolux batteries. Rolux is a solid, longstanding manufacturer of batteries.(whose products are sold under many different, top of the line names.)

Anyway, I bought the battery on eBay for around $130 for a 130Wh version. I noticed that the more powerful batteries have a steep increase in price. A 160Wh model is around twice the price of the 130Wh model. Why is that? And what would be the difference in runtime?

I'm tempted to get a few more 130Wh models. I don't use external monitors and use them exlusively to power the camera and an occasional on-camera light.

Jeroen Wolf October 24th, 2016 12:10 PM

Re: New V-mount set + battery options

I noticed that the more powerful batteries have a steep increase in price. A 160Wh model is around twice the price of the 130Wh model. Why is that? And what would be the difference in runtime?

Any ideas, anyone?

Jeroen Wolf October 27th, 2016 12:10 PM

I guess there are no V-mount users on the forum... or they're all Chinese and don't speak English...

Christopher Young October 28th, 2016 04:00 AM

Jeroen ~

Yes there are some V-Loc users out here. What I've learned over the years having had a number of cameramen working for me who seemed to go through batteries like there was no tomorrow might throw some light on the subject.

I now use Beillen 150Wh batteries that enable the best part of about 4.5hours plus. I find the 150's life span is better than the 160's over a number of years. The internal packs aren't 'tweaked' quite as hard. I believe they use the same battery packs but their internal charge monitoring chips have their charge maximum reduced.

Also with Li-ion V-Loc batteries consider cycle life as a function of DEPTH OF DISCHARGE. A partial discharge reduces stress and prolongs battery life. Elevated temperature and high currents also affect cycle life.

DOD Re CYCLES

100% DoD 300–500

50% DoD 1,200–1,500

25% DoD 2,000–2,500

10% DoD 3,750–4,700

In 4K on the FS7 the BPU-60 (genuine Sony ones) claim to give you about two hours, and three hours on the BPU-90s. On Sony's figures of 30Wh per hour I guess with a 160 your theoretical would be 160Wh divided by 30Wh should give you around 5.5 hours run time. I think pretty safe at 5 hours but I have never run the FS7 to end of battery.

From experience though I learned that If you do run V-Loc batteries via external cable you need to re-set your FS7 external DC Low Voltage #1 and #2 settings. By default these are set to 11.5v and 11.0v by default. These levels are okay for external power supplies but if these voltages are applied to a 14.8v V-Loc battery you will end up with problems. Virtually no warning before the camera cuts out. Not nice in the middle of a shot. On top of which you can drastically reduce the life expectancy of your batteries as you would be going well past their recommended minimum depth of discharge.

14.8volt V-Loc batteries are often built around 4 x 3.6 volt Li-ion packs. 4 x 3.6 = 14.4 volt. Each pack fully charged come up to 4.2 volt. 4 x 4.2 volt = 16.8 volt. A voltage you are likely to see from a battery straight off the charger. So as not to damage the batteries and to ensure you don't go below the minimum battery levels you will need to re-adjust the two Low Voltage levels in the FS7 "System/Camera DC In Alarm" menu.

Seeing that most of the V-Loc batteries use 3.6 volt cells that are nominally considered discharged at 3.0 volts one can take it that 4 packs x 3 volt each means a V-Loc pack is "dead" at 12 volts. If we give this figure a 10% safety margin we can say each pack is flat at 3.3 volts. 4 x 3.3 = 13.2 volts. On that basis Low Voltage Alarm #2 could be set at 13.2 volts. If we now calculate a 15% level for Low Voltage #1 this would be 3.45 volts per pack x 4 giving us 13.8 volts.

Battery Voltage Information ? Battery University

I have mine set at 14 volts for Low #1 and #13.5 volts for Low # 2 and find I am getting plenty of warning time to enable me to pick the best time for a battery change.

The reason for the price difference I think comes down to the fact that 2250mAh batteries are much cheaper than 2700mAh batteries. If I want to buy them in small batches I have to pay somewhere around twice the price or more for the higher mAh batteries:

4 x 2250mAh = 9000mAh divided by 14.8 volt = 133.2Wh around $5.00 each = $20.00 per 4 packs

4 x 2700mAh = 10,800mAh dived by 14.8 volt = 159.84Wh around $13.00 each = $52.00 per 4 packs

https://milliamps-watts.appspot.com/

I guess the battery pack manufacturers face a similar price difference hence have to charge a lot more for the higher Wh rated packs.

I hope some of this info is useful.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Jeroen Wolf October 28th, 2016 05:50 AM

Now that's what I call an informative response! Kudo's to you mate! The fact that you can get a low battery warning on your screen with V-mount was completely unknown to me! Really very helpful.

If I can run my camera off the 130wH battery for a good 4 hours, that's plenty for me.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up, Chris- I think many others will benefit from this info as well.

Christopher Young October 28th, 2016 08:26 PM

Glad it was of some use Jeroen :)

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Anton Tokman July 21st, 2017 11:39 PM

I've just bought couple of 130Wh Rolux batteries with LCD screen. They're V-mount type, RLC-130S.
At first glance, the quality of plastic is not bad. No "Сhinese smell" if you know what I mean. :) The housing is assembled on screws, not glued as some brands used to do, thence it will be relatively easy to re-cell packs in the future.
LCD screen is essentially a voltmeter with a specific indication. I found it pretty practical. Voltage data on screen is the same as my multimeter shows.

As for battery life and reliability, I can not say anything certain now .

The drawback is the LCD screen hasn't backlight, so You must carry a flashlight to watch battery information in the dark.

Alexander Mellich July 24th, 2017 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Young (Post 1922918)
I have mine set at 14 volts for Low #1 and #13.5 volts for Low # 2 and find I am getting plenty of warning time to enable me to pick the best time for a battery change.

Thanks a lot. These are the numbers I was looking for (but was to lazy to obtain by myself).
I already noticed that the default numbers a way too low on the FS7.

My advice to others: MAXOAK batteries (no connection to this company) do have a chip and communicate with the FS7 if you use them on the XDCA-FS7. This way you get minutes/percentage instead of voltage (and it seems to be quite accurate -> when I connect the Atomos Shogun Inferno additionally then the left time drops to about half of the time before).

Cheers,
Alex